Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

GoddessGood: The Ramblings

Savage Worlds/Sundered Skies

Rate this Entry
I've been an RPGer for over a dozen years now. I keep looking over my list of games that I've tried and it always seems woefully short in comparison to some of you out there ... even some people who've been playing for less than half the time I have. I've set out to rectify that, and so far it's going well.

This weekend I got a chance to play in a game of Sundered Skies (using the Savage Worlds system) run by our very own Webhead. My first impression of the system was good; after understanding the basic mechanics and getting a feel for what the different traits do, it took me under an hour to make a character. This, of course, does not count the time it took me to come up with a concept as that can sometimes take me several days and up . I've been fond of the mechanic of using a different die type based on your rating in a trait ever since I saw it in Margaret Weis Productions' Serenity RPG. Savage Worlds takes this same core mechanic and surrounds it with a few others that make it more sound and interesting at the same time (such as raises and the Wild Die). Even though I don't currently have a grasp of the system at the level that running it would require, I felt motivated to gain that familiarity in the short time I had playing it.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that the Sundered Skies setting grabbed me, too. I've long been a fan of White Wolf's Exalted game (both editions) and have often said that it's the setting I love and, because of it, I can forgive the system. Sundered Skies has a lot of similarities with a fantasy setting created by the Weis and Hickman team called Arianus (from their seven book Death Gate series). In short, the world has been blown apart and scattered in a great, unknown cataclysm. All that remains are mysteriously floating islands that support struggling civilizations of Humans, Elves and Dwarves. In Sundered Skies, four more races are added: Drakin, Wildling, Glowborn and Orc. Most will be familiar with the latter race, while the first three are re-imaginings of well known races: the dragon-person, were-animal and goblin, respectively. Toss in skyships, a sinister trade war, piracy and bounty hunters and you've got fodder for years of story telling all sitting in less than two inches of shelf space.

Now, there is a downside to this economy. What I have read of the setting book has left a lot lacking in the detail department. This is frustrating to me and (I can only assume) to many players who would otherwise want to dive headfirst into such a setting. I want to know more, and I've been assured that the GM's section of the setting book has those details. Now ... if only I can restrain myself from peeking at the back of the book .

Overall rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Submit "Savage Worlds/Sundered Skies" to Digg Submit "Savage Worlds/Sundered Skies" to del.icio.us Submit "Savage Worlds/Sundered Skies" to StumbleUpon Submit "Savage Worlds/Sundered Skies" to Google

Updated 02-23-2009 at 10:59 AM by GoddessGood

Categories
Reviews , Reviews

Comments

Aww, you beat me to it! I'm gonna be putting up the campaign log on my blog shortly.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the game thus far. I know that I had a blast running it even though I know it will take a few sessions to really get the full swing of the rules. But it's a new experience for all involved (both in terms of system and setting) and, honestly, I think that's part of the fun. Both Savage Worlds and Sundered Skies have enticed me and I look forward to many more adventures.

And though not all is made clear about the setting at first glance, part of that is intentional by the authors (because the world itself is supposed to be mysterious to the average citizen) and part of that is due to space limitations. But the authors do a good job of providing a lot of inspiration and encouragement to GMs to expand and extrapolate from what is given, a process that I have already delved into gleefully.

Here's to a long and exciting campaign!
    Haha, I guess I did beat you. I tried to make sure I posted my review from the player's point of view, which leaves plenty of room for the GM's take on things. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, too.
    Cool, another game to follow!