Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. New Games and Old

by , 12-25-2012 at 02:38 PM (Battle Plans and Campaign Strategies)
    I've played a fair number of RPGs. I've got the books for dozens of different games, and tend to be a completest when I decide to add a game to the group repertoire. But with the huge number of games on the shelf, and the wide range of genres they represent, it's becoming rarer that I stumble on a game (new or old) that I feel brings anything new to the table. For example, I don't feel there's much that would be offered by the myriad of fantasy RPGs that seem to come out every year. I have ...
    Categories
    Game Mastering
  2. Its hard to go back

So I have been playing Pathfinder and SR4A for awhile now and I was rereading the rules from 3.5 and SR3. I have found that while there are some things to like about the older games its really hard to go back to an older set of rules when you have played the newer set enough. The changes were made to make the game better and while some cool things may have been lost the newer games just play better. This is not to say you still cant have as much fun playing the older game its just that the newer ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Maybe running a game ... (part 2)

by , 11-03-2012 at 11:40 AM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    We ended up creating characters for Tunnels & Trolls, and I ran them through The Dungeon of the Rat, a new-ish GM adventure from RPGNow.

Then real life intervened. We've met twice in as many months, both times to run Dragon Age. It's an interesting system and an interesting world, but I'm not sure whether we'll return to T&T, do DA instead, or what. (Including just drift our separate ways.)

That got me thinking about another campaign I'd like to get started, ...
  4. The Loss of a Good Friend and Fellow Gamer...

by , 10-27-2012 at 02:41 PM (Battle Plans and Campaign Strategies)
    We got quite the shock this past Friday. We had assembled for the weekly game, getting ready to play, and were waiting on one player, a fellow named Dave. We didn't think much about it at the time. The player was always at least on time, usually early. We also were aware of a large deployment of power company vehicles along his route, and expected he might have hit traffic and/or turned around to use an alternate route. But after an hour passed we started to worry, and I called his house number ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Traps for sale, new traps for old....

A cat like me sees a lot of things sitting in odd corners. Few sentients pay attention to cats, unless we are making noise, or are trying to communicate on the move. Over the years, I have collected a number of interesting odds and ends. I once tried giving away a bunch of them, but it turned out that the operation of the various and sundry proved so complex, that it did not work out well for the poor recipient.

So I thought I would give some of them away one at a time. Drop me a line, ...
    Categories
    Gaming News