Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.

The continuing saga of a wannabe GM who can't get a game started ...

1. Alignment Heresy and A Reformation: Introduction

by , 04-07-2012 at 07:48 AM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    D&D's various alignment systems provoke a lot of discussion, partly because they have multiple interpretations and multiple purposes. To quickly review changes across editions:

Original D&D and Basic D&D had only three alignments: Law, Neutrality, and Chaos. (One version of Basic, I forget which, added "Good" and "Evil". Not Lawful Good or Chaotic Good, just "Good".) Essentially it represented which "side" a character was on ...

Updated 04-29-2012 at 09:14 PM by fmitchell

Tags: alignment, theory Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Abstract Musings
  2. WHAT is THAT?

by , 01-26-2012 at 07:42 AM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    "What is that THING you're using as an avatar now?"

Silly question.

It's one of these:

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. My house, my rules ...

by , 01-19-2012 at 03:51 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    Participating in Jim Raggi's forum about his new game brought up some other random game design thoughts. Here is as good a place as any.

FATE

Dispense with fixed stunts. Instead, I'd adopt a house rule (which I can't find a reference for now) that allowed players to "lock" an aspect to behave like a stunt: substitute one skill for another, grant a "permanent" circumstance bonus, a new function for an existing skill, etc.

Add experience ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. A brief Jubal Early interlude

by , 01-12-2012 at 11:19 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    Novels and games always show wise graceful elves and grim greedy dwarfs. Does that seem right to you?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Uncounted Worlds, part 3: Other Modes of Travel

by , 10-21-2011 at 02:53 AM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    Many worlds believe theirs is the only timeline. Even "time travelers" believe in only one real timeline; the others cease to exist when the past changes. Previous timelines become inaccessible through linear time travel, so nothing in their science disproves their theory.

Sufficiently advanced travelers have means beyond these simple "time machines". World Jumpers can identify a parallel time line in infinite-dimensional space and "jump" to it directly. ...

Updated 04-29-2012 at 09:16 PM by fmitchell

Categories
    Abstract Musings
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast