Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Tamerath

Evolution of the Devil Strahd

Rate this Entry
So if you've been following my blog you know I have a huge undertaking converting Castle Ravenloft's 80+ rooms. That's not as much as a challenge as all the effort going in to make Strahd the antagonist I have always dreamed about. First things first... 3.5 has a lot of good ideas for him...and 4th has even a few more. So How about we combine them shall we.

Before we begin I want to shoot out a small disclaimer that Strahd is an intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast. I'm borrowing heavily from stuff they already put out for him in Expedition Castle Ravenloft, and Open Grave.

So Let us Begin...

Count Strahd von Zarovich Level 15 Solo Skirmisher
Medium Natural Humanoid (Shapechanger, Undead) XP: 6000
Initiative +14 Senses Perception +12; darkvision, blindsight 10
HP 730; Bloodied 365; see also second wind and indestructible
Regeneration 10 (regeneration doesnít function while Strahd is exposed to direct sunlight)
AC 31; Fortitude 28; Reflex 29; Will 30
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic; see also mist form; Vulnerable 10 radiant
Saving Throws +5
Speed 6, climb 4 (spider climb); see also animal form, crippling strike, and mist form
Action Points: 2
Crippling Strike (standard; at-will) Necrotic
+17 vs. Fortitude; 3d10+3 necrotic damage, and the target is slowed until the end of Strahdís next turn. Hit or Miss: Strahd shifts up to 2 squares.
Blood Drain (standard; at-will) Healing
Requires combat advantage against the target; +17 vs. Fortitude; 3d10+3 damage, and the target is weakened (save ends), and Strahd regains 20 hit points.
Dominating Gaze (minor; at-will) Charm, Gaze
Ranged 5; +17 vs. Will; the target is dominated and takes a -2 penalty to saving throws against being dominated (save ends both). Aftereffect: The target is dazed and takes ongoing 10 psychic damage (save ends both). Strahd can only have one dominated creature at a time.
Strahdís Choking Fog (standard; sustain minor or move; encounter) Poison, Zone
Area burst 5 within 10 squares; the burst creates a zone of poisonous vapors that lasts until the end of Strahdís next turn. A creature that enters the zone or that starts itís turn in the zone takes 1d10+3 poison damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends). Sustain Minor: The zone persists. Sustain Move: the zone persists, and Strahd can move it up to 5 squares.
Animal Form (minor; at-will) Polymorph
Strahd transforms into a swarm of bats or a black wolf. He cannot use Crippling Strike or Choking Fog, though he gains new powers and statistics in addition to those he regularly has. Strahd can revert to his normal form as a minor action.
Mist Form (standard;sustain minor; encounter) Polymorph
All conditions affecting Strahd end, and he becomes insubstantial and gains fly (hover) 12 until the end of his next turn. Strahd cannot attack while in this form.
Werebat Form (minor; at-will) Polymorph
Strahd transforms into a monstrosity of both man and bat. He gains fly (hover) 8 in this new form. He cannot use his Dominating Gaze attack, but he gains new powers and statistics in addition to those he regularly has. Strahd can revert to his normal form as a minor action.
Scent of Blood
Strahd gains combat advantage against living, bloodied foes.
Second Wind (standard; encounter) Healing
Strahd spends a healing surge and regains 182 hit points. Strahd gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of his next turn.
Indestructible (when reduced to 0 hit points)
Strahdís mist form power recharges, and he uses it immediately. Strahd does not die, but he must reach his coffin within 2 hours or be destroyed.
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Supernal
Skills Bluff +20, Insight +15, Intimidate +20, Stealth +17
Str 18 (+11) Dex 20 (+12) Wis 17 (+10)
Con 18 (+11) Int 23 (+13) Cha 26 (+15)

So the largest change in this installment of Strahd is that my party couldn't possibly have even a glimmer of hope at level 10 to take down this monster. I'm planning by the time they fight Strahd in their final battle they will be level 13 or 14 and stand a better chance. What you got to remember is that Strahd is a Domain Lord in Ravenloft...he shouldn't be an easy fight...and keeping him level 15 throughout this will allow for those (crap...we should really run scenes) to those...we got him on the ropes and just might win scenes. Aside from that...Strahd is the major villian of my campaign and not only do I start him out at level 15...but he'll be back again in his 20th level...and maybe *gasp* an epic 29 or 30 solo Strahd?....only time will tell but it's definately in my campaign planning. Also as another little idea I got from both his 4th and 3.5 versions...I want ALL his major vampire underlings to have the Indestructable feature...because in My Ravenloft I don't see them just running out of hit points and dying...when my players can actively seek their coffins and nail them into their final resting place....it's just so much more fun the old way

In my next installment I'll show you my plans for the shapechanging aspects of Strahd. Yes all his new forms (swarm of bats, big black wolf, mist form, but could it be that Tamerath has other tricks up his sleeve...the answer is a DEFINATE YES).

Submit "Evolution of the Devil Strahd" to Digg Submit "Evolution of the Devil Strahd" to del.icio.us Submit "Evolution of the Devil Strahd" to StumbleUpon Submit "Evolution of the Devil Strahd" to Google

Updated 04-18-2009 at 06:36 PM by Tamerath

Categories
Campaign Logs , Gaming News , Ravenloft 4th Edition

Comments

Very cool, Tamerath. Wishing i was part of this cool campaign. keep us up to date.

Thoth-Amon
    I wish I could play with you too.

Thinking on Cinematic Effects, You could treat Strahad's Beast Forms (same as the way the Druids ability).

And How about giving Strahad Wings in Human Form (like the Dragonborn Paragon Path Power)

I am all for special effects, assuming "Supernatural Strength" I typically give werewolfs or vampires a power like this (4e): 1d10 + STR Push character 4 squares and knock it prone.

For the Blood drain? is he using his fangs? I would make it a 2-step attack (similar to what the Ghouls do). I think if it is going to be at-will, it would be better to restrict it when he is bloodied.
    Updated 04-18-2009 at 09:47 PM by Dimthar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimthar
    I wish I could play with you too.

Thinking on Cinematic Effects, You could treat Strahad's Beast Forms (same as the way the Druids ability).

And How about giving Strahad Wings in Human Form (like the Dragonborn Paragon Path Power)

I am all for special effects, assuming "Supernatural Strength" I typically give werewolfs or vampires a power like this (4e): 1d10 + STR Push character 4 squares and knock it prone.

For the Blood drain? is he using his fangs? I would make it a 2-step attack (similar to what the Ghouls do). I think if it is going to be at-will, it would be better to restrict it when he is bloodied.
    Thanks for your kind words! I did originally think about giving him Supernatural Strength with a push factor involved in his attacks...but settled on the fact he's a skirmisher...not a type that'd force you away from him..but more apt to dart in and out of the fray. Maybe he wants them close..then he can grab them up and sink those fangs into him. Hehehe..interesting thought: It was great earlier in the adventure when they saw Strahd fighting against a demon I created...the party just had a hard time with this demon...and between this demon and strahd..they knew they were going to die...so they ran..but as they looked back their final image was frozen in their minds : Strahd sinking his fangs into the neck of a demon...even as it's aura hurt strahd the fact he BIT a demon freaked them out. Great Adventure