Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode_alt.php on line 1270

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode_alt.php on line 1270

<![CDATA[Pen & Paper Games - Blogs - Ashene]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php/7064-Ashene Pen and Paper Games hosts a very powerful, but easy to seach and join database of players and game masters in the United States and Canada. Our forums are also a great place to find the most recent news, product releases, tips, and rpg discussion. en Tue, 27 Sep 2016 10:27:36 GMT vBulletin 60 http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/pnpg_style/misc/rss.jpg <![CDATA[Pen & Paper Games - Blogs - Ashene]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php/7064-Ashene Gaming Pet Peeves - Part One - Attendance http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/1216-Gaming-Pet-Peeves-Part-One-Attendance Sun, 30 May 2010 23:26:46 GMT Well I'm not quite sure how to actually organize my thoughts on this, however I've got a few pet peeves about role playing that I find very irritating...caused by both the GM and the other players, or player characters.

First issue is attendance. I find that attendance is good the first few sessions, where you've established your character, found how you're going to play your character, you come across certain life or death situations or the game sessions end up being simply role-playing instead of roll-playing or vice versa, depending on your preference of game style. I try not to miss any sessions, but if there is one person missing, a lot of GM's won't run the game, simply because they don't feel they'd play the character properly or they just refuse to play a player character and GM/DM at the same time. Not running a session means disappointment for the rest of the players.

Too many instances have arisen in my role playing experience that players' schedules have made it difficult for them to make sessions...but what I don't get is WHY people don't inform the GM if they can't make it to a session? It should be common courtesy for the GM and the players involved to give advanced warming or some sort of warning ahead of time to make sure that they are included somehow in the party as played by another player. Or simply try to run with the players that are eager and willing to go.

A game that had yet to start using the Hero System, a user-created world was nipped in the bud before it even started because of lack of interest from every single player except for myself and another player. What started with five players ended up being two, while the others simply weren't willing to try the new style of gaming, or didn't think the style was for them, when we hadn't even [played a session yet.

Either step up and attend the meetings or character creation sessions, or don't bother signing up for the game in the first place. I can understand trying to get people's schedules together is one thing, but if you're not willing to try out a session to see if you like it rather than just quitting before you even give the GM a chance to walk you through it then don't bother joining a game. It really is a waste of the GM's time, as well as the other players getting characters ready and then have nothing to show for it if they like what they've created.

Well that probably made absolutely no sense but...I hope people understand that it's not fair to the GM or the players to miss too many sessions or just to drop out without any warning. Turnovers of players is fine, as long as they have a willingness to learn a completely different system.

I'm always willing to try anything once. Though I must admit there are a few players with whom I have a problem playing...for personal reasons. So even though I might be interested in playing...I wouldn't feel comfortable with that player in the group so I tend to avoid those games.

There...*sigh*...I've said my piece...maybe people will realize to think twice before joining a game. If you're not in it for the long-run, don't bother joining. ]]>
Ashene http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/1216-Gaming-Pet-Peeves-Part-One-Attendance
<![CDATA["Gamer Chicks" and Romance in RPG's.]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/996-quot-Gamer-Chicks-quot-and-Romance-in-RPG-s Wed, 10 Feb 2010 04:10:02 GMT Well, this is a random rant I don't know many of you will want to read but I just have to get it off of my chest.

This has to do with the general subject of romance in role playing. Most of the role playing I've done has had a bit of romance in it and some innocent flirting which is fine. Though it never was the primary focus, it gave an interesting twist to the plot and me being a romantic, I had a blast with it.

There have been games where there has been a whorish type character who flirts with ALL of the guys in the roleplay and seems to have absolutely every intention to steal every male character for herself and nobody can have any fun or get in any sort of attempt at even talking to the opposite gender because then there would obviously be the proverbial "Cat fight" between the people playing the characters. "He's mine...no he's mine...and he's mine...and he's mine too...wait...they're ALL mine and you can't have them...*hairpulltugscratchhiss*..." etc...

The way I play my characters and the way I see other females play their characters seem like night and day. I'm more the type to be shy and polite and I tend to have characters that gravitate towards the outcasts in the group. There haven't been many characters that I've played that have been overtly flirty.

It irks me to no end where female characters flit from man to man flirting and showing skin and acting like they'd sleep with any man right then and there.

I really wish that there was a happy medium in the role play games I'm in that allowed for some innocent flirting and perhaps have a chance to find something in common with a male character and see where things go from there. Innocent flirting is nice but when someone is blatantly showing skin and giving everyone the impression that they're "easy" then that's the type of character I tend to think has no real sense of the plot or quest at hand and has only one thing on the brain, and it isn't spell preparation or combat strategy.

Everything is good in moderation, and there happens to be a good deal of things that I'd tolerate in a roleplay but if a character is being overly flirtatious and not really giving any other thoughts to the task at hand...it makes me question their intent to join the rp in the first place.

I guess I'm personally just looking for a game where I can have fun, not where I need to compete for a male character's attention. If I get it, I get it...I don't need to have my characters "Assets" showing in plain view to give the impression she's interested in them.

Characters who get caught up in too much battle is one thing but way too much flirting is detrimental to the plot and leaves the other people feeling small and insignificant.

*le sigh*

That's all for now...maybe I'll be able to find my happy medium soon. I'm not holding out much hope but perhaps there is something out there for me that holds what I'm looking for. ]]>
Ashene http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/996-quot-Gamer-Chicks-quot-and-Romance-in-RPG-s
<![CDATA["Gamer Chicks" - The Squeaquel]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/987-quot-Gamer-Chicks-quot-The-Squeaquel Thu, 04 Feb 2010 05:38:38 GMT LOL Just kind of "borrowed" the title from Alvin and the Chipmunks' new movie title...I really have no desire to go see it. Loved the cartoon though.

I find that even though I try to bring romance and fun into an rp, as a balance to the intense hack and slash happening, and no matter how much my characters attempt negotiations with NPC's, they tend to be ignored, by the players or even the GM.

The dice-rolling system in the chat room has not been kind to me...and I admit it's frustrating at times to know that one bad roll can change your fate from being at full hp to being dead in a couple of swings...it hurts every time I see myself roll a 1, for any reason.

As a female gamer, I am not opposed to fighting or swordplay...as it is the point of the game. Not a lot of the GM's I've had have allowed the amount of role playing that I like in a game, and very few have succeeded in keeping my interest.

If a PC or an NPC has any sort of interest in the character I play, I am all for starting the romance. My characters never have the intention of diving into an intensely sexual relationship right off the bat anyway...and if they do...eventually...it is up to both parties. Though I have never had romance dominate in any sort of D&D setting, I find it brings a bit more depth to characters, rather than having "tunnel vision" and hack-and-slash all the time.

When someone blatantly ignores what I say and how my character reacts to things...I recently had a character start cutting her fingers one by one because I was testing the GM and the other characters...to see if they were actually paying any attention to what I was doing.

My character simply wanted to be asked what was wrong by the NPC who was interested in her, as she had been rethinking their acceptance of the mission they were on simply by the fact that she didn't want to accept gold for an evil deed.

Needless to say that ordeal is finished, but it really bothers me how GM's have no respect for girls as roleplayers and they never seem to know how to react to anything I have to say...and it would have been nice of the GM to let me know ahead of time what his plans were with the character so that my character wouldn't react the way she did.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I was merely reacting.

There's nothing like a balance between battle and roleplay and if romance is thrown in there...great, if not...that's great too...I love to have fun. I was clearly not having any fun simply because there was no freedom to role play. It was all ROLL play and this was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sorry for the rant, but romance isn't always a bad thing in an RP. If people hate it they should be up front about it with people, and if there is any indication of it at the start...I believe it adds to a rp and makes it more interesting rather than battling every few minutes and rolling perception, perception, initiative...etc...and waiting for your turn for battle which seems to NEVER come when you're a woman.

I am a patient person, and apparently other people don't seem to be. If I took thirty seconds to a minute before I make a decision as to what I'm doing...my name or my character's name pops up on the screen with a question mark. I don't think it is polite for someone to expect lightning reflexes. Also for someone with little to no experience with the game is a bit hesitant about what she can do and needs a minute or so to see what she's capable of doing without getting herself killed.

Am I wrong for liking a bit of romance, or asking the GM to be patient while I think about what to do? Not having played the game and wanting to try a new system out, one would hope the GM would be happy to help me out, right? This particular one hardly gave any help and rushed through the making of one of my characters (who died a few sessions later anyway) and assumed I knew much more than I actually did. In this case I had mentioned I never played before...and he still allowed me to join in.

It could have been our styles clashed and the large sizes of the groups could have been what had caused my decisions to be delayed. I often found myself lost and disoriented and not really sure what would be best to do. The best thing that happened was when the game ended.

I think that the next time I play this particular style of RP, that I find a GM that suits my style of play rather than someone who expects too much from you.

