Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode_alt.php on line 1270

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode_alt.php on line 1270

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode_alt.php on line 1586

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

<![CDATA[Pen & Paper Games - Blogs - Tamerath]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php/3939-Tamerath Pen and Paper Games hosts a very powerful, but easy to seach and join database of players and game masters in the United States and Canada. Our forums are also a great place to find the most recent news, product releases, tips, and rpg discussion. en Mon, 29 Aug 2016 23:30:58 GMT vBulletin 60 http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/pnpg_style/misc/rss.jpg <![CDATA[Pen & Paper Games - Blogs - Tamerath]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php/3939-Tamerath Reaper Mini Kickstarter http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/1746-Reaper-Mini-Kickstarter Sun, 05 Aug 2012 19:14:16 GMT I know this is my blog, but I recently pledged to a kickstarter for the Reaper miniatures line "Bones". I'm not one to usually advertise for a company but this is so sick I thought I'd share it on here. So Reaper Minis have recently launched their BONES collection and they were looking for ways to explode their line. They've already surpassed that goal....but the deals you get for being a pledge member are just incredible. Currently for a 100 dollar pledge you are getting 93 miniatures for .93 cents. BUT this includes a metal sofie that goes for like 24 by itself and these figures go for $1.99-3.49 a piece. Check it out the website is:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-of-gaming-min

I know there's a lot of us gamers out there that can't donate a lot. Even their smaller pledges have cool items....hell...there's a 15 dollars pledge that get's you 36 dungeon minis....that's less than a dollar a mini and you KNOW Reaper miniatures go for like $1.99-$5.00 per mini! ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/1746-Reaper-Mini-Kickstarter
New Group? Possibly http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/1036-New-Group-Possibly Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:51:59 GMT It feels like forever ago when I used to post to my blogs on this site. It's good to be back though. The topic of today is finding a good gaming group. My last group was awesome, nothing bad to say about them other than I can't seem to get back in the game for one reason or another. So it's back to hitting the pavement to find another group of players willing to game with me and my fiance.

I posted a fresh and new campaign in the registry http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...ad.php?t=15170

So hopefully we'll either start a nice gaming group or find one. Either way it'll be nice to roll some dice again. ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/1036-New-Group-Possibly
Switching Gears: Light In the Darkness http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/471-Switching-Gears-Light-In-the-Darkness Wed, 24 Jun 2009 02:52:13 GMT I didn't know Obsidianportal existed till today when I got the email that our site "allied" to them. Fortunate for me, I checked it out and found a really cool tool to all of us dms out there. Basically the site is a wiki of sorts that manages the information we type into it...I've messed around with it and here's mine only an hour.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/8244/

Also, you might have noticed if you followed that link that I'm closing up my Ravenloft game very soon. I'm thinking one more session and I'll put Ravenloft on the back burner for awhile. I've had the chance to meet with and talk to some really cool people that are interested in joining up or at least willing to give our game a shot and seeing as we have a few more newer players sitting at the game I thought I'd run some "intro" to 4th Edition modules for them to get used to it before I plunge them back into the darkness of Ravenloft...

So July 11th I'll be running the first of these games...so far there will possibly be 7 players (half of which don't have much experience playing in the new edition) so it's going to be a laid back setting where we are just going to go over the rules, play about 4-7 encounters and see where it goes. If the players return for the subsequent weeks I've already planned out a small campaign that should take them to level 4 or 5.

Unlike my more "darker" campaigned flavor I'm going more "standard dnd", which is something I haven't done for awhile and it'll be a refreshing change, for me, I think.

Before I finish off in closing yeah, as that link showed I'm going to showpiece "Keep on the Shadowfell" in my campaign...but I can tell you first hand over the two weeks I've spent in preparation..and another two weeks to go...I've done many changes to the adventure (the intro for example is almost an adventure in itself)...but I'm psyched to actually give it a chance. I've played it a couple of times in the past and I couldn't get past how overly bland it was...I felt that it was because it was intro and basic..but that's easy enough to change with some flavor texts and additional stories and happenings...So we'll see if I can finally put my money where my mouth is on it.

So while my blog is going to change up a little from the more darker nature of Ravenloft...I'll be adding to my blogs here as well as my new campaign wiki at Obsidian...so feel free to drop me some comments.

P.S. Oh, BTW...Ravenloft isn't gone...it's never gone...the mists are always watching for some sign to snatch up those that wander to deeply. ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/471-Switching-Gears-Light-In-the-Darkness
Expedition to Ravenloft Session 3 http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/453-Expedition-to-Ravenloft-Session-3 Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:38:25 GMT I'll keep this weeks post shorter than my usual with just sharing the highlights before I start preparing for the next game.

* The PC's entered into a "Bride of Dracula" senario with some of the women Strahd has turned over the years (the three brides were Pale Reavers that were "draining" Ireena while the "Master" was away), the PC's scared them off and were able to restore Ireena from a withered weakend and diseased creature on the virge of a necromatic infection into a battle maiden of such strength and rage that became a valued member of the party once again (and protecting their exp award to see her safety out of strahd's clutches).

* After one hell of a skill challenge and battle to follow Alec Van Richten restored the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind and learned some of the history behind it

* Climbing the Highest Spire the pc's fought a tenacious battle with Strahd, his vampiric lietenant Rafail, and two Corpse Vampires, beat them back and smashed the Dayheart Crystal (the only thing in Barovia able to grant vampires tied to it an immunity to Radiant damage and the sun itself). Buried deep within lied the hilt of the Sunsword..and after another lengthy skill challenge the bonding ritual was complete and the Swordmage was now equipped with it.

