Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Baron_Samedi

With Greater Ease is it to Spill Blood Upon the Field of Battle, than to Cast Ink Upon the Page...

Rate this Entry
Since this is my first attempt at what the outside world refers to as a 'blog', (Pardon my anachronistic nature, i don't frequent the techno-babble as much as, well, anyone.) I'll address my one passion, outside of gaming, that i've had all of my life...writing...it seems that i've come into a bit of a problem...

I've been playing RPG's in one form or another since i was 12, it started when i was introduced to a group of Grad students in town after a game of pool at the local university union...i got caught up in a torrent of dice rolling, character sheets, stat generation, grids, hexes...the maelstrom of bad puns, and even worse cheesey dialogue...but all in the name of fun that wasn't directly connected to the television.

I've been DM'ing, GM'ing, Storytelling...whatever your particular title of the individual who organizes and runs the adventure...since i was 14...and have spent most of my 'career' running the games, rather than playing...which is usually the opposite of most active members of the community...where they begin as players and gradually pick up the DM's screen and take the reins as it were.

Everytime i have tried to hand over the position to someone else, the game seems to degenerate in one form or another; players lose interest, life happens, someone moves away...schedules aren't as easy come, easy go, as we would like them to be. So invariably, i take over the game...again...and things get back in order as if nothing were amiss. I in no way mean to compliment myself...but it seems that the groups that i have feel confident in my abilities as the DM, GM, Storyteller...etc...and don't really feel comfortable with anyone else...not that i mind...but i would like to play once in a while....

In any case...i'll try to make my way to the point...i found that one of the things i like about the gaming community is that one's involvement is, in some way directly linked to the creative generation of the individual and, for the most part the game is enhanced directly in proportion to what you put in to it. (However, i will say that no matter how many hours i've put into a character or plot device, it does seem to go awry when the five minute hack-job of a barbarian seems to stumble into a finely tuned scenario and smashes its finesse into oblivion with ill tempered bravado...)
Back to Topic...

I like the fact that it allowed me for a creative outlet, especially in the domain of writing...i've always been a bibliophile...and have been an avid ready of classic literature since about the 4th grade...about the time i got started into gaming...Attempts have been made on my part to create my own works, and put my ideas upon the page...in somewhat of a passing favor...but nonetheless a dedicated effort was given...It seems that every time i attempt to create a novella...or novel, or short story of my own account...of my own original thought...it seems strained...if i were to tell the tale in the oral tradition...hey, no problem...it seems to be the written format of narrative that proves quite elusive...i've even submitted short story submissions to Black Library Publications, that handles the media tie-in stories for both the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k tabletop games...

But when it comes to writing for an RPG...the thoughts just ebb and flow like ocean currents...the winds of creativity seem limitless and after very little effort at all, a story emerges...
(Now its even easier...as i work overnights as a grocery stocker...plenty of time to think...)

Its just frustrating that i can come up with something wonderful for my players of a game that a percentage of society shirks at, whilst i attempt to conduct my works in the mainstream only to find out that my muse is partying with my psychological pool boy...

Ah well, be sure to check out the P&P Fiction group organized by the ever lovely GoddessGood...and stay tuned for more entries regarding my campaign in Ravenloft...posted on Gardens of Stone...

And in an ironic twist...i have a new project whose ideas are easy come easy go...working on an underdark campaign setting...hmmm...that will be a lot easier than coming up with an idea for a short story for Black Library by the 27th of July...Fear the Alien! More like fear the keyboard....

Pleasant something...

(And no, my narrative is not as absent minded and erratic as my own narrative above...so kindly don't bother pointing that out...)

Submit "With Greater Ease is it to Spill Blood Upon the Field of Battle, than to Cast Ink Upon the Page..." to Digg Submit "With Greater Ease is it to Spill Blood Upon the Field of Battle, than to Cast Ink Upon the Page..." to del.icio.us Submit "With Greater Ease is it to Spill Blood Upon the Field of Battle, than to Cast Ink Upon the Page..." to StumbleUpon Submit "With Greater Ease is it to Spill Blood Upon the Field of Battle, than to Cast Ink Upon the Page..." to Google

Updated 06-02-2009 at 04:49 PM by Baron_Samedi

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

"my muse is partying with my psychological pool boy..." <3 this. Keep up the good work