Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode_alt.php on line 1270

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode_alt.php on line 1586

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode_alt.php on line 1270

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode_alt.php on line 1586

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

<![CDATA[Pen & Paper Games - Blogs - winslon]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php/8908-winslon Pen and Paper Games hosts a very powerful, but easy to seach and join database of players and game masters in the United States and Canada. Our forums are also a great place to find the most recent news, product releases, tips, and rpg discussion. en Thu, 28 Jul 2016 16:35:23 GMT vBulletin 60 http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/pnpg_style/misc/rss.jpg <![CDATA[Pen & Paper Games - Blogs - winslon]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php/8908-winslon Valen Antel - Adventure Night 2 http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/604-Valen-Antel-Adventure-Night-2 Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:02:57 GMT *Dm Notes *This was our second night of running 4E. Most of the encounters were designed to allow those of us not use to 4E a chance to catch... *Dm Notes

*This was our second night of running 4E. Most of the encounters were designed to allow those of us not use to 4E a chance to catch up.

Continuing from the previous week.

We welcomed the addition of a new player, brining a Warden to the group, and the total to 6.

*Since this was a 'training' session, i didn't want to roleplay all the players meeting eachother again, so the Warden took the place of our paladin, who was unable to attend.

Having dispatched the Kobold Wyrmpriest, our heroes went back to explore an area of the previous room, that appeared to be hiding something behind some fallen debri.

They cleared away the fallen rubble and found a long forgotten passage way leading into the darkness.

taking careful steps, the rogue learned how to move slighlently, and what happens when you fail!

Just when the passage way opened into a large room, the rogue, tripped and stubbled into a support beam causing dirt and rocks to fall to the floor. Everyone knew that if there was something ahead, it would be alert.

And it was!

Our heroes found themsevles face to face to with 3 Coruption Corpses. These vile creatures of the undead, not only have vicious attacks, but nasty range vomitting attacks as well.

In a short time the rogue was injured, but everyone worked together to protect him, as others restored his wounds, and returned him to the fight.

The group was smart, and did not engage these creatures at close range, especially when they discovered, that upon death, they exploded.

These beasts had been captured or corrupted in these caverns untold years before. Even in death, their hated for all life, and what their secret tortures might have been, was held in their sightless stares.

After a short rest, our adventures continued down a path that led deaper into the ground. After a short distance, the dugeonscape changed. Gone were the walls and corriders of quick excavation, and in their place, grand tiles, faded in color, but still showing their craftmanship and artistry.

The rogue, protected by the Warden this time, scouted ahead, and found a room, again ornately tiled, with a single pole placed from floor to ceiling in the middle. Takeing care, he discovered the traps on it, and disarmed them, revealing a hidden treasure above. That of a Yellow Amber, the size of his hand. Needless to say, it also glowed magical, as did the staff, and both were taken by the party, with the theif...excuse me...rogue, taking the gem.

Exploring futher a large room was discovered. Lined with rotted skeletans, in aincient pitted armor. The heroes were a bit on the cautious side, making sure that the skeletans truely were just that, and slowly made their way through, taking care to protect one another each step.

Beyound that...a great room. Very ornately designed, with candalabres that flared to life when they entered. In that room, was a single Sarcophogus, and a cauldren. Runes of warning and protection were old and faded surrounding the sarcophogus.

The Cleric feeling rather brave, approached the sarcophogus and removed the lid, revealling the bones of some long forgotten soul, dressed in armor, with a sword, jewlery and and a crown. Taunting death, the cleric took the crown from the head, and swung it over his body, but nothing happened.

At that time, the rogue, approached the sarcophogus, and with a sudden flair from the gem the body sprang up, took the crown, and unleashed a blast of energy that knocked all our heroes away. Many of them had been reduced to near death by the first attack, but they quickly recovered and mounted a valient defence.

Realizing that even though he was more powerful then these heroes, he was sorely out numbered, and after years of lieing in wait, Maulathias was not about to be defeated. Taking one last blast with his power at the defiling cleric, he destroyed him, body and soul, called the gem to his hand, and disappeared in a misty cloud.

There was nothing that could be done for their friend, the cleric, and finding nothing else of interest, our heroes, returned to their homes, in Talverberger to start telling their tales. ]]>
winslon http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/604-Valen-Antel-Adventure-Night-2
Valen Antel - First Nights Adventure http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/585-Valen-Antel-First-Nights-Adventure Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:07:31 GMT Finally a full fledged 4th Edition game...lets see how it went: * Dungeon Master Notes Image:... Finally a full fledged 4th Edition game...lets see how it went:

* Dungeon Master Notes

SETTING: in the village of Talaverberger in the West Shore Province.

INTRODUCTION: After years of listening to all the old adventures tell their tales in the villiage in (The Blue Anvil), our heroes have decided to set out to make their own tales, legends. Years ago, they found a hidden tunnel leading into the ground while playing in the old Harlen Ruins. After taking care to hide their discovery, they left it until they were able to return, and see whats down there. That time has come, they returned, but something has dug its way under the rock they covered the tunnel with. They now know for certain, that there is danger below.

* I don't like to start out a new group of strang players, with the old ... who are you, what are you doing, and try to roleplay them all finding one another and getting to 'trust' one another. Its much better to just throw them into the fray, and then over time, let them roleplay becoming friends.

The Adventure:
Journying into the tunnels we quickly came upon a small party of Kobolds standing guard in an empty room. They were rather easily dispatched, before they were able to warn any others that intruders had entered the dungeon.

* The players encountered 4th Edition Kobolds, some for the first time. After doing more then 20 points of damage to them, they quickly learned that these are the kobolds they remember. I have always liked Kobolds, and am glad that they have a little more strength to them now.

Discovering numerous exits from this room, including one hidden passagway (* Love Passive Checks ), our heroes chose by chance, the fastest way to the Kobolds boss. Taking care to manuvere closer, upon what appeared to be a digging team, they were able to gain surprise, and again bring the hurt to these evil little freaks.

The Paladin Charged, attempting to take the brunt of the damage, and attract the most attention, and succeeded. The Bard was able to affect every enemy in one way or another, making himself not only effective at damage, but in becoming a nuisance to the kobolds as well. The Rogue, got in his deft strikes, and was able to take out his share, but at the same time took more damage then he wanted. The Cleric and the Druid were able to both use their minor actions to aid the party, and their powers to hinder the monsters as well, while the Warlock through curses, and spells around with little care as to who they were aimed at.

Then...the Wyrmpriest crawled out of a hole in the center of the room, took up position a bit away from the battle, and at his first opportunity breathed flames upon the Paladin, and Rogue, wounding them both.

Having now received the full attention of the paladin, the Wyrmpriest found himself on the end of every attack that could be thrown at him. He feably was able to heal his followers once more, before falling dead to the ground.

His Dragon Shields fought on valiently, but in the end, it was just a matter of time. Between the Jinx from the Bard, and the Winds that knocked them down from the Druid, it didn't take long.

*This was a fun little battle to run. You have to love a Kobold that breaths a Blast 3, has a Minor heal action, and other fun little powers. He makes a great leader for a small group of Kobolds, and a perfect challenge for new 1st level adventures. Not to mention how much fun it is to see the look on some players faces, when he Breaths on them. To have made this challenge a bit stronger though, I might have added some more low level kobolds. Not neccesarily minions, just some more protection for the Wyrmpriest. As it was though, 2 of the party got bloodied, and thats about as much as I would like to put on a first time group.

After the battle, they found an old coffin in the hole they Kobolds were digging. One the Wyrmpriest they found a Scarlett Orb, and a scroll. Of course there were other mundane items of note on the other Kobolds

* For the future, i think i will have to change the packets monetary items to small items worth the same amount. I hate giving out 100 GP from 8 kobolds...but if they found a small wrist band on the leader, that turned out to be an antique silver necklace worth 100 GP, that would be more memorable.

Opening the coffin, inside they found the remains of a very old skeletan, turned to dust, along with everything burried with him, except for 1 ring, and the fragile remains of one book. Even with care, the book quickly dis-integrated with the Paladins touch.

After that they explored the Wyrmpriest, to discover the Orb to be of some power, and the scroll to be a ritual of preservation! Probably intended to save the book for transport.

*it always works that way doesn't it. I'm still working on getting to know all the powers, and rituals in the books, but from time to time, i will draw more upon my imagination then the rules. As a whole though, i will attempt to align everything with something of equal power in the core rule books. For now though...they will need to learn what a Ritual of Preservation is.

After disposing of the Kobolds and with evening setting in, the heroes chose to continue their adventures after a short rest...

...to be continued.

*3 hours, and 2 Encounters. Worth about 150 XP a peice, and lots of learning experiences. ]]>
winslon http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/585-Valen-Antel-First-Nights-Adventure
Valen Antel : the Pittbull http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/558-Valen-Antel-the-Pittbull Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:47:34 GMT Tucked away in the shadows, or rumored to be hidden in another time or dimension, lies the fantasical tavern known as THE PITTBULL. Image:... Tucked away in the shadows, or rumored to be hidden in another time or dimension, lies the fantasical tavern known as THE PITTBULL.

Run by an old dwarven warrior, named Ringo, the Pittbull offers heroes from all walks, a place to relax, let loose, and even find a little more adventure.

The painting above, is one I did, long ago, to memorialize some of the best players, and characters that took part in Valen Antel.

Pictured above, are some of the original heroes of Valen Antel. From Left to Right :
Solitair (an Elven Cavalier), Jack (a Giant Fighter), Ace (a Gnome Magic User), Tosha (an Elven Fighter/MagicUser/Theif), Krattalak (a Dwarven Fighter), and Ringo (an old Dwarven Dragon Slayer *retired*).

Background: I first started using the Pittbull in Valen Antel in 1988. It was modeled after other taverns of its time, such as the Vulgar Unicorn, and the McDonalds on Deva. Although it started as 'high fantasy' over the years, it has 'devolved' as my gaming style as 'evolved'. You won't see dragons sleeping in the corner or Elric playing dice anymore (what kind of DM what do that anyway, right), but you will find information that you just might not get somewhere else.

----

Not just anyone can enter the Pittbull, however. You have to find an entrance. They are scattered throughout the world. Rumor has it, that if you look in the shadows just on the edge of your vision, you might be able to find one. ]]>
winslon http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/558-Valen-Antel-the-Pittbull
Valen Antel (World Map) http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/555-Valen-Antel-(World-Map) Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:53:37 GMT The World of Valen Antel is an aincient world, currently set in the 24th Year of Emperor Kalenor. Image:... The World of Valen Antel is an aincient world, currently set in the 24th Year of Emperor Kalenor.

Populated mostly by Humans, there are small pockets of other civiliasations and small kingdoms scattered throughout.

Valen Antel's known land is 1000 leagues from East to West. It is mostly temperate, wooded and plains. Through its center spreads 'the Great Waste' A land inhospitable to all but the most sturdy of people.

The Kalernorian Empire:
Twenty Four Years past, Emperor Kalenor, may he Rein forever, united the waring kingdoms and cities under his Just, Rightous and Merciful rule. The kingdoms of Vol, Antel, Lurecia and Munjabi along with the 'Free City' of La Nich were brought under the Emperor's control.

The Kalenorian Frontier:
A land of vast wilderness, and adventure. Many runes and pockets of the supernatural keep this land unsettled. Only the bravest or desparte venture here.

the Great Waste:
Cutting through the heart of Valen Antel is the scare left upon the world, when the Gods Warred. There are a few people that have been able take what they can from the waste, and trade successfully with those not willing to enter. The greatest of these are the dwarfs in their underground city/kingdom of Dök Nassreik.

the Shadden:
If there is a place for the forest spirits to gather, this is it. The mysterious woods, is home to all aincient stories, and wonders. Even the Gods themselves came after the Shadden was born. The people of Shair have been able to make peace and find prosperity on the southern edge of the forest, bringing many amazing accuterments and weapons of power to the rest of the world, from their involvment with the Shadden.

the Nör Lands:
Frozen Tundras and viscious barbarians are all that this land has to offer.

the Broken Fingers:
Roamed by the dead, this dangerous land offeres nothing but despair to the living.

the Eldarian Isles:
It is rare, the human that has ventured, and returned from these isles. Old magics, and an older people make their home here, guarding their ancentors treasures from the greed fo the world. ]]>
winslon http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/555-Valen-Antel-(World-Map)
Valen Antel http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/545-Valen-Antel Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:22:50 GMT Valen Antel is my own home build gaming world. Although originally designed for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying, I have adopted it over the years... Valen Antel is my own home build gaming world.

Although originally designed for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying, I have adopted it over the years for Dungeons and Dragons.

Valen Antel was once a High Fantasy world, where teleportation was everywhere, Gypsy caravans sold Holy Avengers and Dragons lived in every city.

That of course, has changed over the centuries, and now its a cold world, populated mostly by Humans, with fantastical races being pushed out to the frontiers, where they jealously hold on to what little land they have left.

It is a world that I use for all my home brewed adventures.

Your adventures begin in the humble towns of Wallfen and Cornbridge. Where you learn what the big wide world is all about. But it doesn't take long before your off on own in search of the Mystic Weapons!

Valen Antel has one undying feature that has survived throughout time, and that is

THE PITTBULL

Owned by the renowned Dwarven Warrior, Ringo, The Pittbull is a hidden tavern accessable only by aincient secrets and passagways known only to a few. It is a place for adventures to rest and discover new quests. It is also a place that the savey traveler can use to travel quickly from one side of Valen Antel to another.

So, after your child years, or listening to the elders tell tales of Heroes long dead, around the firepit in the Twin Horse tavern in Wallfen, are you ready to make a name for yourself? ]]>
winslon http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/545-Valen-Antel
Beach Side Gaming! http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/543-Beach-Side-Gaming! Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:14:18 GMT Well, I wonder how easy it will be to find Gamers in Brevard County? Most of my friends love gaming, but they take a bit of motivation to get... Well, I wonder how easy it will be to find Gamers in Brevard County?

Most of my friends love gaming, but they take a bit of motivation to get going again, now that life is making us all think about retirement.

But man, what great memories we've had in the past!

But to get this going, let me start a little Winslon History Lesson:

I started Gaming in Houston, when my mom, bought me the red box edition of Basic D&D. A present that I'm sure she regretted from day 1...but is still my favorite and only christmas present that I still have today. I didn't REALY get into D&D though until after I joined the Air Force in 1985.

In the Air Force, I learned how to run regular gaming nights, for lots of players, coming and going. I had quite a few regulars though, and ran 2 large campaigns that lasted for 4 years. I loved playing both D&D ( Advanced ) and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying, but we also played a lot of Dragon Quest ( you win points if you know what a bleeder is! )

BRaWL: While in the Air Force, I started a group in Texas known as the Board Roleplaying and Wargaming League. It had members from Abilene to Houston, and involved running monthly 'Game Gatherings'. Game Gatherings were mini conventions that we held in Conventions Centers and Meeting Halls. And they were a big hit! BRaWL averaged 60 active players a gathering, which offered non-stop gaming from Friday night at 6PM to Sunday at 6PM.

Of course, then I got married, and left Texas to come back to Florida. And BRaWL died. It was an easy trade off though.

Last Christmas my wife bought me ALL of the 4th Edition Material ( GOD I LOVE HER! ). Now, all I need to do is to get back into the Dungeon Mastering Groove!...

Hopefully it won't take long!
]]>
winslon http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/543-Beach-Side-Gaming!