Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

D&D

Commentary on the Dungeons & Dragons gaming system.

1. Sembian Merchant in Suzail (Part 1)

Some time ago I had my first attempt at DMing in the 4th Edition Forgotten Realms setting. I hadn't read through all of the lore, but in skimming over the details of the locations I latched onto the Netheril/Shadowvar occupation of Sembia. It sounded like a fun place to start an adventure. Flipping through a bunch of modules for quest hook ideas I put together a fairly decent story for my players to go through.

As I was typing up the story in case I wanted to reuse it later, ...
    Categories
    D&D
  2. Module Review: Scepter Tower of Spellgard

So I thought it might be fun to post reviews of the various modules Iíve made use of recently. Perhaps itíll be useful to someone else to know about it before using it themselves, but more likely itíll serve as a reminder when Iím looking over titles for something to use next in my own campaigns.

These will all be modules that Iíve used as a DM, Iím not about to rate the experience from a player since far too much of the detail might not be used because of the choices the players ...
    Categories
    D&D
  3. Session preparation and quest hooks

A while back I discussed some concepts for creating adventures. These adventures are fairly short, I would equate them to a module in terms of game content. Which means, that it leaves you with some additional space in your campaign to fill up. Thereís nothing wrong with creating bunches and bunches of adventure modules for the players to go through. The next real problem I faced was getting them to go there.

Its easy enough to just have whoever they are working for send them ...
    Categories
    D&D
  4. Designing Skill challenges

Previously I rambled on about the ways in which I use skill challenges, and a bit about what lead me to that opinion. Iím still not done wasting time going on and on about these challenges. Having them lumped in with combat means that careful design of the challenges is key. Just like you canít randomly grab monsters and drop them on the battlemat and expect the encounter to be any good, you canít just toss in a skill challenge and expect it to work well.

Obviously the first thing ...
    Categories
    D&D
  5. Skill Challenges

In the D&D 4E games Iíve been running Iíve been trying to make use of Skill Challenges periodically. Reading about them I really love the way that game mechanic feels, since it gives you a direct way to engage the players with a purely role play scenario. The trouble is that thus far I havenít had much success incorporating them into the game sessions. I know thereís been a ton of stuff written about them already; but none of it was said by me, which I think means that still more needs to ...
    Categories
    D&D
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast