Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

JessHartley

In Which We Have A Busy Week...

Rate this Entry
Wow, this has been an exciting week for me! Crazy busy (hey, this is becoming habit) so I'm going to touch lightly on what I can.

Tinker's Damn (Steampunk Card Game)
Monday, I sent off the prototype of Tinker's Damn for review by my first game company. This is thrilling, not just because the game is finally ready to show others, but because I wowed the owner/lead game designer enough with the inquiry letter to lead him to ask to see the prototype. I know that (like being published as a writer) the journey between "game creation" and "seeing your work on a gamestore shelf" is a long and arduous one, but it feels good to be taking the first baby steps, at least.
And, at the suggestion of just about everyone I've talked to in the industry, I picked up a copy of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Game-Inventors-Guidebook-Brian-Tinsman/dp/0873495527"]Brian Tinsman's The Game Inventor's Guidebook[/ame] and read it this week. What a great resource. I know now why it's so highly recommended for aspiring game creators of all sorts.

Goblin Markets Debuts (and Chart Tops)
Goblin Markets, the long-awaited (well, by me anyway) addition to the Changeling: The Lost game line finally debuted. This .pdf only product was the brainchild of noted White Wolf developer/author Ethan Skemp, and he was kind enough to let some of the rest of us play in his field-o-dreams as well.

It's been very well recieved, hitting number one on DriveThruRPG's Top Ten list within hours of its release, and holding onto that place for several days now. More information, including full color cover art, links to reviews (and a link to purchase the .pdf) can be found here.

Visit with Jeff Mariotte and Family

Despite being seemingly cursed to be out of town or otherwise booked into concrete responsibilities during every booksigning the man has had in the last two years, I finally got the chance to hang out with Jeff Marriotte and his family on Monday of Labor Day weekend. For a time, it seemed that the fates had cursed us to not meet up again, as his well pump was struck by lightning the night before, resulting in no water pressure at their home, but thanks to some dedicated (and no doubt expensive, so go buy tons of his awesome work*!) well fixer people, we were all able to get together and play some games, eat some cake (to celebrate Jeff's birthday) and talk writing.

* - Believe me, you want to do this anyway... Jeff's not only awesome and amazing, he's a fantastic (and prolific) writer who's produced both media-tie in (CSI, Spiderman, Supernatural, Buffy, Angel, Charmed, and much much more) and original (The Slab, Witch Seasons) novels, but also comics (he did the Obama comic! How awesome is that?) and a CSI DVD Game!

One Geek to Another (Geek Advice/Etiquette Column)
On Thursday, One Geek to Another was syndicated on its first remote site. Pen and Paper Games, a site dedicated to connecting gamers with games. Pen and Paper, which has a membership of just under 10 thousand folks, now hosts One Geek as a feature in its forums, where it's reaching a whole new audience. I'm very grateful to Robert from PNPG for supporting my work and providing it to his members.

Big Iron Vault, a quarterly gamer lifestyle magazine, will also be posting reprints of One Geek articles. Check out their free pdf of their current issue. Beautiful stuff, and features include an homage to Dave Arneson, DM advice on dealing with difficult players, and an exploration of descent myths and their role in RPGs.

In a similar note, I'm in discussion with several other game sites about similar syndication. If things go well, One Geek to Another should be available at a half-dozen different gaming-focused sites by the end of fall. I'm very interested in reaching out to the not-necessarily-gaming-focused geek world as well, so if you visit a geek-site that uses columns by various authors, I would love it if you would write me and let me know about it.

Or (even better) drop them a note and let them know you'd like to see One Geek to Another on their site.

My newest One Geek to Another Article, "Persistence versus Annoyance" went live this morning. New articles post every Monday morning to help you start off your week right, and can always be found on the front page of this site.

Lone Shark Games
In other news, I just finished some work for Lone Shark Games, one of the coolest game creation/event coordination companies I've ever had the good fortune to encounter. My project involved helping out with creating games for a new advertising campaign for a major food manufacturer - the project rolls out in a few weeks, and I'll be free to say more then, but - Wow! What a different scope, creating games that may be played by families across the globe, most of whom wouldn't consider themselves "gamers" at all.

I'm also working on a blog post that features an interview with Lone Shark President, Mike Selinker, where we discuss the company's recent AMAZING game/event that they created for Wizards of the Coast for the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle earlier in the month. It should be posted later this week, and I'll post here when it goes up.

Margaret Weis Productions
You may have heard me mention working on a project for Margaret Weis Producations just before GenCon. While no formal announcement about my project has been made yet, there's a new Supernatural supplement - Supernatural: The Hunt Begins - available for free download from DrivethruRPG. The Hunt Begins, written by Cam Banks and Jamie Chambers, is a great introduction to the Supernatural RPG. According to the site info: "This quickstart package contains introductory rules, four pregenerated hunter characters, and Of Wolf & Man, a Supernatural scenario based on the legend of the Beast of Bray Road. Grab some players, some dice, and hit the highway. Silver bullets optional."

(And while I can't really talk about my own project for Supernatural yet* , I would like to point readers to the Margaret Weis Productions website, where there's some very shiny cover art posted.)

*- Who would have thought there was anything more rabid than White Wolf's NDA weasels? There is! Any sort of big media company's licensing/NDA wolverines!

Pulp Gamer Podcast
I have had the good fortune to be a part of the last couple of Pulp Gamer "Out of Character" podcasts, which have just been a rollicking good time. (Seriously - and how often do you get to use that term? Rollicking good times are something to be treasured!) Check out Pulp Gamer's site, where they feature not only Out of Character, but a plethora of awesome podcasts, including Game Kennel, Seminars of the GAMA Trade Show, The d6 Generation, and a ton of other paper-game focused 'casts. They're great guys and have top notch production values. Give Out of Character a listen, to hear how much fun we were having, then listen to the rest of their shows - they're well worth your time.

RinCon Games
Many of you may have heard the super-cool news about this year's RinCon Games. One of the guests is going to be the geek-tastic Wil Wheaton (actor, writer, and all around super-geek!). There will be a plethora of other really cool guests, like James Earnest (Founder of aforementioned Lone Shark Games, and creator of CheapAss Games), Shane Hensley (creator of Deadlands and lead designer on City of Heroes/Villains), John Wick (creator of Houses of the Blooded, as well as a plethora of other awesome games),

I was just suckered into convinced to run a tabletop game of Changeling: The Lost for RinCon, so I will be running The Rose-Bride's Plight from 6pm to 10pm on Friday night. There are still seats available in the game, so if you're coming to the convention, come play with me!

Conclusion

Wow... That's a lot of "touching lightly"... And that's not even mentioning karaoke on Saturday night (Hanky Panky for the win!), or the podcast I recorded with the guys at the Podge Cast on Sunday morning, or the several hours worth of conversations I've been having with Mind Storm Labs, or the editing I just finished up for Witch Girls Adventures, or the Authors' Copies Book Sale that I've got going to try to raise funds for /another/ can't-talk-about-it-yet-but-boy-will-it-be-awesome independent project.

Submit "In Which We Have A Busy Week..." to Digg Submit "In Which We Have A Busy Week..." to del.icio.us Submit "In Which We Have A Busy Week..." to StumbleUpon Submit "In Which We Have A Busy Week..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

On Thursday, One Geek to Another was syndicated on its first remote site. Pen and Paper Games, a site dedicated to connecting gamers with games. Pen and Paper, which has a membership of just under 10 thousand folks, now hosts One Geek as a feature in its forums, where it's reaching a whole new audience. I'm very grateful to Robert from PNPG for supporting my work and providing it to his members.
    We're glad to have you, Jess!