Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

The Curmudgeon's Lair

My first miniature sculpt

Rate this Entry
I've taken a long break from annoying people on-line, one of my true passions btw, to do some more on miniatures. Much of that time has been slicing and dicing pink foam. I'm pretty good at it, if I do say so myself. I've figured out how to produce ruined walls with a quickness, then moved on to creating numerous Tudor style or inspired fantasy houses out of the stuff. Though I have yet to get around to painting them. The main problem with the houses is that I need to figure out a way to create them so that they come apart, with only about a 1" wall base. This way they could be used inside and out.

I've also been working on doing some mold making projects and casting simple items, such as some barrels, sleeping pallets, a camp fire, some crumbling stone pillars, rock outcroppings and general debris.

I've wanted to try sculpting with green stuff for a while but honestly I'm a little intimidated by sculpting human forms. I did some sculpting way back in high school and I kinda suck at doing people (I'm bad with proportions). Other things, like inanimate objects, I seem to have no problem with. So I decided maybe I would have better luck for my first attempt if I went with something non-human, like a monster. So after thinking about it for a while I decided to attempt.....a beholder. Just a little one, nothing huge. That green goo is $15.00 a stick after all, and I'm notoriously cheap.

My first attempt went okay. I made the head and it didn't look to bad so I then went on to the eye-stalks. This was before the head dried. I put those directly on the head. Turns out that they didn't stick so well, and about half of them fell off. Then I mucked up the head trying to fix up the eye-stalks, as the modeling clay was still soft.

So I learned some valuable lessons and started over. The second time I started by making the head then letting it dry and harden. Then I used some thin copper wire to create the eye-stalks on. After everything dried and hardened I used a very small drill bit and drilled the appropriate number of holes and attached the eye-stalks. Then I finished off the whole thing by giving it one of my notorious bad, 30 minute paint jobs (have I ever mentioned that I'm not so fond of painting miniatures) and calling it good enough.

So here you are, see attached photo (I'm also bad a photography). It looks much better in person, I swear!

Submit "My first miniature sculpt" to Digg Submit "My first miniature sculpt" to del.icio.us Submit "My first miniature sculpt" to StumbleUpon Submit "My first miniature sculpt" to Google

Tags: miniatures Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments