Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Dytrrnikl

An Apology and Correction...

Rate this Entry
First, to anyone who has read my Draining Magic blogs, I apologize, as I discovered to my dismay that in Part 2, I posted my system for an alternate spell casting system for which I have not worked out all of the bugs as of yet.

Here is what I came up with, something which has worked out well so far in the limited playtests I have done.

1. No more # of spells per level per day. Instead, each spellcasting class has a Maximum Spell Level Known. This is based upon the spell level progression of each class. The Wizard, for example has a Maximum Spell Level Known Progression (as shown on page 81 of Pathfinder Core Rulebook) at Levels 1 - 2, 1st level spells; Levels 3 - 4, 2nd; Levels 5 - 6, 3rd; Levels 7 - 8, 4th; Levels 9 - 10, 5th; Levels 11 - 12, 6th; Levels 13 - 14, 7th; Levels 15 - 16, 8th; Levels 17+, 9th.

2. The Condition Track used in the Star Wars saga system, is ported into the system. This can be doen quite easily without affecting any other areas of gameplay. If you want to bring Damage Threshold for all classes, go right ahead. In this instance it is only brought in for Spells and Spellcasting.

Basically the condition track is set up as follows modified for Pathfinder/DnD: Normal State (No Modifier); -1 step (-1 modifier to all saves, armor class, attack rolls, ability checks, and skill checks); -2 steps (-2 modifier to all saves, armor class, attack rolls, ability checks, and skill checks); -3 steps (-5 modifier to all saves, armor class, attack rolls, ability checks, and skill checks); -4 steps (-10 modifier to all saves, armor class, attack rolls, ability checks, and skill checks); -5 steps (Helpless - unconscious or disabled).

3. You're option, port in the Endurance skill from Star Wars Saga or use the Concentration skill as is from 3.5E PHB. The purpose for this ties into the condition track.

Casters have the freedom to cast spells up to their maximum spell level known as they see fit. Each time a spellcaster casts a spell, an Endurance check or Concentration check (depending on which way you choose to go). For Psions, Wilders, Wizards, Sorcerers, Clerics, Druids, and Bards the check is equal to 15 + level of the spell + 1 for every previous spell cast in the encounter. For Psychic Warriors, Rangers, and Paladins, the check is equal to 15 + level of spell + 2 for every previous spell cast in the encounter. Thus, a 5th level Wizard is attempting to cast his 6th spell in the enounter and has decided to cast Fireball. His Endurance/Concentration check would be a DC 23 (15 + 3 for 3rd level Fireball spell + 5 for the 5 previous spells cast in the encounter). Failure results in moving -1 persistent step down the condition track - basically, until you get a restful night's sleep, you're stuck with the condition.

This system makes metamagic and metapsionic feats a bit tricky. Basically, casters are augmenting their spells with some extra oomph to get a bigger bang...or putting more power into their spells. This is going to result in quicker drain. These feats not only require the caster to be able to cast a higher level spell, it adds to the Endurance/Concentration DC by +2 per spell level. For example, Empower spell requires the ability to cast spells two levels higher than the spell being Empowered and an additional +4 to the Endurance/Concentration DC to cast the spell. In the above example, the Wizard who has cast 6 spells in the encounter, now wants to cast an Empowered Fireball, now has an Endurance/Concentration DC of 27.

Once a spellcaster reaches the bottom of the condition track, that's it, your done, no more magic until you get some R&R. You recover 1 step on the condition track each day. One thing I did was to allow 0th level spells to be cast freely, being so minor power-wise as to not matter. There is one exception Cure Minor Wounds - No character may benefit from Cure Minor Wounds more than there Constitution modifier (minimum of 1) each day, and for consecutive days no greater than your Constitution modifer (minimum of 1).

Only once, in a particular difficult encounter, did I see a player - a 10th level Psion with maxed out Endurance, push themselves to the helpless state.

Submit "An Apology and Correction..." to Digg Submit "An Apology and Correction..." to del.icio.us Submit "An Apology and Correction..." to StumbleUpon Submit "An Apology and Correction..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

An alternate Endurance/Concentration check would be to base the cumulative +1 modifier for all previously cast spells tracked through out a 24 hour in-game period rather than by encounter.