Now the party faces another challenge. With the Dayheart destroyed, Strahd wants nothing more than the blood of those that destroyed it. ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/453-Expedition-to-Ravenloft-Session-3
<![CDATA[Hall of Maiden's Trap Encounter]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/429-Hall-of-Maiden-s-Trap-Encounter Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:33:34 GMT *The Maids’ of Strahd *XP 2,400 Stained lace hangs neatly from eight canopied beds. In each bed, a figure of a young woman lays motionless, pale... The Maids’ of Strahd XP 2,400
Stained lace hangs neatly from eight canopied beds. In each bed, a figure of a young woman lays motionless, pale hands folded over her chest. In the eighth bed lay Ireena Kolyana dressed not in the armor you last saw her in, but a white wedding dress.
Perception
characters can’t use Perception to detect this trap
Additional Skill: Arcana
DC 30 : the character notices that Ireena is just an illusion, but the rest of the women are real
Trigger
The trap attacks when either someone touches the body of a maiden or Ireena’s image.
Attack
Opportunity Action Melee
Target: Each creature in the room.
Attack: +21 vs. AC
Hit: 4d6+15 necrotic damage, and the target is weakened and immobilized (save ends both).
Countermeasures:
*A character who approaches the maidens within 2 squares can disable the trap by succeeding on a DC 20 Religion check as a standard action
*A character adjacent to the body of a maiden can reduce the bones to inert shards (AC 5; Fortitude 10; Reflex 5; hp 40)

This is the trap I created, I used a trap from the Open Grave book as my base and modified it a bit to suit the Castle. Also I wanted it to have a bit more substance than just a trap, by making it an encounter where the PC's are haunted

My changes:

I set up 7 minion monsters that were actual ghosts of the maidens and immune to the necrotic effects of the trap. They had attacks that dealt psychic damage to the party while their corpse was still "active" (read: hasn't been crushed to dust or laid to rest).

The ghosts attacks did minor damage compared to the room, but when they did inflict damage they told a bit of their story and their last moments of happiness in town before they were abducted and taken to the castle

DM Notes: I used the elite version of the trap in open grave, the skeletons having 80 hp really slowed things down..and the pcs were battered each round with the necrotic energies...almost resulting in a party wipe. If I were to do it again I'd use the same damage for the trap, only 40 hp for the bones, and either 1) go back to the original design and ONLY divine class heroes can use the religion check to disable that corpse or 2) raise the DC to 30 so that it'd be harder to shut a corpse down for people that are not trained in the skill.

This was my first attempt at actually designing a trap as I've felt up till now the traps in my campaign came straight from some 4E source...so all in all...not bad. I really liked this encounter and the PC's seemed to really get into the stories of how the women died...which was awesome for me because I nailed that part of the trap. ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/429-Hall-of-Maiden-s-Trap-Encounter
Castle Ravenloft Session 2 : A Swift POKE in the EYE http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/422-Castle-Ravenloft-Session-2-A-Swift-POKE-in-the-EYE Sat, 06 Jun 2009 23:30:30 GMT The best part of writing scary monsters is seeing how the group handles the situation. Though I'm happy with how I modified Strahd, modifing the EYE of Strahd gave me an equal satisfaction.

We go back to 7th level...at the original Expedition to Castle Ravenloft encounter named, "the crossroads", where they met the last remaining Paladin storming into battle against some murks (kinda like shadows)...but I played this encounter before...it's boring, it's kinda easy...and there was no memories I carried with me about it.....so enter Tamerath's red marker editiing the encounter to better suit his party and the experience he wanted to tell...what I changed?

The, Paladin, Sir Braedan is a Knight of the Raven still...but he's not your average knight (see later description)

The easy stupid murks were replaced with a lieutenant of Strahd...a bloodkiss beholder (Open Grave) named the Eye of Strahd who is one of his "spies". The battle was brutal...Braedan rushed in...our party rushed in...the Beholder felled the Artificer in the first round and was tearing up our PC's fast without their "healer"...the PC's ran....ran fast all in different directions...while the Eye chased after Braedan....when they come back to the scene with a militia from the town of Barovia...it is gone...

Pan Ahead....as the PC's take the side passages and tunnels leading upward they enter a secret passage in the Throne Room. This room was supposed to have Strahd in his "feral form"...but not wanting to play the Strahd card 2 rooms in a row I opted for a
"party morale" booster encounter....Since the party HATED getting defeated by the Eye of Strahd, I brought him back and used him here...you should have seen their faces...they caught it off guard (which was really good rolling on their part)...formulated a solid plan...and ATTACKED!....the encounter was vicious...the eye doing 50 points of damage to the swordmage in the first round. The fourth round saw the Artificer down for the count yet again...the party was falling fast...and when the Artificer fell....the beholder's bloodkiss power regenerated 100+ hp!!!! Then, the party started doing well...they dragged out the artificer, healed him....had him heal THEM...and then really took the fight back from the fiend....round 10 saw the beholder slain in defeat...and high-fives were issued across the table...Good work I must say. Things got interesting from this point...

The party met the Stewart of Castle Ravenloft (passed the skill challenge with INSANE rolls)...and had him point them to the way of the library... (This encounter is changed significantly from the book...I'll post more on it later as I don't want to give anything away just yet)

The party came across the Hall of Maids room (originally a "mood setting" room if the party even found it...) where they found Ireena laying in a bed along with other maidens sleeping....the party was able to deduce through Arcana and Perception rolls that 1) Ireena wasn't there...it was just an illusion..and 2) the girls weren't breathing...thinking they were vampires they wanted to stake them there so they wouldn't have to worry about them later. As the group formed into position to stake 4 of the maids...they plunged their stakes into the chests of the maids....to their surprise their skin fell like ash away from blackend skeletons....and the TRAP was sprung. This trap was designed to tell some of the story..the story how these women were abducted from the village by agenst of Strahd and were brought here where they died soon later and were placed in this room...the ghosts of these women where nothing but minions...but the threat came not from them...but the necrotic / psychic damage the party took each round till they either a) performed a religion check to properly give rest to the undead or b) crushed the skeletons themselves...As the party closed the doors behind them...they heard a whisper echo, "She WILL be mine"...

The last encounter had them facing off a corridor where they got the jump on a patrol...3 Strahd zombies and another agent of Strahd...a Medusa named Avarice...this encounter I was really impressed with...the beginning tactics were a bit lame and only actually helped ONE group member do his job better...but seconds into combat they scrapped that horrible plan and found purchase with a better plan. The Medusa fell to the Swordmage's blade...but not before swearing to see the party again....as mists formed over her body...when it dissipated she was no longer there. Suddenly the image of a woman came from a statue of her likeness and introduced herself as Lady Vallen Ren of the Knights of the Raven....

Personally I didn't think the PC's would make it here...so I hadn't fleshed her out as well as I wanted...so we stopped there for the night and just set the stage for the next adventure. Hope you enjoyed reading...and I'll keep you all posted with the goings on in Ravenloft via here or Gardens of Stone. Take care all and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/422-Castle-Ravenloft-Session-2-A-Swift-POKE-in-the-EYE
Star Wars The Old Republic http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/404-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic Tue, 02 Jun 2009 08:10:06 GMT I know this is off-topic, but it's my blog so here it is...everyone...I have a confession to make....I'm a GAMER!!!! Not just pen and paper games...but all games. I own an xbox 360 (currently down with the red ring of death...), a psp, boatloads of games, and yes I do have a subscription to World of Warcraft (though honestly not as addicted to it as I once was).

So I've been following The new Star Wars MMORPG that Bioware (you dnd fans might recognize that they did the Neverwinter Nights game...and you Star Wars fans know them as well as the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic for the XBox). And my friends, so far I've seen a couple of classes they are coming out with...the history they are putting behind the game, etc.....all great stuff...but today they absolutely blew my mind.

Today they released a cinematic trailer for the game. I know the in-game graphics will look nothing like this..and it's not the point or what blew my mind....The game's trailer takes place shortly before the game (the complete story is on the site so just a summary)...the sith have come out of deep space and have taken many worlds all the way to the Core...where they arrange to have peace talks on Alderaan.....the Republic, feeling the sting of defeat, agree to them...go to the world where they find that the Sith have fooled them taking their main attack force to Coruscant and attack the planet...enter the movie

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/...ematic-trailer

I can't tell you how incredible this short 3 and a half minutes of cinematic beauty really is...all I know is that Bioware has never let me down with their games...and it looks like they are going in the right direction with this one as well. So there it is...enjoy ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/404-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic
Watching the Clock http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/399-Watching-the-Clock Sat, 30 May 2009 18:44:17 GMT I'm counting down the minutes till I leave for our next game session. I don't know about you other players out there in Pen and Paper Games land...but before a game I get psyched! I don't care if I'm dming or playing...it's what I look forward to for two solid weeks. Watching the Clock tick tock it's way till my departure just makes me all the more anxious to go and see what everyone is going to do tonight...what jokes will be made? Who's going to roll well (or horribly)?, Who will die...and who will do something fantastically heroic and unexpected?......and a personal high for me is how the pc's will handle the encounters I've planned and what the tactics will be that they used. So my question to my readers out there....How do you spend the time before a game night? What do you look forward to? ]]> Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/399-Watching-the-Clock Castle Ravenloft Session 1 / Part 2 http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/394-Castle-Ravenloft-Session-1-Part-2 Wed, 27 May 2009 23:16:22 GMT Castle Ravenloft Session 1 / Part 2 “Ah my guests…please join me for dinner…after that last encounter with some of the denizens of my castle you... Castle Ravenloft Session 1 / Part 2

“Ah my guests…please join me for dinner…after that last encounter with some of the denizens of my castle you must be famished.”

My skeptical group walked into a dining room where strahd sat at the head of a table facing him (Honestly didn’t understand why the book originally sat it up for him to be RIGHT next to them as they entered the door with his back to them…that’s not the Strahd I’m roleplaying anyway). I tried to set this up as a skill challenge and even gave a disclaimer when they rolled initiative that it’s not a battle…nor does it have to be…but I think my group heard INITIATIVE…LET’S KILL SOMETHING. Lol So I didn’t run it as much of a skill challenge as I wanted to and set it up more as a roleplaying encounter with Strahd, for them to know a little about their main villain as well as for him to get a chance to know what THEY know of him. He offered succulent steak and a nice Cabernet Sauvignon Wine from a small wine vineyard that lied just outside Barovia prior to the Dark Powers swallowing up Barovia. Flaunting his wealth and arrogance he carried his conversations with the weight of his human actions, as well as told stories of the traitors of Leo Disilnya that assaulted him and how he eventually got his revenge upon him. At one point the group asked a question that, though I don’t remember the exact question, it was something to do with them intruding on his castle and that they are a threat to them in kind with, “I view you not as a threat I assure you…..to me I view you as little more a threat than the steak on your plates. To me you a footnote in history where as I am eternal.” It was a great line…showing his arrogance, but seconds later the sword mage lifted her glass in toast and said, “To Love…the Love that Tatyana and Sergei must of felt on their wedding night” Drinking the wine, her and the avenger had taken in a bit of Strahd’s vampiric blood making them more susceptible to Strahd’s Domination Powers….but that was only an after effect because by this point the party had gotten their wise cracks in and the angered ancient vampire unleashed his powers upon the group. Even as he turned party member against party member, he moved with lightning speed across the room and lifted the artificer off the ground by his throat choking the air from him. As the Artificer reached for a stake in his belt he instead turned to a salve of slipperiness and coated himself with it’s oily substance, sliding out from Strahd’s grasp as the vampire drew him closer to drain his life blood from his neck. But what the party didn’t know was this was only a test of their strength and seeing that the adventurers posed little threat to him he decided to lead them into a trap instead. Strahd attacked on last time casting a necrotic powered lighting bolt that hit 3 of the party members hard before he assumed his mist form and slipped through the cracks of a hidden passage way….a passage way that would hopefully lead to their dooms.

DM Notes: It’s important to note that my original intent was to run this as a skill challenge but as I said earlier I don’t think it was clear to the players that this was indeed what it was and not a combat encounter waiting to happen. So while a couple of the players tried to be diplomatic, it was said in the original and also part of my skill challenge that certain topics would anger or bore Strahd which would result in a small fight. I concluded that their end remarks failed the skill challenge (if you could call it that) and that prompted the battle. I believe it was really well done from a DM standpoint…I really got to play Strahd up, which is an encounter I’ve waited for since the start of this campaign. A summary of the battle thus in detail was that the pc’s entered the dining room where I had placed Strahd…after a bit of roleplaying…he attacked them relying on the wine a player drank to fully dominate that character turning it against the rest of the party while attacking the party’s “leader” class. (I can play this off because at this point he’s seen the party in battle several times and knows that if he could disable the party’s “healer” then they will quickly fall one by one.). After a couple of rounds he shot 3 closely positioned pcs with his “Necrotic Lightning Bolt Power” (Strahd is a spellcaster and necromancer in the older versions…and I wanted to keep a bit of that so I took the Wizard’s Lightning Bolt Power and added the Necrotic Keyword…even though it’s a power that Strahd uses in this encounter…it’s not something he’s going to rely on..which is why it’s not in his stat block I posted earlier…and also it’s something I wanted to keep to my chest to surprise the group…..SURPRISE!!!!! lol ANYWAY, following up this he escaped down a web covered passage way in his mist form…in the original module there was nothing there…but why would he escape down an empty web covered passage way when he could lead them into a trap where 3 phaseweb spiders awaited the weakened party members?....EXACTLY so with my party in pursuit they were ambushed by these beasts. The creatures were a standard encounter and really not much of a threat but the lack of their encounter and daily powers did give the pc’s a bit of a disadvantage. Finally, the spiders were defeated and the pc’s were left to think about their next course of actions…..follow the direction Strahd was leading them to…or go back the way they came and explore other rooms of Castle Ravenloft….I guess we shall soon see this week.

P.S. Did I mention how much I ENJOYED playing STRAHD???....It was so cool ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/394-Castle-Ravenloft-Session-1-Part-2
Ravenloft Campaign Notes http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/389-Ravenloft-Campaign-Notes Tue, 26 May 2009 18:01:14 GMT A wonderful week has passed and I dearly hope you all had a great relaxing Memorial Day weekend. For me, I had the chance to pick up the Monster... A wonderful week has passed and I dearly hope you all had a great relaxing Memorial Day weekend. For me, I had the chance to pick up the Monster Manual 2 for 4th Edition. Rather than just give a full review...I'll simplify and say it's great...buy it if your a dm and you won't regret it.

In other news:
For those of you that haven't been following I've been running Expedition to Ravenloft converted over to 4th Edition. My players and I have been loving every moment of it ! Something odd though happened today. I was doing some research for this weekends game session and NORMALLY I'm not one for you tube videos...but I thought it'd give it a quick search when I found 3 user made videos done VERY well and captured the feeling of the first part of the campaign nicely. So please check them out...

The Adventure Leads off while you are at an inn...a human of foreign lineage walks up to your table and says, "The village of Barovia is in need of adventurers...you'll do"...and hands them

The Letter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExdgxegBq14&feature=channel_page

which leads to...

The Arrival
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d-BzCOjJk4&feature=channel_page

Following the trail your quest leads to the Chapel of Barovia where you find the source of the zombie infection wasn't due to some overly sinister plot but of....

Father’s Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ggj...eature=channel

I wish I had found these videos sooner but it gives you an idea of what my players have been through in the very beginning of this dark tale.

Speaking of Ravenloft I want to invite you all to the Gardens of Stone social group. After many conversations and advice going back and forth between me and Baron Semedi we decided to create a place where all of us Ravenloft gloom dwellers can go to post cool and interesting things. So head over there (you can go there via the link on my profile page) and join up. We'd love to hear your thoughts, old game sessions, new ideas...etc.

Later this week (hopefully today) I'll post the second part of our last game session where my players had an interesting dinner to say the least with Strahd. Misunderstood vampire just trying to get by? Or truly the Devil Strahd the villagers think him to be? You decide... ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/389-Ravenloft-Campaign-Notes
Castle Ravenloft Session 1 / Part 1 http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/377-Castle-Ravenloft-Session-1-Part-1 Tue, 19 May 2009 17:32:13 GMT With the adventurer’s ready and decked out in their new gear they traveled to Castle Ravenloft. Up till now the party had a wizard with them, but... With the adventurer’s ready and decked out in their new gear they traveled to Castle Ravenloft. Up till now the party had a wizard with them, but after he went mad and obsessed with leaving the Dread Realm…they were left one short. Not really a problem these days in Barovia, as it seems that the mists have granted access to many an adventurer that now find themselves trapped and fighting for their lives. One such victim is Lucian, an Elven Avenger, who was lead by his god Correllon to fight a great evil here in these nightmarish lands. He has been a loner fighting against other fiends while hearing tales of others who, like him, seek to end their entrapment and free this land from it’s cruel tyrant. When word of assault of the villain’s castle reached him, he approached the party and added one more to their current roster. As they traveled the mountain pass and crossed the drawbridge leading into the clutches of Castle Ravenloft’s battlements, I had to wonder….were they really prepared to face Strahd? That answer would come sooner rather than later I fear….

The Characters
Caelvan - Elven Ranger
Lucian - Elven Avenger
Sorrow - Shadar-kai Swordmage
Alec Van Richten - Half-Elf Artificer

Note: For those Reading you can probably follow along with me in Expedition to Ravenloft for map composition, but I’ve changed MANY of the encounters to suit my own story agenda.

The Entry
The 50 ft. doors of Castle Ravenloft stood open before them with a well lit room….what laid beyond that was only darkness. As the party very cautiously entered the second room the room ignited in light and as they looked around they found the Devil Strahd himself on the stairway overlooking them. He warned them of invading his domain and with a gesture of his hand they were left in darkness again, surrounded by the gargoyle that stood silent only a moment before and were fighting back to back. Beyond their immediate battle they saw darkened ghostlike figures beyond them flying around them then traveling into the darkness beyond.

DM Notes: So the party are facing 4 9th level gargoyles and 2 10th level Stonewalker Spirits (Dungeon #160) The 4 vs. 4 gargoyles force them to split their damage while the Stonewalker Spirits fly down the hall to possess their statues (where the original doom guards were located in the original module). This part was successful. With the party stretched thin and fighting their own gargoyle…they weren’t really doing enough damage to kill them…which they soon found out when the gargoyles reverted to their stone forms and began to slowly heal, while the possessed statues rushed in to hammer the party. This was a very effective encounter. I could have simply taken the statues up higher into the domed ceiling and stone formed them that way if they ever tried to get out the front door they’d have to deal with them again….but frankly I thought it best to take it easy on them after 6 weeks of not playing and once the party started to work together they dropped fast. Was a bit on the slow side though…oh…and the fact that the spirits weren’t undead but corrupted earth elementals threw them off as well, as radiant damage didn’t do a thing for them this encounter.

After a brief rest the party continued to the dining room…where they came face to face with Strahd yet again, who invited them…..for dinner?!?! Hmmm..what tricks does he have in store for the party and what lies ahead in the first session…we will see in my later post ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/377-Castle-Ravenloft-Session-1-Part-1
The Doors of Castle Ravenloft Are Opening....Will You Be Ready? http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/365-The-Doors-of-Castle-Ravenloft-Are-Opening-Will-You-Be-Ready Tue, 12 May 2009 20:57:14 GMT Wow, Our next session is coming fast upon us this Saturday. It gave me a lot of ideas while I take a brief break to play around here in my blog. ... Wow, Our next session is coming fast upon us this Saturday. It gave me a lot of ideas while I take a brief break to play around here in my blog.

So Will You Be Ready?

So shortly before the group made their way to Castle Ravenloft I gave them one last opportunity to buy what they needed...as I feel it's going to be a long haul for them from here on out. So what did they buy? Are they indeed ready? and what does it take to survive in a dungeon for extended periods of time? All great questions

I come from a really old school way of thinking and one of my friends at our bi-weekly game suggested this to his fellow players and I'll post it here because it was a great piece of advice

Jermaine thank you

Jermaine's Advice: "As a player you gotta picture yourself in almost any situation you'll find yourself in. You gotta think...if I get stuck in a pit..how will I climb out. What do I do for nurishment while in a dungeon so long, what if I'm trying to run away from a creature? You gotta almost picture before hand what a DM is going to throw at you and best guess what you can do to survive through it."

That's pretty awesome advice to any player. Sometimes the mundane or utility equipment comes last when you are planning your gear as a player. Especially at heroic tier though, I think it should be taken into account along with your armor and weapon allotment. You can probably get by with a lower damage weapon or lower grade armor because you'll probably find better along the way.

What would Tamerath take?
Well, unfortunately my aristocratical spoiled-noble swordmage wouldn't take crap with him and be the least prepared of all the party...lol...figures huh?..metagaming is a nasty *****, but even spoiled noble swordmages will eventually learn that those minor trinkets that are beneath his stature will probably be best served in his inventory than a shiny diamond or ornate mirror...and definately over the expensive clothing he wears...

Okay...what would Tamerath take if he wasn't playing such a annoying priss?!
HEY! That's MY annoying priss you are talking about!...lol....hmmm...well...

Adventurer's Kit: rope, bedroll, backpack, flint and steel, 2 sunrods, beltpouch, 10 days worth of food, and a waterskin (basic gear)

Hammer, and Spikes (to secure a nights stay while in a dungeon)

ROPE..lots of ROPE: Your Adventurer's Kit came with 50 feet..what happens beyond that?

Food and Water: Probably around level 6 you can afford or ask for everlasting provisions...but till then it's crusty old bread and dried meat for you to eat and stale water....but trust me it's a lot better than what they have in a dungeon....

ORNATE MIRRORS!!!!: SHUT UP SWORDMAGE!!!!.....well...not ornate mirrors...but a small mirror to slide around a corner is good for sneaking around passages when you don't want to be seen but want to take a look around a corner. ((Note: in 2nd and 3rd Edition these were a must while fighting basalisks and medusa)

Leomunds secret chest: It's a ritual in 4th Edtion, and a general spell before that. Good news is that in 4th it won't be taking up a spell slot best suited for an attack spell)....so what's it do? You create a chest prior to this ritual and place it anywhere you wish...then when this ritual is cast it summons the chest to you...you put your heavy crap inside said chest..then it vanishes again to previous location. It's an awesome level 6 ritual.

Climber's Kit: I overlooked this in 4th Edition but honestly...it's worth it. spikes, 10 pitons, a small hammer, and a grappling hook...not only that...+2 bonus to Athletics checks while climbing....

Lanterns and OIL....OIL for goodness sake!: you might want a little extra light...and the lantern is good for this....but don't forget to buy plenty of oil....which not only is useful in lanterns...but other stuff you want to light up with FIRE to BURN

Thieves' Tools: Nessessity for you trained in the skill....

Ale: It's 2 sp man! Fill up that "Waterskin" with some happy juice for you and your party....it'll be a much better time.

Hope you Enjoyed This Weeks Blog...and I'll see you in the dungeon (Hopefully I won't be the skeleton of a long dead adventurer holding a wine filled flask) ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/365-The-Doors-of-Castle-Ravenloft-Are-Opening-Will-You-Be-Ready
Happy Birthday To ME :) http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/353-Happy-Birthday-To-ME-) Thu, 07 May 2009 18:40:20 GMT So your friendly neighborhood eladrin swordmage turns 30 years old today. (young for an elf I guess...for a human though...psht...) So what are... So your friendly neighborhood eladrin swordmage turns 30 years old today. (young for an elf I guess...for a human though...psht...)

So what are my plans you might ask? I'm going to go watch the new star trek movie (hopefully?) or Wolverine Origins. So if you see me up at the Blue Jay theater in Blue Jay, CA around 7ishpm give me a holler! [that's my old WV talk for say hello :)] ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/353-Happy-Birthday-To-ME-)
<![CDATA[Player's Handbook 3 Playtests, my thoughts]]> http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/326-Player-s-Handbook-3-Playtests-my-thoughts Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:07:24 GMT I'm not exactly sure how many of us here on Pen & Paper Games are Dungeons & Dragons Insider members, but I am, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the Player's Handbook 3 Playtest articles they released. Keep in mind that these things might be changed before release...but here it goes

Hybrid Classes
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090406

The Wilden
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090420

So my thoughts: I'm sure the Player's Handbook 3 will have more races and classes...and the Player's Handbook 2 was really top notch in my opinion....but looking at the Hybrid stuff as a different way to multiclass....I don't know...I'm not sold on it. As for the Wilden...I think it's great that you see a race from the Feywild...but I definately cant get a good idea on what they look like due to the subpar artwork they gave them....it looks more like something from the Shadowfell. What are your thoughts? ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/326-Player-s-Handbook-3-Playtests-my-thoughts
Evolution of the Devil Strahd Part Two http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/308-Evolution-of-the-Devil-Strahd-Part-Two Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:06:07 GMT So as promised I am going to be serving you up full of Dread Lord options that I personally will be using against my group and to any other DM's out there that care for my particular blend of Ravenloft Flavor.

Strahd has changed so much over the years. He's been a fighter (possibly warlord), he's been a necromancer in some incarnations and wizard in others....so what role do you want him to play is pretty much up to you, DM. He's seen so much in his undead years who knows what he has up his sleeve...which is what I'm about to show.

In particular, my version is going to have 4 different forms he can choose. After reading Dracula I had some ideas...as well as popular culture. Legacy of Kain, Underworld: Evolution, and the movie version of Bram Stoker's Dracula I got many others.

Notes: all these forms were actually in his 3.5/4th Edition counterparts...I have lowered their level and damage to reflect their decrease in power. The werebat is the form I'm revisioning for gameplay purposes.

Strahd’s Black Wolf Form
Speed 8
Savage Bite (standard; at-will)
+21 vs. AC; 2d12+6 damage, and the target is knocked prone.
Combat Advantage
Strahd gains combat advantage against a target that has one or more of Strahd’s allies adjacent to it. If Strahd has combat advantage against the target, the target is also knocked prone on a hit.

Notes: In this form I could see Strahd with a couple of his zombies or henchmen. It's more about feeling then doing actual damage I believe. Strahd uses hit and run tactics and if used as a lone monster encounter in the castle he'd probably "play lurker role" and lunge out of the shadows...tear out the neck of a pc..then bolt down the halls.

Strahd’s Swarm of Bats Form
Swarm Attack aura 1; Strahd makes a swarm of vampiric teeth attack as a free action against any enemy that starts its turn within the aura.
Resist half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 10 against close and area attacks
Swarm of Vampiric Teeth (standard; at-will) Necrotic
+21 vs. AC; 2d6+6 necrotic damage, and the target is weakened until the end of Strahd’s next turn.

Notes: The PC's have already fought against Strahd in this form in my game. While this might be particularly useful in some encounters and for the dramatics part...It again showcases his hit and run tactics as his mist form with the ablility to fly out of the reach of the pcs.

Strahd’s WereBat Form
Speed fly (hover) 8
Darkfire Breath (minor; recharge 6) Fire
Close blast 5; +17 vs. Reflex; 2d10+6 fire damage, and target takes ongoing 10 fire damage.

Notes: I saw this in 3.5 as possibly the weakest of his forms...maybe I just see it wrong. My issue is back then he loses all (or most) of his spellcasting powers and if I kept it in the same line as his animal forms he'd lose Crippling Strike and his Choking Mists power. I can't have that. First off if Underworld : Evolution has shown...Werebat Vampires can use their claws and even their wings to great effect as weapons. The movie Bram Stoker's Dracula even gave me of an idea that perhaps he could burn things. So here it is, my personal baby, Strahd loses his Dominate ability...I could see this in both a cinematic encounter or as a DM...he's scary enough that it could jar someone from under his control. So what's going to take the place of controlling a pc to attack his friends? Having the Darkfire Breath Attack. (As an old Castlevania gamer it also makes sense). So is this his most powerful form...no..still like his original form better, but it's utility all the way. He will be able to fly, swoop down and deliver claw attacks (crippling strike), blow dark blue flames as the pcs try to close in around him, and also I see him as a bit of a grappler here. His original incarnation (3.5 version) had him trying to grab and deliver bite attacks...as will I with him grappling with his claws and wings and delivering blood draining attacks. For the story part of this I only seeing it used a couple times.

So there he is for the most part....I still have a couple more tricks up my sleeve...as does Strahd, as I will showcase in the next installment. Enjoy and Good Gaming! ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/308-Evolution-of-the-Devil-Strahd-Part-Two
Evolution of the Devil Strahd http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/304-Evolution-of-the-Devil-Strahd Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:10:53 GMT So if you've been following my blog you know I have a huge undertaking converting Castle Ravenloft's 80+ rooms. That's not as much as a challenge as all the effort going in to make Strahd the antagonist I have always dreamed about. First things first... 3.5 has a lot of good ideas for him...and 4th has even a few more. So How about we combine them shall we.

Before we begin I want to shoot out a small disclaimer that Strahd is an intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast. I'm borrowing heavily from stuff they already put out for him in Expedition Castle Ravenloft, and Open Grave.

So Let us Begin...

Count Strahd von Zarovich Level 15 Solo Skirmisher
Medium Natural Humanoid (Shapechanger, Undead) XP: 6000
Initiative +14 Senses Perception +12; darkvision, blindsight 10
HP 730; Bloodied 365; see also second wind and indestructible
Regeneration 10 (regeneration doesn’t function while Strahd is exposed to direct sunlight)
AC 31; Fortitude 28; Reflex 29; Will 30
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic; see also mist form; Vulnerable 10 radiant
Saving Throws +5
Speed 6, climb 4 (spider climb); see also animal form, crippling strike, and mist form
Action Points: 2
Crippling Strike (standard; at-will) Necrotic
+17 vs. Fortitude; 3d10+3 necrotic damage, and the target is slowed until the end of Strahd’s next turn. Hit or Miss: Strahd shifts up to 2 squares.
Blood Drain (standard; at-will) Healing
Requires combat advantage against the target; +17 vs. Fortitude; 3d10+3 damage, and the target is weakened (save ends), and Strahd regains 20 hit points.
Dominating Gaze (minor; at-will) Charm, Gaze
Ranged 5; +17 vs. Will; the target is dominated and takes a -2 penalty to saving throws against being dominated (save ends both). Aftereffect: The target is dazed and takes ongoing 10 psychic damage (save ends both). Strahd can only have one dominated creature at a time.
Strahd’s Choking Fog (standard; sustain minor or move; encounter) Poison, Zone
Area burst 5 within 10 squares; the burst creates a zone of poisonous vapors that lasts until the end of Strahd’s next turn. A creature that enters the zone or that starts it’s turn in the zone takes 1d10+3 poison damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends). Sustain Minor: The zone persists. Sustain Move: the zone persists, and Strahd can move it up to 5 squares.
Animal Form (minor; at-will) Polymorph
Strahd transforms into a swarm of bats or a black wolf. He cannot use Crippling Strike or Choking Fog, though he gains new powers and statistics in addition to those he regularly has. Strahd can revert to his normal form as a minor action.
Mist Form (standard;sustain minor; encounter) Polymorph
All conditions affecting Strahd end, and he becomes insubstantial and gains fly (hover) 12 until the end of his next turn. Strahd cannot attack while in this form.
Werebat Form (minor; at-will) Polymorph
Strahd transforms into a monstrosity of both man and bat. He gains fly (hover) 8 in this new form. He cannot use his Dominating Gaze attack, but he gains new powers and statistics in addition to those he regularly has. Strahd can revert to his normal form as a minor action.
Scent of Blood
Strahd gains combat advantage against living, bloodied foes.
Second Wind (standard; encounter) Healing
Strahd spends a healing surge and regains 182 hit points. Strahd gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of his next turn.
Indestructible (when reduced to 0 hit points)
Strahd’s mist form power recharges, and he uses it immediately. Strahd does not die, but he must reach his coffin within 2 hours or be destroyed.
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Supernal
Skills Bluff +20, Insight +15, Intimidate +20, Stealth +17
Str 18 (+11) Dex 20 (+12) Wis 17 (+10)
Con 18 (+11) Int 23 (+13) Cha 26 (+15)

