Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Fersboo

A new campaign

Rate this Entry
I'm going to start fleshing out the campaign idea I've had rattling around my head for awhile. The first thing I must admit is that I'm going to rip off ideas from about 20 different sources. The second thing is that I don't want the players to have too much of a clue of what exactly is in store for them; I want to keep them guessing.

I love role-playing and distain when everyone meta-games, pulling in knowledge their character wouldn't know or acting in such a way as isn't very realistic. I know it is a game, however for me the game is more enjoyable if characters act accordingly to the setting/information on hand.

I haven't DM'd in years, so I'm hoping not to totally blow it. But I want to make something fun that isn't the run of the mill type of game setting.

Anyhow, I am planning on a Modern/Near Future-esque campaign set here on Earth. However, things aren't exactly as they seem and the characters have been gathered together to help protect the masses who are truly oblivious to the dangers out there. There are some though who do catch brief glimpses of the bizarre, but someone has either dissuaded them or has successfully labelled them crackpots.

Conspiracies are everywhere, aliens walk among us and the future of mankind is at hand. The characters have an uphill climb and it seems that most everyone is out to get them and those that aren't are ready to turn against them in a moments notice.

Some of the things that I'm going to use for inspiration includes:

Burn Notice (one of the few shows I'll watch)
Ronin (great movie)
Johnny Mnemonic
Fifth Element
Hudson Hawk
Constantine
The X Files (the early years before it started to blow)
Millenium
The Dark Matter campaign setting
d20 Modern setting
d20 Future setting
Spycraft 2.0 Conspiracies
d20 Apocalypse setting
David Weber's Dahak triology
Some elements from the Battletech universe

I am going to be using the Spycraft 2.0 rule set, with a little supplementation from the d20 Modern/Future rule sets. Additionally, I am going to explore playing this online also. Eventually I want to run a face-to-face campaign also.

Of course comments would be welcome and if someone wants to provide me with a few pointers or collaborate, please feel free to do so.

Submit "A new campaign" to Digg Submit "A new campaign" to del.icio.us Submit "A new campaign" to StumbleUpon Submit "A new campaign" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Adding mutagens into the game is always a plus and will keep your party guessing. Radioactive, biological, and chemical mutagens are all good challenges.
    Another idea would be to add in a wildcard. This wildcard would be some predatorial derelict species escaped from who knows what, only making an appearance from time to time. Very dangerous and very deadly.

And/or, this wildcard could even be a secret government experiment gone wrong and has escaped captivity. Some huge mutated bear like from Prophecy(movie 1970's), or some creature created by combined strengths of other super predators. Again, only rarely making an appearance.