Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. DM Self Evaluation

For about two years now I've been DMing a D&D 4E campaign in MapTools. In the interest of trying to improve as a DM I like to take a moment from time to time and take a look at how things have been going; what parts I've done well and which parts I need to improve. Normally I'd base a lot of this on table talk from the players, its pretty easy to figure out what portions they liked based on their commentary. Since we're playing online this source of information isn't as available, despite ...
    Categories
    D&D
  2. Found a Module Format I Like

A while back, I complained about the lack of useful content in the D&DI subscription. Just recently I found a section that I really like, I donít know that it makes the subscription worthwhile, but its certainly a bright spot in it.

Most of the modules they offer are on the bland side, very little RP, then a dungeon crawl. This is probably a format that probably works for a some players. Myself, I prefer a story that is told throughout the adventure, there ought to be places ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Character Blogs

I gave my players an opportunity to earn rewards - action points in the system we use - for blogging about their adventures in their characters voice. More if done from a literacy view limited by appropriate level of literacy. A couple people clamored for it, but it turns out in several months not one player did it. I'm not sure what point this proves, or why i'm even bringing up the point, and i wont say i'm not disappointed... but i'm not surprised either.

I guess i was hoping ...
    Categories
    Musings
  4. Picking the right D&D for your child

This is a loaded question. My son is not even one yet and I'm already thinking that he has to play D&D at leased a couple times to try it out but with so many version which one is the best. The Rules Cyclopedia/Dark Dungeon edition is very basic, its where Dwarf is a class. Despite some of the oddities this game is a thing of beauty from its simplicity. This is the 'rules lite' indie version of D&D if there is such a thing. AD&D 1e is well thought out, interesting choices (with unearthed ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Resurrection or New Character?

Sometimes its hard to decide... I've long past the power gamer stage where i need a character that is the hero and can do everything in every situation. Heck, i don't worry about dying so much as i worry about a good death when it comes. But... what do you do when you are faced with the proposition of the possibility of resurrection vs. the opportunity to play a really cool new character concept? On the one hand, there's a lot invested in the old character... but its old hat. Its known and understood, ...
    Categories
    Musings