So the largest change in this installment of Strahd is that my party couldn't possibly have even a glimmer of hope at level 10 to take down this monster. I'm planning by the time they fight Strahd in their final battle they will be level 13 or 14 and stand a better chance. What you got to remember is that Strahd is a Domain Lord in Ravenloft...he shouldn't be an easy fight...and keeping him level 15 throughout this will allow for those (crap...we should really run scenes) to those...we got him on the ropes and just might win scenes. Aside from that...Strahd is the major villian of my campaign and not only do I start him out at level 15...but he'll be back again in his 20th level...and maybe *gasp* an epic 29 or 30 solo Strahd?....only time will tell but it's definately in my campaign planning. Also as another little idea I got from both his 4th and 3.5 versions...I want ALL his major vampire underlings to have the Indestructable feature...because in My Ravenloft I don't see them just running out of hit points and dying...when my players can actively seek their coffins and nail them into their final resting place....it's just so much more fun the old way :)

In my next installment I'll show you my plans for the shapechanging aspects of Strahd. Yes all his new forms (swarm of bats, big black wolf, mist form, but could it be that Tamerath has other tricks up his sleeve...the answer is a DEFINATE YES). ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/304-Evolution-of-the-Devil-Strahd
Into the Mists http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/299-Into-the-Mists Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:52:24 GMT Coming back from Vegas I had a long time to think on the drive home. I have so many ideas brimming over but now it's time to get back into the swing of things. The Good News...I'll have time for my daily life and get a good jump on Castle Ravenloft conversions, or reimagined encounters....the BAD news....no gaming for what looks to be 4 weeks...maybe I'll work faster this way and convert what I can in that time...Castle Ravenloft is almost a campaign in itself....I'VE SO WANTED to do this since I first read a Ravenloft adventure (The Created I think)...but the first time I heard about Domain Lords..and how Strahd is a key figure...just got me dreaming. I couldn't find the perfect time to run this till now...4th Edition...and more heroic than ever. I set my player's characters to level 10 and as the doors open they'll see Strahd Von Zarovich in all his undead majesty.....after a long pause he speaks, "Haven't you heard that those who enter Castle Ravenloft never escape?" With a villianous laugh he throws his arms up as all the candle flames roar up then extinguish leaving the party in darkness with the boom of the ancient doors sealing behind them. They are about to fight their greatest challenge yet....

Side Note: I didn't do that bad in Vegas...won maybe 20 dollars on penny slots..and the shows are incredible!. Saw Blue Man Group (AWESOME, HIGH ENERGY), Terry Fator (Great comedian and ventrilloquist...however that's spelled), and Chris Angel (in a Circus del sollie performance...where I was HUGELY dissappointed...and I really like Mind Freak). I took all my 4th Edition books I needed to convert....but never had a single moment to pull them out...which I find incredible because in the past I've always made time to work on d&d. ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/299-Into-the-Mists
Las Ravenloft http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/284-Las-Ravenloft Wed, 08 Apr 2009 07:08:44 GMT So in my previous post you see that I had a lot of lofty ideals that I had planned for last adventure....did they happen? Well...not exactly. ... So in my previous post you see that I had a lot of lofty ideals that I had planned for last adventure....did they happen? Well...not exactly.

Before I even begin I fell prey to the "Underestimating the Players" rule that every dm stumbles on every once a blue moon. I knew, as I planned last adventure that even as I was going to kill my party that they'd come back....BUT...they didn't know this..so they fought tooth and nail, used everything in their power to stay alive, and fled when all the chips were down. I frankly couldn't kill them after that. I'm definately not one to kill in roleplay. Especially after an event that killed one of my old favorite characters...something like this:

(spoken to the group in a tent...)
"Well, frankly the king isn't paying us much..we'd be better off kidnapping the king and holding him for randsom...snicker...giggle"

DM: Two guards hear you....they take you to jail...start rolling up a new character because you are dead

Me: "Really?!....like dead dead? Like I don't get to try to get myself out of the jam at least?"

DM: Nope...you're dead.

lol while that DM probably didn't like me throwing off his game probably...I actually like my players to challenge me to think...so what can I say...Strahd came down to kill them at his moment of triumph...and my pcs fought back...No they didn't do much damage to him they REALLY survived..and when they saw that's all they were doing they found a way to distract them with a mutual enemy while they escaped. I think if anything...they should be rewarded...so I did in a way.

So as a DM to you readers...yeah it screwed up a good idea...but hey, players are players and if you limit yourself to only ideas that are in your head and not letting your players take a bit of control over their fates I think it does the game an injustice. Besides.....I got plenty of ideas up my sleeves...as soon they'll find out when they step onto the battlements of Castle Ravenloft for the first time.

So the title is Las Ravenloft and you might be wondering why...we'll this swordmage is heading to Las Vegas tomorrow..and while I'll try to convert Castle Ravenlofts 90 plus rooms and encounters I don't think it'll be ready for the next session. But trust me when I say it's going to be incredible.

