Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Reviews

This category is for reviews of roleplaying game related products.

1. A Questionable Review of The Strange Bestiary

by , 11-24-2014 at 03:54 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Luis Borges
    These ambiguities, redundancies and deficiencies remind us of those which doctor Franz Kuhn attributes to a certain Chinese encyclopaedia entitled 'Celestial Empire of Benevolent Knowledge'. In its remote pages it is written that the animals are divided into: (a) belonging to the emperor, (b) embalmed, (c) tame, (d) sucking pigs, (e) sirens, (f) fabulous, (g) stray dogs, (h) included in the present classification, (i) frenzied, (j) innumerable, (k) drawn with a very fine camelhair brush, (l) et

Updated 11-24-2014 at 04:33 PM by fmitchell

Tags: the strange Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Reviews
  2. Numenera Stream-of-Consciousness Quasi-Review

by , 12-28-2013 at 12:10 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    So far I've read the Player's Guide and skipped through the core book. I'm not sure whether I like Numenera or not.

The central mechanics are pretty cool:

• The system requires only three dice: a d20, a d6, and a d100. (OK, a d100 is two dice unless one is brave/stupid enough to use a Zocchihedron.)
    • Every challenge -- from combat to a steep climb to a seduction -- has a Rating from 0 to 10. 0 is trivial, an automatic success; 10 is nigh-impossible. To beat
    Categories
    Reviews
  3. Another "Comparative Character Generation" essay; Two to go.

by , 02-02-2010 at 10:24 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    I've written another in the Comparative Character Generation series. I'm only going to do two more, since a) I've examined most of the systems I'm likely to find players for, as far as I know, and b) my real problem isn't the system I run.

So if anyone wants to see something besides PDQ, PDQ Sharp, FATE, Fudge, GURPS, BRP, MRQ, MRQ2, WFRP2, WFRP3, Unisystem, Barbarians of Lemuria, NWoD, Savage Worlds, Risus, or several variations on d20 ... speak now.

Updated 09-16-2010 at 08:16 AM by fmitchell

Categories
    Comparative Character Generation , Reviews
  4. D&D, Warhammer, and Traveller

by , 05-13-2009 at 11:51 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    Another installment in my continuing attempts to decide on another game to run. This time, I consider True20, Warhammer and Traveller, as well as various forms of D&D: E6, generic classes, and retro-clones.

Updated 09-16-2010 at 08:16 AM by fmitchell

Categories
  5. Musings on running a D&D campaign

by , 04-11-2009 at 08:32 AM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    I've posted some musings on possibly running a D&D campaign on my website.

Part of a really slow series: Part 1 and Part 2

Updated 09-16-2010 at 08:17 AM by fmitchell

Categories