Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Abstract Musings

Assorted ideas about games.

1. A Space Opera Recursion for The Strange

by , 11-14-2014 at 04:30 AM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    Recently I've been playing The Strange with a reasonably stable group. Yesterday I had an idea for a space-opera style recursion (parallel world for the rest of the gaming world), and having nobody else to tell I'm telling you. Don't you feel special?

The problem with wedging an entire galaxy, or even a solar system, into one of the Strange's recursions is that recursions are supposed to be small, much smaller than Earth, so that the GM isn't madly mapping planets for every adventure. ...

Updated 11-14-2014 at 04:35 AM by fmitchell

Tags: seed Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Abstract Musings
  2. Another Weird Idea: Sixgun and Planet

by , 05-26-2014 at 12:29 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    For those of you who don't know what "sword and planet" is, it's science fiction in which our lone Earthling hero is thrown onto an alien planet with generally low technology and must fight to survive. Examples include Edgar Rice Burroughs's Barsoom series (A Princess on Mars, etc.) and some of Jack Vance's work (particularly the Planet of Adventure series). The excuse for swords being the weapon of choice varies from decaying cultures to alien oppressors.

Recently I've ...

Updated 05-26-2014 at 12:50 PM by fmitchell

Tags: seed Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Abstract Musings
  3. "Always Chaotic Evil" Considered Stupid

by , 01-26-2014 at 02:10 AM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    (Originally posted on Google+, for some inexplicable reason.)

Just to toss out a topic (or possibly sweaty dynamite) ... what's the general opinion on "evil races" in games? By which I mean entire intelligent species whose sole purpose is essentially to kill/enslave/annoy humans.

As one might gather, I'm not a fan. My first problem is that real-world societies have attributed two-dimensional malice to their enemies far too often, with tragic results, and ...
    Tags: evil races Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Abstract Musings
  4. Rules as Interfaces Redux

by , 01-09-2014 at 01:28 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    Yesterday I babbled about viewing RPG rules as an interface between players and GMs, similar to a GUI or API in computer programs. In this view, the game rules, like GUIs or APIs, are most useful when they avoid unnecessary clutter and complexity.

One other interesting consequence of this analogy is that, like interfaces, rules have to be stable in order to be useful. This applies both to official versions of the rules and house rules.

For example, in every version ...
    Categories
    Abstract Musings
  5. Rules as Interfaces

by , 01-08-2014 at 08:38 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    Reading Numernera and a few other rule sets reminded me of a (not terribly original) idea that popped in my head ages ago: rules are the interface between players and GM.

By "interface" I'm thinking of programming interfaces in object-oriented design, but the analogy works just as well with Advanced Programming Interfaces (APIs) in applications like Excel, Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) in any window-keyboard-mouse desktop application, a Web site's interface of forms and ...

Updated 01-09-2014 at 01:29 PM by fmitchell

Categories
    Abstract Musings
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast