Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Rules as Interfaces Redux

by , 01-09-2014 at 01:28 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    Yesterday I babbled about viewing RPG rules as an interface between players and GMs, similar to a GUI or API in computer programs. In this view, the game rules, like GUIs or APIs, are most useful when they avoid unnecessary clutter and complexity.

One other interesting consequence of this analogy is that, like interfaces, rules have to be stable in order to be useful. This applies both to official versions of the rules and house rules.

For example, in every version ...
    Categories
    Abstract Musings
  2. Rules as Interfaces

by , 01-08-2014 at 08:38 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    Reading Numernera and a few other rule sets reminded me of a (not terribly original) idea that popped in my head ages ago: rules are the interface between players and GM.

By "interface" I'm thinking of programming interfaces in object-oriented design, but the analogy works just as well with Advanced Programming Interfaces (APIs) in applications like Excel, Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) in any window-keyboard-mouse desktop application, a Web site's interface of forms and ...

Updated 01-09-2014 at 01:29 PM by fmitchell

Categories
    Abstract Musings
  3. Looking for players for a Dark Nova game

I'm going to start a Dark Nova game in the San Antonio area either Dragon's Lair or Gamerz Pairadice, depends on where the players are really. Dark Nova is a futuristic space flight fantasy game that takes place about 350 years in the future. Humanity has expanded, colonized, terraformed planets to habitat. Encountering a number or different races all unique with their own advantages and flaws. A variety of technologies, ships, and weapons to explore the galaxy with, fight for your lives and make ...
  4. Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space: Games of Chance

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

(After playing Matt’s Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space scenario “Games of Chance” by James DiBenedetto on Sunday, March 24, 2013, at CaesarCon with Steve, Adam, and Trevor)

The 10th Doctor had been travelling with Mickey Smith, Sgt. Major Phillip Wingate of UNIT, and a scientist who called himself Dr. Magus Johnson from the 21st Century for several days. They were suddenly disturbed by an alarm sounding from the control console. ...

Updated 03-11-2014 at 10:06 AM by Max_Writer

Tags: doctor who Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Campaign Logs
  5. Rifts Anyone?

Looking to run an online game of rifts. I won't be able to start one right away, but looking for Feb. I haven't played in a long long time so would be a bit rusty, and I tend to make my world up as I go, loosely based of the books, BUT if you are interested let me know. Email me chocolatierdean@gmail.com I am not on pen and paper much, trying to get change that
    Tags: rifts Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized