Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Blond Gamer Girl

Recruitment - Proverbs from the Abyss

Rate this Entry
The game that I currently run has been through some changes over the past few months. First, I had to ask three folks to leave because of their drive and a defective vehicle which made them unreliable. However, there were no hurt feelings because they completely agreed about the reasoning even though the mix of the group was pretty good.

Lesson learned: Never assume that between three people there would be more than one car. Just like a job application ask: Do you have reliable transportation?

Then a friend and fellow gamer contacted me about this game and he worked in fantastically.

Lesson learned: Go with who you know. Nepotism is a GOOD thing when recruiting.

Not too long after, I happened upon a gaming board with someone in the area wanting to play Shadowrun and based on their profile they seemed to be a good match. Actually, I saw a few folks and contacted them and one person responded. Once I met with him, he seemed like an excellent match. When he played, he fit in wonderfully with the group.

Lesson learned: Just like in sales, make several contacts because only 10 percent will respond back.

Not long after, two more folks then contacted me about joining so I met with them. Because of their age difference and such, I had a hinky feeling that they just wouldn’t work. However, they seemed very enthused and I went against my better judgment because of that and because I didn’t want to be age biased. During the game they played with the group, it seemed to me to be quite obvious that they weren’t meshing. One guy barely said anything during play and kept running out talking on this cell phone. The other guy didn’t want to be part of the group, not a team player at all. Once they left a couple of players stated that “they were not team players.” As GM I suggested that we just rip the band-aid right off and called a vote to see who wanted to boot them out. All hands were raised. Luckily, those guys admitted that it wasn’t a match when I emailed them.

Lesson learned: Go with your gut instinct. You’ll save a lot of time and trouble in the end.

For the last team addition, a player’s fiancée wanted to join. Funny thing is when I met with him, she joined us about an hour or so into our talk. After a little I said to myself, “Too bad she plays in another group because she would make a great addition to our group.” After a few sessions, he tells me that she wants to join the group. To introduce her to the other players, we all go out to lunch and things go well. However, the one sharp question I asked because I had dealt with so much nonsense in the past from couples was: “If one of you can’t play, will the other attend?” Obviously, a couple will go on vacation or such and let me know well in advance which is completely fine. However, often enough, the wife/girlfriend stubs her toe and the husband/boyfriend must stay at home and attend. [Often I wondered if I was the only one who said, “I got my soup, Gatorade, Nyquil and Kleenex – now leave; and vice versa.) They both told me that it was absolutely not the case.

Lesson learned: Not every fan couple is attached at the hip but many are, so sort well.

Anyone else learn these lessons or others?

Submit "Recruitment - Proverbs from the Abyss" to Digg Submit "Recruitment - Proverbs from the Abyss" to del.icio.us Submit "Recruitment - Proverbs from the Abyss" to StumbleUpon Submit "Recruitment - Proverbs from the Abyss" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Often I'll meet someone who says they would love to game, and we get together, introduce them to the group, and everything looks good. They show up for the first game and everyone has a great time. However, come the second game they are busy. And the third and the fourth and the fifth.

Granted, everyone has lives, but if you can't make the commitment to join the game, you should not string along the group.

After three such 'sudden I can make the game', I simply won't bother to call and ask you about it, and we will simply figure your not coming.

Lesson:If someone does not make an effort to show up and game, then you should not hound them about it and just let them go away.

Not everyone has tons of money, so it can be hard for some to 'pitch in' to buy pizza, for example. Someone who only has $20 every two weeks in spending cash, simply can't afford to spend $10 on pizza.

The simple solution was to have people bring food over to make or just leftovers.

Lesson-Not everyone is rich in money, but everyone can bring something if given more options to do so.