Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

The horror of Yukon

4e D&D in with a final fantasy setting and a "mime" class for 4e

Rate this Entry
From the boards came across the final fantasy rpg (which seems pretty darn nifty).

But if one finds it complicated, or is lazy (reading the very large source book), I am taking the initiative to find the analagous forms of what is in 4e D&D and tying it to what is found in the FFRPG.

As for races, I only focused on the races of FFX and FFXII. I think there can be a pretty straightforward translation of certain races in terms of mechanics. The fluff is the big difference.

hume or humans --> humans
moogles --> gnomes seemed like best fit
bangaa --> dragonborn
viera --> elves
ronso --> half-orcs
varg (wolfmen) --> gnoll
al-bhed --> half-elves
dwarves --> dwarves
nu mou --> deva (+2 arcana instead of religion)

The jobs also seem to have a nice translation, but maybe with a bit of flavor messing.

Archer --> Ranger (archer build from PH1 or hunter version from essentials)

Dragoon --> I would do fighter on this. I would have the dailies and/or all charge related powers be "leaps". Of course have either spears or polearms. Some of the powers of barbarian may be better for charging, so maybe transfer some of those over. And any power (utility/atk) associated with jumping should be allowed to be transferred to that class. I made a dragoon in another blog post, maybe use most of those powers.

Fencer --> probably the rogue with artful dodger. Allow rapier as weapon.

Knight --> paladin, fighter, cavalier from essentials or knight from essentials

Monk --> either the actual monk or avenger. With the monk, alter the extra damage feature as an immediate reaction (hit with attack) so it is like counterstrike. Replace oath of emnity on avenger with monk's counterattack.

samurai --> too hard, pass (in terms of FF style play)

swordmaster --> either swordmage or weapon master build for fighter.

bard --> bard

chemist --> artificer fits this one ok. Trade ritual caster for alchemist. The build focused on minions may fit best.

dancer --> no good fit here. definitely a controller type though, so choose a controller and stick with controller type powers. Instead of casting the spells, you are dancing.

Engineer --> artificer (either the weapon enhancer or the armor enhancer)

gambler --> wild sorcer may work here. Just work with the fluff a bit.

mediator --> spirit shaman because of the tame but could do warlord for the rest of the class.

Mime --> I have some thought on this and will come to it at very end

thief --> rogue

black caller --> invoker or summon build for wizard (from arcane power)

black mage --> sorcerer or warlock would probably work equally well. Possibly the wizard, but black mages are all about damage not control

red wizard --> some sort of multiclass option. Bard, wizard, cleric, invoker.

sage --> same as red wizard but maybe replace invoker and wizard with warlock and sorcerer (in terms of what to multiclass with)

summoner --> i think the druid's wildshaping could mimic the concept of summoning a powerful being to fight for you. The spirit shaman could work too.

Time Mage --> tricky

White caller --> leader class multiclassed with class with summoning dailies. Cleric has some "conjuration stuff, so that might work.

Also, and this applies to the black caller, calls are one shot deals, so could change the flavor of daily powers to reflect "calling" a creature

white mage --> cleric with healer build

blue mage --> could be possible to have powers like those in the monster manual, but would take some thinking.

dark knight --> fighter multiclassed with warlock or vice-versa also could maybe do paladin, but necrotic damage instead of radiant dam on powers. The hybrid class would be a good fit. Maybe replace a class feature with this:

Darkness
encounter
free action immediate interrupt
trigger: hit target

the dark knight may choose to spend a healing surge. If he does, the atk does extra nectrotic damage equal to 1[w] (or an additional dice if not a weapon power) + con mod instead of regaining hit points.

Also the blackguard from heroes of shadow would fit nicely.

geomancer --> the warden and druid seem to fit this one well.

magic knight --> swordmage or hexblade

ninja --> rogue with two-blade warrior multiclass feat

paladin --> paladin

rune knight --> as is built, not very interesting, but again, hexblade or swordmage

so those are my takes on how to have FF flavor classes/races with 4e D&D mechanics.

as for the mime, this is kind of what I am thinking

Role: none
power source: none
Key abilities: None

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather, Hide, light shield
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, simple ranged

Bonus to defense: +1 fort, +1 ref, +1 will

HP at 1st level 12+ con score
HP/level: 5
healing surges/day: 6+con mod

trained skills: any 3

Features:

Jack-of-all-trades: gain a +1 bonus to all untrained skills

Multi-class versality: there is no limit to how many multi-class feats you take

Mimic features: Take 2 different multiclass feats (maybe only one would have to playtest this one) that you qualify. These feats do not count towards your limit of feats you get at first level.