Also I might be getting a couple of new players to our group...and whether they decide to just jump in for some scary Ravenloft goodness or stay in our group permenently I want to welcome them all the same. Can't wait to play next! Wish me luck on the slots! ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/284-Las-Ravenloft
Ravenloft Maddness...OH YEAH http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/264-Ravenloft-Maddness-OH-YEAH Fri, 03 Apr 2009 19:21:47 GMT I hesitated to post this but seeing as I don't think my players will read this it's safe and if they do actually read it...well...looks like they'll have a heads up on tomorrow's game session.

So what I miss about 4th Edition more than anything is the ability to become a werewolf or vampire....or anything else...you name it...mummy, ghoul, wight,.....so I have been toying on how to get it back in my game. Not that I want people to be overpowered but it loses that sense of (crap...I've been werewolf attacked.....am I in danger of becoming one myself)

Well the answer in my game is that I've allowed for some old 3.5 and old editions to bleed over into my game. It's no fun really when a creature just has hitpoints to me....I think Strahd should be driven to zero hp...a stake nailed into his dying heart, his head (maybe his other limbs) chopped off...and then...MAYBE...HOPEFULLY...he'd be dead forever.

So along this line I've been messing with one of my players. I don't think it's against his will...but if it is then I'll find a way for him to change his pardicament....or maybe he'll like it...who knows....

So Frank, if you are reading...yes...yes indeed you are a werewolf. A nasty one at that. What I'm proposing to do with his character next game is a MASSIVE task on my part. First off...everyone in the next game is going to die...it's the facts....I don't know if anyone is going to see it coming but the clues were there....Everyone...except Frank (who at that same moment is going to turn into his werewolf form and surprise Strahd...and escape the DarkLord's wrath...and Candace...who's going to be lured into being Strahd's next bride. )

Now...what will happen to everyone...no they won't have to make new characters...in fact their bodies will be intact...Strahd plans to use them for some nefarious scheme...and the problem is timing...which is where the pc's come in. Beside being on the Shadowfell...their spirits are in torment...and so...I'll give them ghostly type of powers to help them try and get their bodies back, same will go for Frank's werewolf....which meshes well with him considering he's a Striker....so while I'm still tossing around ideas for tomorrow...I might replace his powers with more werewolf versions (giving him around the same damage with a different feel)...and I've also been kicking around making him a new monster stat block that he can use whenever the moon is full. (which will be left to me of course). It's a REAL departure to what they've come to expect as I've been running Expedition to Ravenloft pretty close to the original...but I'm an original DM...and I MUST change a little to throw them off. I think they'll love it...at least if anything else...it'll be different to see how they all meet up again. Bride of Strahd, The Dread Werewolf Ka-lac-chuk, and the Ghost Prisoners of Ravenloft....BWAH HA HA HA....BWAH HA HA HA ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/264-Ravenloft-Maddness-OH-YEAH
My newest character for my groups next campaign....EBERRON http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/242-My-newest-character-for-my-groups-next-campaign-EBERRON Sat, 28 Mar 2009 18:16:16 GMT ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Vordagar Dranzara, level 1
Shadar-kai, Avenger
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Retribution
Background: Crusading Zealot
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 16, Dex 18, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 10.
Starting Ability Scores
Str 13, Con 16, Dex 16, Int 17, Wis 18, Cha 10.

AC: 17 Fort: 15 Reflex: 15 Will: 15
HP: 30 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7
TRAINED SKILLS
Religion, Acrobatics, Stealth, Endurance.
FEATS
1: Vampiric Heritage
POWERS
1, At-Will: Bond of Retribution
1, At-Will: Overwhelming Strike
1, Encounter: Whirlwind Charge
1, Daily: Aspect of Might
ITEMS
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Silver Flame Daikatana, Adventurer's Kit, Crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (20)
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

The cold night winds buckle against the canvas tarps covering a shipment being loaded on the lightning rail that has been commissioned to take me to Sharn. I keep to the shadows as passengers board one-by-one. I'm not the common passenger though...I'm a messenger of the Silver Flame...a sharp instrument of Vengeance...and even as mundane as simple boarding procedures of this lightning rail I've been trained never to take things at face value...as I, myself, aren't completely as I seem at first. Electrical sparks play from beneath the rails conductor diodes occasionally painting a blue arcane hue to all it illuminates. I know I've been followed here...I wait to see, who it is this time that would snuff out my life, only to see 3 disguised House Orion attendants come into view and move toward the train. It would have passed my notice had they blended in better...as it was though they were to determined to find their quarry and not enough on using a cooler approach as they boarded. After a moment two entered the train and the other stayed behind to check in the straggling passengers. I hear the last boarding calls of the lightning rail as the the mystical engines begin to cycle and I know it's time to make my move. I'm the last as I move up and give them my false traveling papers...just another identity I use on my missions. The disguised attendant looks at me as he takes my papers and studies my face....I ready my stance...I feel anxious but push it downward and use it. He speaks to me but it's not the words I hear as my eyes fall upon a pendant he's wearing...one of an emerald claw. I answer that I am indeed Wellington Marcus the 3rd and my business is my own. The train shudders as it lifts from the ground on a living current of lightning. He wasn't ready for it...but I'm no novice to this type of travel. He moves forward as the ancient draconic words escape my lips swearing him as my mortal enemy. I use his momentum to slam his head where only moments before I stood. The impact of flesh against splintering wood echoed down the passageway. His allies might have heard it I knew...as I also knew I didn't have proper time to really relish this kill...for kill it would be...his or my own. He draws his dagger and comes after me as I too match his movements and draw a concealed blade of my own. He lunges after me and I pull him toward the edge of the doorway as I swing to the top of the train. He climbs to the top but I've used the darkness around me to conceal my true position. As he looks around I rush forward with my daikatana held high...the symbol of the Silver Flame blazes at my neck surrounding me in a whirlwind of light....he readies himself but even as he swings the whirlwind batters aside his swing as my sword stabs dead in his chest. The black of my eyes is the last thing he sees as I rip free the blade from his chest. One down....two to go....for at this moment I bide my time in shadow far from the Emerald Claw Soldier's body. ]]>
Tamerath http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/242-My-newest-character-for-my-groups-next-campaign-EBERRON