Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. High-level Play, Part 3

Make Yourself Aware of Other Divination Spells
    The universal counter to divinations is the Vecna-blooded template (Monster Manual 5 66-7), which unravels the creature from cosmic tapestry or something, and itís pretty awesome. Thereís nothing else in the game that humps divinations harder than the Vecna-blooded template.

A wand of extended misdirection [illus] (Playerís Handbook 254) (12th) (13,500 gp; 0 lbs.) moves all the creatureís auras from the affected creature to something ...
  2. High-level Play, Part 2

Stop the Spying before the Spying Starts
    Although the creature canít do anything about it, if the creature has the feat Whispered Secrets (Races of Destiny 155), after heís the target of the spell but before his Spell Resistanceís checked and before he makes a saving throw, he knows someoneís making an attempt to observe him via a spell in the scrying subschool.

The scrying and greater scrying spells check for Spell Resistance, and, as Spell Resistance ďis like an Armor Class ...
  3. High-level Play, Part 1

I've players who're unfamiliar with the latter half (levels 10+) of Dungeons and Dragons 3.5. That's okay. But a raft of rulings are needed when a dude casts the scrying spell and then casts the teleport spell to murder folks in their sleep. This is long 'cause I try to cover all the bases.

High-level Play
    At about level 9 the Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 game changes significantly in that it assumes Team Antagonist has questions and that Team Protagonist has answers. Some of Team ...
  4. 4e D&D Alignment: an Interpretation for My Game

by , 06-20-2013 at 06:03 AM (The Dungeon Master's Journal of the Unquiet Lands)
    For literally years, I have felt the need to put together a cogent piece on the role of alignments in my execution of the game. In part, this is because I have not seen some of my constructions of the topic expressed before in rules, articles, or discussion. What follows is how I have long viewed alignments, but never previously found a way to state in an organized fashion.

My interpretation of alignments is thus:
    • Alignments represent a contract between the player and
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The Year

The campaign began on June 13, 2012. Itís still going today, June 19, 2013, and I expect gamers here in 2 hours. I should be preparing for this evening, but Iím writing this because I want you to play.

In the campaign itís only August 23, barely 2 months after the PCs started adventuring, but the PCs are, for the most part, level 11. Straining credulity? Indeed we are, and with a fine-mesh sieve, my friend. I havenít figured out how other DMs justify long passages of time within their ...