Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Blog Comments

To this day I still get chlls when prepping for a game. Good luck to the players. I am sure they will need it!

Windstar
    Well played, alot of players underestimate Strahd, I found even when players were playing it for the 2nd or even third time they still made mistakes due to not respecting Strahd's power. Keep the post coming.

Windstar
    Lol sure. Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I play guitar usually.
    I will send your greetings to the group Thoth buddy I'll post about it later so you aren't going to miss a thing.

To Korhal23: does it count if you stack dice (runes..lol) to clear your mind?

TIMESTAMP: 20 more minutes till gametime! *gathers stuff and heads out the door* Good Gaming to all you Weekend Players and DM's!
    If I'm the GM i usually review my notes and maps and whatnot for a while, read up on mechanics I'm still shaky on.
    If I'm a player I usually just try to clear my mind. I like to play really crunchy games like 4E or Aces and Eights so having other things on your mind can lead to being distracted and missing all of your bonuses and penalties and slowing the game down for everyone.

As for what I look forward to, I look forward to doing new stuff, seeing new things in game, and seeing how the group comes out on top (or doesn't.)
    Same as you, Tamerath. Dealing with the anticipation for the gaming event. Wish i was down there this weekend for i would love to join in. Ah well, say hello to Jermaine for me.

Thoth
    Good advice, thank you
    So are the players in a hurry to rescue Ireena?

Technically she will escape Strahad somehow (suicide?) in case the PCs don't rescue here, I assume.

I remember one tool for the DM is to introduce "Cut Scenes", where you show what is happening in a different room, just to give the PCs a sense of urgency.
    Updated 05-28-2009 at 06:25 PM by Dimthar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimthar
    Did the swordmage rolled "History" to be able to make his remarks in regards to "Sergei and Tatyana"?

Is there a "reincarnation" of Tatyana in the Module?
    Yes on both accounts...but not during this encounter. Before this we have to rewind a bit. During their adventures outside the castle the PC's met with Ireena Kolyana (burgomaster's daughter which has been visited by Strahd already 2 times and if he meets up with her again then she will be completely under his thrall...as the original module Expedition to Castle Ravenloft)...she went with some of the pc's to Lysaga Hill to assault the witches there that were trying to bring in a powerful demon to unseat Strahd. In play, the PC's got to the witches AS they were just finishing up the ritual and summoned the demon into the world. As the PC's faced one of the three hags, a couple of remaining witches and a guardian, as well as the Demon itself...they were outmatched...Ireena was hurt pretty badly and Strahd (who was spying on their progress the whole time) couldn't stand to lose her again...so HE settled things himself, fighting the wounded demon along with the PC's....he was hurt himself in this encounter...he then turned on the PC's to drain them of some blood to replenish his own health...which freaked out the PC's...they ran...Strahd killed the demon, saved Ireena and flew away with her back to the castle.....whew *gasps for some air*

lol The second part of your question (actually your first part)...The Swordmage didn't show for one game night...so to make up the experience gap as well as some story gaps...she went on a solo adventure where she found out a little more about Strahd through Madame Eva, as well well as the werewolves of the Svalich Woods. She passed her History checks during this part, passed a couple of Skill Challenges as well to find out a little more about the history of the Land and Strahd, and increase her relationship to the Vistani and Madame Eva....and failed some other skill challenges that would have gained her a bit more information that will put the rest of the party at a disadvantage until just a little further in the story when pieces of some of this puzzle will be put together.

At the point of the adventure where they were having dinner with Strahd...they started asking about Ireena, her whereabouts, etc....and Strahd was quickly losing his patience with them (because he's focused on HER and possessing her fully) and when they started hurling insults his way and mentioned Sergei and Tatyana then his fury overtook him and provoked the combat encounter

Such a long winded reply, sorry about that. I just enjoy this campaign A LOT
    Did the swordmage rolled "History" to be able to make his remarks in regards to "Sergei and Tatyana"?

Is there a "reincarnation" of Tatyana in the Module?
    Quote Originally Posted by Otakar
    Very cool! When Strahd turns to mist do you call that "insubstantial" and let the character's attacks do half dammage? Just curious.
    Yes when Strahd assumes his mist form he does gain the insubstantial trait, which then causes all damage done to him to be halved. Good Question, I think he was hit once after he had assumed mist form but then made a swift exit after that.
    Updated 05-28-2009 at 02:02 PM by Tamerath
    Very cool! When Strahd turns to mist do you call that "insubstantial" and let the character's attacks do half dammage? Just curious.
    Updated 05-28-2009 at 02:01 PM by Tamerath (No change...just meant to hit the reply button instead. Sorry about that.)
    lol, I'm glad you liked it! You're more than welcome that anytime you find yourself out this way to join in on our game.
    Very cool, I've never wanted to get into the mire of YouTube for D&D stuff but I may have to reconsider. I might have to move back to that other state known as SoCal just to join your game!
    Very cool start! I once purchased the Ravenloft box set back in the day but never had a chance to play it. I read it all and thought it was a great campaign but could not convince my friends to play it. Now I'll be able to enjoy it through your telling
    thanks all for the great response, oh and before I forget they are 10th level
    Now that I remember, it looks by the last "Domains of Dread" described by 4E that at some point Ravenloft is going to be located in the Shadowfell.

Congrats! Great start ...

Perhaps you already mentioned (although I don't seem to find it), What level are the PCs?
    Updated 05-20-2009 at 08:06 PM by Dimthar
    Excellent start, am looking forward to reading more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimthar
    Quote: " ..an Elven Avenger, who was lead by his god Correllon to fight a great evil here in these nightmarish lands... "

Deniaaal!! Sacrificed, Abandoned, Forsaken by Corellon IMHO.

I see there is a 'Van Richten' in the party, perhaps related to the good old Doctor?

3 Elfs and a Shadarkai, remind me, Was there any "Racist" attitude in Barovia? Did you role-play any scenes at the village?
    The Avenger told me his story and I immediately thought to myself "You sure it was your god leading you there?"

As for the Shadar-kai...they are native to the shadowfell...and there are some villagers that are shadar-kai...as well as the Shadar-kai in the party is actually a native of Barovia. There are native elves as well (as well as the werewolf tribes in the Slavich Woods take on an elven appearance...and I've roleplayed that with both the Shadar-kai and the Ranger..tying in their stories to the lands. As for the Avenger...well..he just made his character at the table and I wasn't going to go through a big roleplay session when my group has been salivating over entering the castle...it'd slow the game down really. Besides...this Ravenloft campaign isn't ending with Expedition to Castle Ravenloft...it's continuing past that...so more opportunity to tie in backgrounds and the like in the future.

Yes the Van Richten in our game is tied to the story of Rudolph Van Richten...which he came up with a really cool concept...and in play...I can see him actually surviving the castle...
    Updated 05-19-2009 at 06:40 PM by Tamerath
    Quote: " ..an Elven Avenger, who was lead by his god Correllon to fight a great evil here in these nightmarish lands... "

Deniaaal!! Sacrificed, Abandoned, Forsaken by Corellon IMHO.

I see there is a 'Van Richten' in the party, perhaps related to the good old Doctor?

3 Elfs and a Shadarkai, remind me, Was there any "Racist" attitude in Barovia? Did you role-play any scenes at the village?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast