Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. D&D Word History--Dweomer

The Spell that Wasn't: Dweomer

One of the most curious words in the entire corpus of Dungeons and Dragons books
    is dweomer, which is defined in the 1st edition Advanced D&D Dungeon Master's
    Guide (1979, p. 228) as follows: "From dweomercraeft, the art (craeft) of magic
    (dweomer)" . Fair enough, but then whence dweomercraeft? Turns out it is a real,
    if obscure, word used in Middle English (and presumably in Old English). (As a
    side note, I ...
    Tags: d&d, word history Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Another Year, Another Move

It was little more than one year ago that I last moved. I hated it then. Color me surprised to find I still hate the process.

And now, here I am, mostly settled into a new apartment with new (read: old) roommates - my dad and his wife. It's been over ten years since I last lived with the man, and I've changed a fair amount since then. He's changed a bit, too, though I'm predicting lots more quality time with my laptop than with my kin, heh.

I'm very appreciative of his ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Week 5 - Die another day

This week in Encounters I faced a somewhat ominous problem, low health and no surges. When I showed up I found we faced another problem, no DM. Our regularly scheduled DM Chris was out sick. The folks at the store went into scramble mode and asked a player to be the DM instead. Props to Tim for his can do attitude and willingness to DM on the fly. He frantically read through the adventure and borrowed some gear to pull off this week's encounter. So there we were ready to go, party of four, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Dawn of the Jedi Champaign

The Jedi weren't always a pure philiosophical group dedicated to the balance of the force. When they first started getting organized on the galactic level, they were simply a group of force users trying to expand their knowledge of the force.

In a few centuries, the jedi masters in the jedi council will implement restrictions based on what they have learned. Everything that leads to the dark side has simply not yet been figured out. All masters and padawans really know is to try ...
  5. Week 4 - When knowing the secret handshake goes horribly awry.

We last left our hero, Jarvix, cradling a hard earned survival fruit. I knew this would be a tough week. I was at my bloodied value and out of healing surges. I knew that without some form of rest I would be not too helpful. Well to spoil the ending, I rolled a d20 exactly 6 times this week. Half of those were death saves, which all failed culminating in an inspiring '1' on the last one. Throw in another wonderfully perception observation that the Athasian desert is hot, one really good initiative ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized