Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

GoddessGood: The Ramblings

Gaming to Excess

Rate this Entry
I recently ran across a wiki article listing all the released and planned Exalted 2e books. This edition, they're much better organized and so are easier to list. The underlined books have not been released but are either in work or are planned to be released.

The Playable Class Books
Exalted: Second Edition (core book)
Exalted: Second Edition Storyteller's Companion (for people who don't want to buy the next four books on the list)
The Manual of Exalted Power: The Dragon-Blooded
The Manual of Exalted Power: The Lunars
The Manual of Exalted Power: The Sidereals
The Manual of Exalted Power: The Abyssals
Graceful Wicked Masques: The Fair Folk
Manual of Exalted Power - The Infernals
Manual of Exalted Power - The Alchemicals

Books of Magic
The Books of Sorcery, Vol. I: Wonders of the Lost Age (Artifacts and magical items)
The Books of Sorcery, Vol. II: White and Black Treatises (Complete spell and necromancy compendium)
The Books of Sorcery, Vol. III: Oadenol's Codex (book on crafting magical items)
The Books of Sorcery, Vol. IV: The Roll of Glorious Divinity I (gods and elementals)
The Books of Sorcery, Vol. V: The Roll of Glorious Divinity II: Ghosts & Demons

Setting Books
The Compass of Terrestrial Directions, Vol. I: The Scavenger Lands
The Compass of Terrestrial Directions, Vol. II: The West
The Compass of Terrestrial Directions, Vol. III: The East
The Compass of Terrestrial Directions, Vol. IV: The South
The Compass of Terrestrial Directions, Vol. V: The North
The Compass of Celestial Directions, Vol. I: The Blessed Isle
The Compass of Celestial Directions, Vol. II: The Wyld
The Compass of Celestial Directions, Vol. III: Yu-Shan
The Compass of Celestial Directions, Vol. IV: the Underworld
The Compass of Celestial Directions, Vol.V: Malfeas

Expansions
The Scroll of the Monk (martial arts)
The Scroll of Kings (mass combat, naval combat)
The Scroll of Fallen Races (rare, but still playable races)
Scroll of Heroes (rare, but still playable classes)
Scroll of Exalts (about the signature characters)
Dreams of the First Age (alternate setting)
The Art of Exalted

Now all of this seems to be a bit excessive. Yet, I have everything that doesn't have a * by it. This list doesn't even include the two board games and short comic series they released or the failed TCG and console game. I told myself when I began collecting that I was doing it to support a game that I love so that maybe it'll achieve the kind of market share that its predecessors (the WoD line) did. After all, they're made by the same company, right? Some of us in the fan community felt that White Wolf was more than happy to use the earnings they got from Exalted to buff up their old, decrepit WoD line. Exalted was their cash cow, we thought, and they were treating us like step children. We bought everything they released, played it faithfully (and kicked and screamed when they did something we didn't like). After a while, I got tired of feeling ignored and left their in-house forum ... but I kept collecting. I look at this list and think about all the money I sunk into it that I probably won't be able to get back. A quarter of these books haven't even been opened, and I've not read a single one cover to cover. Nope, not even the core book. I guess my question is, when is enough enough? It would seem by their release structure that after they get done with this list that there won't be any more releases, but I'm not so sure I trust that.

I know that D&D suffers a similar malady, but I'm entirely unfamiliar with it. It makes me wonder how many out there suffer from collection mania like me. How many people simply have to have that last book, that last pack of cards or set of minis to complete their collection. And for a while it's enough ... until they release another set.

Submit "Gaming to Excess" to Digg Submit "Gaming to Excess" to del.icio.us Submit "Gaming to Excess" to StumbleUpon Submit "Gaming to Excess" to Google

Updated 04-17-2009 at 09:55 AM by GoddessGood (Bought more books :()

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
General

Comments

I can certainly relate. Star Wars D6 was my obsession until (and even after) it went out of print. In an old thread, I presented the catalog of all the Star Wars D6 books that I own and it was quite scary. That list comprises probably about 70% of the material that was published for the game. There are many more books that I don't have.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...?t=6061&page=2

Later, Mutants & Masterminds got ahold of me and until about a year or two ago, I had every book Green Ronin released for it. My list of M&M book purchases (including 1st Ed. sourcebooks that I've since sold and upgraded to 2nd Ed.) is as follows:

*1st Edition
    M&M Corebook
    Freedom City Sourcebook
    GM Screen
    Crooks
    Time of Crisis
    Foes of Freedom
    Noir
    Nocturnals Sourcebook
    M&M Annual #1

*2nd Edition
    M&M Corebook (2 copies)
    Mastermind's Manual
    Beginner's Guide
    Ultimate Power
    Freedom City Sourcebook
    Paragons Sourcebook
    Paragons: A More Perfect Union
    Time of Vengeance
    Crooks
    Golden Age
    Iron Age
    Lockdown
    Agents of Freedom
    Hero High
    Instant Superheroes
    Archetype Archive Collection #1
    Freedom City Archetypes & Legacies
    Street-Level Archetypes
    Hero High: Yearbook
    Hero High: Villains

Now there's about 10 or so books that I haven't gotten ahold of yet. I defnately want the Book of Magic, Worlds of Freedom and Freedom's Most Wanted along with the upcoming Warriors & Warlocks supplement.
    Perhaps we need something like Collectors Anonymous and a 12 step program
    I hurt my back moving my RPG books, does that mean I need help?
    I also hurt myself moving my RPG books lol. Interestingly enough once I moved I have been unable to locate a gaming group, yet I still hold onto my books in the hope...
    I think to be a gamer you need to be a little obsessive, ok maybe a lot obsessive, but I think since we a such a "fringe" element of society it helps to keep our beloved hobby alive and new publications rolling out.