Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Dytrrnikl

Draining Magic part 2...

Rate this Entry
Ok, as I said previously, magic that ultiamtely has a draining effect on the caster has always resonated with me. Well, here is what I've created (hopefully original).

A few terms, used for convenience:
Spells - cover arcane and divine spells, as well as psionic powers.

Magic - covers arcane and divine magic, as well as psionics.

Caster - all classes that cast or manifest

First, a nod to 4E, as I seperate spells into quick and dirty spells and rituals. All spells with a casting time greater than 1 full round is a ritual, and may only be used in non-combat situations. Everything are considered quick and dirty magic, meant to hit hard, hit fast, and hopefully bring a satifactory resolution as quickly as possible - these are spells.

No changes are made to spell level for rituals. The wizard spell Permanency is listed as being a 5th level spell, or in this case ritual (a casting time of 2 rounds according to d20pfsrd.com). It's still 5th level. The only prerequisite to casting rituals is that one must be able to cast spells of that level.

Just as each caster class has a primary attribute to determine the highest level spell they may eventually gain access, they have a secondary attribute that is of primary importance in determining the number of spells or spell slots they have each encounter.

Arcane magic is physically taxing to the caster. Spells slots per encounter for classes that use arcane magic is equal to Constitution - 10.

Divine magic is spiritually taxing to the caster. Spirtual strength is a measure of belief, conviction, and sense of self. Spell slots per encounter for Druids and Clerics is equal to Charisma - 10. For Ranger and Paladin, it is equal to their Charisma modifier + 1.

Psionic magic is mentally taxing to the caster, drawing the energy from your subconcious mind or intuition. Spells slots per encounter is equal to Wisdom - 10 for Psions and Wilders, for Psychic Warriors it is equal to their Wisdom modifier + 1.

A spell slot can be used to cast a single unaugmented spell. Metamagic feats and Metapsionic feats work differently, which I will explain in my next blog.

Casters have the freedom to cast spells in whatever way they wish, focusing on nothing but their most powerful spells, are a combination of their lowest spells to their highest, exactly the same type of freedom as the Psionic classes had in the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Now, each class may cast spells up to their maximum spell level known. No conversion is really necessary. At whatever level a particular class gains access to different spells levels - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so forth, that becomes their Maximum Spell Level Known. Table 2-3, page 20, in the Expanded Psionics Handbook shows in the last column 'Maximum Power Level Known', as an example to see how this works.

In part 3, I'll address metamagic and metapsionic feats, and some key magic and psionic items. Additionally, a mechanic ported in from Star Wars Saga, used in conjunction with a ported in Saga Skill (Endurance) or the COncentration skill.

All comments are welcome.

Submit "Draining Magic part 2..." to Digg Submit "Draining Magic part 2..." to del.icio.us Submit "Draining Magic part 2..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Draining Magic part 2..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I forgot to mention, I will also cover 0th level spells.
    I wonder where the draining magic comes in?

So your saying a 5th level 18 con wizard can cast 8 fireballs per encounter? 3-5 encounters a day is 24-40 fireballs a day. Sounds like a lot of fireballs?

Should not everyone use Constitution? Why other abilities? And why a non class ability? Sure A cleric will put some points in Charisma, but Constitution is not a high arcane stat.