Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

outrider

first online chat game part two

Rate this Entry
This is a continuation of my impressions about online chat from the July 14 blog. Now that I have some additional experience doing a chat game I have taken some additional steps to try to improve and speed up the experience. I decided to use maps and posted them to the group site and had everybody reference them for combat. This is working out ok. I have the maps gridded so the players can at least have a common reference. There are a couple of drawbacks one is , the players have far more information than they should about the layout of the place and two, I have to create a second map for secret passages and other secret places.
The second thing that I have done is to use the cut and paste function to use for room descriptions. I have the descriptions already written out for a room and just paste them. I also do the same for any of the npcs more favorite sayings. I have a priest of Tyche in one game. Part of his morning ritual is to roll two dice and pray to his deity. I just cut and paste it. I find this speeds up some parts of the game.
The toughest thing is still the time for rolling in combat. I tend to have lots of little guys attacking putting pressure on the players. It means lots of time spent rolling the dice roller. I am thinking of asking the group to allow me to roll real dice and apply the damage as needed. I think that will speed up some of the combat.
Still the other thing that slows down the game is waiting for the players to do their part. I never know if they are multi-tasking or just gone to get food or bathroom break or something. I would suggest that they informed us and gave some general instructions about what to do while they are gone.
I still prefer face to face but I can see the draw of the chat game for many players. Iím now going to experiment with Play by post.

Submit "first online chat game part two" to Digg Submit "first online chat game part two" to del.icio.us Submit "first online chat game part two" to StumbleUpon Submit "first online chat game part two" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments