Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Tempting FATE: Advancement

There's one aspect of hacking up Spirit of the Century that was neglected in the previous posts: character advancement. That is, characters change in response to their experiences. Usually by getting mechanically better at what they do. Most games that I've seen build on this base model, either with levels or build points. Spirit of the Century, as written, is not one of these games.

By design, characters have already "made it" as pulp adventurers and heroes, so there's nowhere ...
  2. A PC's life is finite.

Saying its unfair to give the PC's an equal chance to die as the NPC's is just silly. The PC's at least get to choose their battles most of the time. NPC's and monsters are an expendable, renewable resource. They always die off faster then the PC's. If they didn't it would be a very short game and I would be a very lousy Dungeon Master.

If a PC gets thrown into an arena and forced to fight a veteran gladiator should they not be scared? Is it wrong to assume that gladiator is a survivor ...

Updated 12-22-2009 at 11:00 PM by scars_of_carma

Categories
    Gaming
  3. English for RPGs – Part 14

I was reading a description of a place where it was stated that the region was “hundreds of square miles on every side.” The square mile is a unit of area. That's the surface covered by the rectangle. The sides are miles long (miles being a unit of distance or length).

The plural of manservant is menservants.

I'm not quite sure about this one. “Different than” feels wrong to me, I would use “different from” instead. “Than” is used to make comparisons, but merely marking ...

Updated 12-18-2009 at 08:35 PM by TAROT (Category)

Categories
    Language
  4. The Road to War: Session 4

After crossing the bridge the PC's find the remains of small fire in the left tower and a few blankets that the hobgoblins had been using to keep warm while on watch. After a quick search they conclude that the hobs had no loot except what they took with them to the chasm below (and the keys to the door).

Between the two square towers they find the entrance, a stout oak door. The door is locked but the halfling Jason the Raven easily picks the lock. Erik and his wolf enter the tower. ...

Updated 12-24-2009 at 01:19 AM by kirksmithicus

Categories
    Campaign Logs
  5. Olympic Torch

Well, the Olympic torch went past my house today. Got a couple of pics that turned out so so.
    Tags: olympics, torch Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Life
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torch 1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	2423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torch 2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	2424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torch 3.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	2425