Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Baron_Samedi

Roll of the Dice...Part III...

Rate this Entry
'Yeah, that was something else...' my customer replied...

Trying to purge the memory from my mind, i quickly changed the subject...'how's the card racket going?' His phone rang...

'Good man, i'm going up to GenCon...they've got a tourney in one of the other hotels, got a big purse, so i'm going to check it out.' he replied. Holding up a finger, he answers the phone...after a moment...'Hang on a sec,' he says to the caller...'hey man, gotta go...thanks again...come on girl...' he motions toward his daughter...

Hmm...i think to myself...what luck is that...making money off of playing games...that's the life...a perfect blend of business and lifestyle...i mean really who gets to do both? My lament was short lived...punctuated by a wry smile that carved itself onto my lips...wait a minute...i do....he he he...I work at a game store...feeling particularly proud...i leaned back in my stool...arms placed behind my back, feeling good about myself...when from behind...

'Hey do you...' a voice started...

My world, and my stool with me on it came crashing down...as did my head on the back of the display case...

'Are you okay?' the woman asked...

After my vision stopped spinning i replied 'Oh yeah... the cold tile helps...' i said savouring the sensation for just a few heartbeats more...i began to stand up...

Where did she come from, i thought...she must have snuck in when i was talking to the card shark...

It was a common occurance...even though there was only one entrance to the store, and it was only thirty feet across, you still get caught by surprise...as the lump on the back of my head was a sure testament to.

I hopped up, righting the stool, playing it off like i was the chairman of the board...'What's up?'

She smiled...sort of, it was the smile of uncertainty mixed with a dash of concern and one quarter cup of weirded-outness...

'I was wondering if you had any more of the Reaper catalogues come in...' she stated...

Wow, i thought, a female gamer...rare, but not unheard of...a female wargamer, that WAS a rare vintage...like finding a store that carries Grape flavoured Big League Chew...

Still reeling from the question, considering the person before me, and in light of the fall...it took me a moment to respond...'Uh, yeah...our--our rep came by and dropped some off...i'll go get them...' I responded in a chopped up dialogue...

'Okay...i'll just wait here...'

'Sure, i'll just be a moment...' not taking time to consider the fact that i was going to run into the....
'Oofta...' i exclaimed...the table's edge hitting my soggy midsection, folding me like painful origami...

'You okay?' she asked...'I mean if its a problem, i can...' she motioned for the door...

Let me stop here for a moment to say...that in all of my years of pursuing the hobby it is very rare indeed, at least in my experience to find a girl who games, a girl who games well is even more mysterious, and a female wargammer is even better...but the rarest of them all is a female wargamer who doesn't bear resemblance to the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man...my attraction was not in any way--carnal let say...but when faced with a 'unicorn' of this type...one doesn't take it lightly...

I all but ran to the back and grabbed the box, as yet unopened...and tore the package assunder with my hands...took a moment to collect myself...open the door and....

'Found them...i said...' looking toward the storefront where she was shaking a tub of flock...'They were stuck somewhere and I got them...'

Man did i really say that stuff???

Rather than being courteous, and handing her one, I attempted to hand her the entire twenty pound box...with about a hundred catalogues inside...like some hobby street lord...

'Oh, i just need one...' she smiled THAT smile again...the mixture of uncomfort that was almost chisled into her face now...

'Oh, well, that's fine...' I reached in and handed her one...'So,' here we go...i'm going to go for it...'Do you pl-What faction do you play?' There it was...out there...a conversation about gaming with a cute girl...who says the unicorn is unattainable?

She shook her head...'I don't play...its for my husband, he's REALLY into this stuff...he asked me to pick it up for him while he's at work...'

A blow to my ego is not a term that i would use at this point...more like discovering the Fiji Mermaid was a monkey and a fish sewn together...and i paid to see it...i paid BIG...

'Cool' was all i could come up with...'Well if he's interested, we run a group here on Tuesday nights...if he's looking for a game...'

'Alrighty, i'll tell him...' she said, trying to mask the effort to leave without running away screaming as if someone put diarrhea in her pants...

And she's gone i thought...Good, that went well...my unicorn ended up being a miner's mule with a broomhandle...awesome...

Submit "Roll of the Dice...Part III..." to Digg Submit "Roll of the Dice...Part III..." to del.icio.us Submit "Roll of the Dice...Part III..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Roll of the Dice...Part III..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments