Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Diary of a Geek

Avatar; or Wild Elves Vs. Warhammer 40 K

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Let me start by saying that no person able to see the movie Avatar on the big screen should miss the opportunity to do so. Imax is better. Imax 3D should pretty much pop your geek gland's clutch. Seriously. Go watch this movie if you already haven't. The story is excellent and very well told. Sure, some stuff is telegraphed. But I am sincere when I say that I wish I had written it.

That said, you can still put it on the back burner and simmer until it is reduced to wild elves Vs. Warhammer 40 K.

The parallels are basically that. Next time you feel froggy, break out your wild elves rules for just about any FRPG or just use Warhammer equivalent rules. Then put them up against Warhammer 40 K rules, Humans.

That's what the last 20 minutes of the movie turns out to be. It's more involved than that, and I won't give any spoilers. But interpersonal relationships, tactical considerations, personal quirks and character flaws or strengths play pretty strongly during this combat.

But those facets really represent themselves throughout the entire movie. Look, it's a great story. You want to see it, if for no other reason than to remind you why you love Sigourney Weaver. And if you don't love Sigourney Weaver,* then see it to be amazed at the fact that the story is exactly as long as it needs to be, even though that length is 2 hours, 40 minutes. It's worth watching it for that long.

There's lots of little details that are really well thought out, and add just that little frisson of realism to it. The character personalities are consistent. The visuals are...

...are you still here? Go see the damn movie!
Sheesh!
*And if you don't love Sigourney Weaver, what the Hells is wrong with you?

Submit "Avatar; or Wild Elves Vs. Warhammer 40 K" to Digg Submit "Avatar; or Wild Elves Vs. Warhammer 40 K" to del.icio.us Submit "Avatar; or Wild Elves Vs. Warhammer 40 K" to StumbleUpon Submit "Avatar; or Wild Elves Vs. Warhammer 40 K" to Google

Updated 01-22-2010 at 09:07 AM by Anachronist (corrected title of game referenced)

Tags: avatar, movie Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments