Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

outrider

first online chat game

Rate this Entry
Last night I ran my first online chat game. I was curious about the feel vs face to faces games that I have been running for many years. I found that it was more tiring than running a f2f game. Speech is so much easier than typing constantly. I also found that it seems easier for the players to lose track of whats going on with all the text flying about. I think the dice roller isn't truly random, watching other people roll and within the game the extremes seem to crop up more often.
Another interesting thing is that I have always use miniatures or markers for the positions of the players and bad guys. It was again different telling the players the actual distance and other things without a map in place.
Given that, I thought it was fun. I could pm the players about making rolls in secret and pass information. It was interesting how the players did pass the information. I did miss tonal inflections and when I run a f2f I will get out my chair to do things so the players have a better idea of the npc and such.
I'm looking forward to trying this again.

Submit "first online chat game" to Digg Submit "first online chat game" to del.icio.us Submit "first online chat game" to StumbleUpon Submit "first online chat game" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Perhaps something you might try is a combination game where you use something like Skype to setup a conference call and also use an online dice roller. That way it is voice and you wouldn't have to type everything out.