*sigh*

This might be my last entry but who knows, I might have something else to say...maybe a bit more positive than this one.

Ashene. ]]>
Ashene http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/987-quot-Gamer-Chicks-quot-The-Squeaquel
<![CDATA["Gamer Chicks" - Take Two!]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/952-quot-Gamer-Chicks-quot-Take-Two! Sun, 24 Jan 2010 02:33:19 GMT Someone who commented on my last entry the typical stereotypical role-player: acne-ridden teenager, maintaining the opinion that as a "gamer chick" I was seen as something gamers are not. It would be seen as me "getting in bed with those who are the stereotype."

Is it justified that gamers have to be acne-ridden teenagers or middle-aged men who still live in their mother's basements and play WoW or D&D all day? Why can't a somewhat successful woman or girl with a passion for writing and fantasy get the same sort of accolades? Are women gamers that rare?

I personally might not "go to bed with" said stereotypical gamer, but I have been role playing for close to twenty years in one form or another, and writing since I was 10. I'm not the greatest writer, nor am I the world's worst...but I am entitled to a fair shake when it comes to being on equal footing with the gaming world. Women can be knowledgeable about table top games and other things related to video games.

I've never actually considered developing a game of my own, but it seems to me that there haven't been many female game developers out there. I mean, the first sort of female superhero I had seen was Wonder Woman, but I'm sure it was a male that had written about her. When I have more spare time on my hands, I plan to write a novel...though I might think about writing a gaming system instead. All I need is a bit of pixie dust...for inspiration...the magical dust, not the sugary treat. :p

It's not a matter of being female, it should only be a matter of being knowledgeable or even willing to learn everything there is to know about a certain system and having a good time with it. I've seen and heard a lot of people nitpick about editions and debate about different gaming systems. Play what you prefer to play and don't knock other systems. They have a quality that appeals to some people and not others. That's the way it goes.

Do we all like the same foods? No. I, myself, love mushrooms on pizza, in soup and even raw with dip. Would someone else feel the same way about mushrooms? No...but I certainly don't debate it to the point of shoving a mushroom down their throat so they could see what I'm talking about.

It's fine to have different opinions about gaming systems and you can downright hate something so much it makes you sick, but what really ticks me off is when people are so stubborn they don't see the other person's reasoning behind liking the food or gaming system. You don't have to be rude about it, just politely give them an, "I'm sorry it's just not my style." and move on.

*takes a few deep breaths* /end rant.

I'm done for now but I will be back with more...when the spirit moves me.

Ashene. ]]>
Ashene http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/952-quot-Gamer-Chicks-quot-Take-Two!
<![CDATA["Gamer Chicks"]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/950-quot-Gamer-Chicks-quot Sat, 23 Jan 2010 07:24:31 GMT I've never blogged...ever...on any site whatsoever, so why now? I just wanted to know what everyone thinks about this topic.

I mean, what's so special about "Gamer Chicks" or female gamers? I am one myself, and honestly it's not that big a deal is it? I have met several women gamers and they play many more MMORPG's or console games than I ever did in my entire lifetime. Perhaps it's because I like to role play more than ROLL play, that I'm more into the pen and paper aspect than video games.

Though my experience is pretty much limited to 2nd edition D&D and a bit of Hero system, I'm not as well-versed on rules and gaming worlds. I have only been exposed to a few limited sources. Only recently have I been able to read up on other games out there, and it's mind-boggling to me how many of them there actually are.

The only MMORPG I've been fortunate to play is Final Fantasy XI, the online game, and I'm content with playing that on PC, as I've never owned any sort of gaming console, save for the old-school Commodore64. I'm not sure how many of you would remember that.

It's been a fun experience here at PPG for me so far, meeting a lot of excellent people and participating in several homebrew playtests. Given the fact I love playing female elves, playing a human isn't exactly my cup of tea but I'll do it if I have to.

Apologies for the rambling but to be honest, I haven't really blogged before so this might be a whole bunch of random thoughts strewn together by the time I'm finished but we'll see.

I find I'm always in a role-play mood, and I really have no preference as to the style. It can be fantasy or sci-fi, or even a serious murder case, I love adventure and action. The only qualm I have is the dice roller in the chat room...it absolutely HATES me...but then again, I have no luck when it comes to getting decent rolls even with the dice I own! :laugh:

Anyway enough prattle...this might be my only entry but it's a long pointless one...as many blogs can be.

Toodles!

Ashe. ]]>
Ashene http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/950-quot-Gamer-Chicks-quot