Powers:
So for first and second level powers, they will work like this.

Mimic at-will
You can use any at-will power you have observed being used this encounter by an ally you can see and hear. This can be an at-will atk or a class feature.

Once you have "mimicked" the power, you can't use that specific power again until that ally uses the power again.

If the power is associated with a class feature (like the eldritch pact of a warlock) assume you have that feature when using the power.

1st level encounter power
Mimic Encounter power
works just like mimic at-will above, but for encounter atks and racial/class features used by ally. Can only be used once per encounter.

1st level daily power
Mimic Daily power
works just like mimic at-will above, but for daily atks, and can only be used once a day.

2nd level utility power
Mimic utility power
works like mimic at-will above, except for the following. If the power mimicked is usable once per day, you lose the use of this power until you take an extended rest. If the power mimicked is usable once per encounter, you lose the use of this power until you take a short rest. You only duplicate utility powers with this power. The power mimicked must have been observed before taking a short or extended rest.

When you get to third level, choose a 1st level encounter power of any class you are multiclassed in.

when you get to fifth level, choose a 1st level daily power of any class you are multiclassed in.

When you get to 6th level, choose a 2nd level utility power of any class you are multiclassed in.

At 7th level, choose an encounter power of 3rd level or lower from a class you are multiclassed in.

At 9th level, choose a daily power of 5th level or lower from a class you are multiclassed in.

At 10th level, choose a utility power of 6th level or lower from a class you are multiclassed in.

At 11th level, you qualify for paragon multiclassing as long as you have one multiclass feat for the class you are doing it for. I.e. you don't need the novice, acolyte, or adept powers to qualify for paragon multiclassing.

The exception is the following:

Because you only have one at-will power, don't replace it, just add an at-will power.

You can never replace any "mimic" powers.

At 13th level, you can choose to replace an encounter power with any power of 7th level or lower from a class you multiclass in or a paragon path encounter power of a paragon path you could qualify for.

at 15th level, you can choose to replace a daily power from any power of 9th level or lower from a class you multiclass in.

At 16th level, you can choose a utility power of level 10 or lower of any class you multiclass in, or choose the utility power of a paragon path you qualify for.

At 17th level, you can choose to replace an encounter power with any power of 13th level or lower from a class you multiclass in or a paragon path encounter power of a paragon path you could qualify for.

at 19th level, you can choose to replace a daily power from any power of 15th level or lower from a class you multiclass in.

At epic level, always similar to the above (powers of lower level than current level, including powers from paragon paths you qualify for [even daily powers at this point])

Submit "4e D&D in with a final fantasy setting and a "mime" class for 4e" to Digg Submit "4e D&D in with a final fantasy setting and a "mime" class for 4e" to del.icio.us Submit "4e D&D in with a final fantasy setting and a "mime" class for 4e" to StumbleUpon Submit "4e D&D in with a final fantasy setting and a "mime" class for 4e" to Google

Updated 07-28-2011 at 07:56 AM by yukonhorror

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
4e conversions

Comments

Thank you for showing how to create using the 4e rules. Your post has inspired me to create classes of my own for some of my favorite video games. It truly shows how versatile the 4e rules can be.
    I know a lot of people say all of the classes are the same, and all of the powers are the same with a different flavor and dam type, but that's what makes it a bit more versatile.

Imagination and flavor are what make the class your own, and they have provided the framework for balanced mechanics. I think some don't consider that.
    One more comment. I think if you have a concept in mind for a class, instead of coming up with new ones, just change the flavor. This has been suggested by WOTC staff. Maybe mix and match some powers.

Now I have had a chance to peak at the PH2, I do say the FF monk would be a good "avenger." Treat all powers with weapon dam as you hitting with your fists. Maybe make dam 1d8 or 1d10 to balance out that you don't need a weapon to be super awesome. But to balance out the lack of magic items and implements, maybe make brass knuckles or something that are treated as maces or hammers (in terms of the generic magic weapons). Let this also be used for implement powers. Take out abjure undead and replace with counterstrike (above). The ranged powers (and implement powers) can be reflavored to be like aura bolt and fire dance (found in FFRPG). The other channel divinity power become channel ki, and you call upon your inner power (instead of a god's power) to kick some serious butt.

Also, for all int-based bonuses of avenger, switch to Con or Str. Int doesn't fit the monk concept well and dex is already covered. Wis does fit well, though.
    Updated 03-18-2009 at 11:23 AM by yukonhorror
    oh and the Nu Mou, not a good githyanki. Definately a Deva (now that I have had a chance to see it).
    and the ronso seem like good half-orcs, mechanics wise
    This is great thank you you!!!