Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Blond Gamer Girl

Matching Styles

Rate this Entry
Since things have gotten a little serious here, I thought I would lighten the mood a little. Anyhow…

When searching for new games or more gamers for your own game, there are the basic cut and dry questions concerning: date, time and game system. Then there are the qualifications most GM’s want in players: sane, reliable etcetera.

Lastly, we come to the very ambiguous style matching. For that I asked two questions. First, I ask the combat ratio they like to see if it matches my GM’ing style. I found if we’re within 10 or so percent of each other, we’re a match.

The next thing I ask is if you could choose three different TV shows, movies or books that would equate to actual games that you would want to play in what would they be? Mine as a GM are: Sherlock Holmes, Supernatural and Leverage.

Other things I try to incorporate many from writing: description which I throw clues into, unusual plot elements including PC subplots and of course fun.

Just curious to see what other folks would answer. If you could choose three different TV shows, movies or books that would equate to actual games that you would want to play in what would they be?

Submit "Matching Styles" to Digg Submit "Matching Styles" to del.icio.us Submit "Matching Styles" to StumbleUpon Submit "Matching Styles" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Well, for me it would Fringe, The Sword of Truth novels - the whole story, not just a single novel (not the horribly and thankfully canceled Legend of the Seeker crap show), and any one of the Dresden Files novels.
    Avatar: the Last Airbender, the Dresden Files and The Big Sleep.

(Alternatively: Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Brick or The Big Lebowski for The Big Sleep.)
    Mine would be...
    For Fantasy-like games:

For Sci-Fi-like games:

• AmTrak Wars (Novel Series)
    • Bladerunner (Movie)
    • Ender's Game (Novel Series)

For Horror-like games:

• CthulhuTech (RPG Books - they have some very interesting stories)
    • DemonWars Saga (Novel Series)
    • Dresden Files (Novel Series)
    SDJThorin - Interesting choice for horror-like games, specifically, the Dresden Files. I would never have associated that series with horror, but may have to reassess.
    LOL - I wondered if that would get a response

Butcher's Fae are NOT nice -- think the old world fairy tales (Brothers Grimm & Hellboy anyone) and not the nice Disneyfied one most people think of today -- and he's got magic, holy powers, demons, vampires, werewolves and undead... sounds pretty horrific to me

I also like his style of humour and how he intersperses it at the oddest moments -- my horror stories/games need comedic elements to shake things up a bit
    Updated 10-29-2010 at 04:25 PM by SDJThorin
    WOW - There's a lot of similarities here. With my style questioning method, I think its easy to get a clear picture of a match or not between GM and players. The other things I stress are reliability and staying in character (actually being there to game) and I'm very honest about it to the point of being blunt.

Has anyone ever been misrepresented to as a player or GM to the point where you had to leave or conversely boot someone out?
    Plenty of times!

It's akin to bad dating, with people telling you what they think you want to hear... and then after a few games the truth comes out... as it always does *sigh*

Then you have the hard choice to either leave/eject them, or if it's not that bad... have the hard discussions and see if there can be some give and take...

but then... I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here LOL
    Sadly, yes. The group discusses a style of game they want, then after several sessions, someone begins discussing - ranting about how the game isn't what they thought it would be. One of two things happen, they leave or I do.
    I booted myself out of a campaign - and I was the DM - all due to incompatible play styles. We had talked and everything seemed great... and then we started playing...

It was frustrating for both myself AND the group. After three sessions, we had e-mails that crossed in the ether... it was kind of funny. Both sides said, "This isn't turning out like I/we had expected, and we want what was agreed upon."

I followed their e-mail with the reply, "I gave you what I promised, and we had agreed on. You don't want that. Go back to DMing for yourselves." It was more drama than I'm used to, but it was a quick end. I never heard from them again.

As for movies, books and such...

The Eye of the World novel series by Robert Jordan (Sanderson)
    The movie Willow - a GREAT movie.
    A slightly less combat oriented Stargate SG:Whatever
    This is so interesting that I am not alone in many of the shows I watch. I think I can agree with most every post. My latest show is Dresden Files – thanks to Netflix.

Is this adage true for other folks?: “A GM runs a game that they want to play.”

I run a game and play in two games, one of which I’m withdrawing from because it is nearly the antithesis of my style. That being said I don’t look for a clone of myself but some similarities. Further, every GM I’ve ever played under has a least one good quality because I am sure to look. Those good qualities I try to emulate while trying to avoid the bad.
    You bet! In fact I was just talking about this to someone, many players forget that the GM needs to have fun too

Oh and Willow is one of my favs too... but BGG limited us to 3

Otherwise I'd have to list most of my DVD collection as games I'd like to be in... even the baaaaad movies -- that way I could alter it to make it into a better show LOL
    To an extent. I run games that are very gritty, in which player's must have quite a bit of experience under their belts before they are even considered heroes by the public at large. However, I am also a very generous GM, in that if the player's want something in the game, be it items, a certain stroy or adventure idea, I incorporate it. Of course, they learn all too often about being careful what they wish for...such as in my Star Wars Saga campaign, they were looking for some Heavy Repeating Blasters and an E-Web, along with some Thermal Detonators...ask and ye shall receive...of course what's good for the goose is good for the gander...had one player whose character was separated into his individual component parts, and two others (both Jedi), that have a healthy respect for Heavy Repeating Blasters, that are braced for Burst Fire with Double Attack while in the hands of Elite Troopers.
    You know there's one movie that I didn't note but truly deserves an honorable mention because it's got great action blended with comedy blended with it's own ethical code and well it's in my top 20: Boondock Saints (the first).

"There are varying degrees of evil, we urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over, into true corruption, into our domain."