Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
View RSS Feed

Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.

The continuing saga of a wannabe GM who can't get a game started ...

1. Numenera Stream-of-Consciousness Quasi-Review

by , 12-28-2013 at 12:10 PM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    So far I've read the Player's Guide and skipped through the core book. I'm not sure whether I like Numenera or not.

The central mechanics are pretty cool:

• The system requires only three dice: a d20, a d6, and a d100. (OK, a d100 is two dice unless one is brave/stupid enough to use a Zocchihedron.)
    • Every challenge -- from combat to a steep climb to a seduction -- has a Rating from 0 to 10. 0 is trivial, an automatic success; 10 is nigh-impossible. To beat
    Categories
    Reviews
  2. Maybe running a game ... (part 2)

by , 11-03-2012 at 11:40 AM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    We ended up creating characters for Tunnels & Trolls, and I ran them through The Dungeon of the Rat, a new-ish GM adventure from RPGNow.

Then real life intervened. We've met twice in as many months, both times to run Dragon Age. It's an interesting system and an interesting world, but I'm not sure whether we'll return to T&T, do DA instead, or what. (Including just drift our separate ways.)

That got me thinking about another campaign I'd like to get started, ...
  3. Maybe running a game ...

by , 06-14-2012 at 09:18 AM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    The GM of my current group wants to take a break, so I've volunteered to run something. Of the five billion options I presented, these seem to be the most popular:

1. Eldritch Skies, which I reviewed incompetently on RPG.net a couple of weeks ago.
    2. RuneQuest (Mongoose Legend, possibly upgrading to RQ6 when it comes out), setting either Elric of Melnibone or Pavis in Glorantha. (Although I've yet to read Age of Treason, and perversely I'm itching to try something Malkioni.)
    Categories
    Campaign Logs
  4. Alignment Heresy and A Reformation: Alternate Alignments

by , 04-07-2012 at 08:08 AM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    Law and Chaos might have no relevance in some campaigns. DMs may decide to forego alignments completely, or create an alternate system. A new system should include a Neutral or Unaligned option, and at least one active alignment.

Monopolar alignments contrast with Unaligned, but have no true opposite. Spells detect merely its presence or absence. Examples in gaming include Shadow from Midnight and Chaos from Warhammer. One could also make this force positive, like Gnosis, a knowledge ...

Updated 04-29-2012 at 09:13 PM by fmitchell

Tags: alignment, theory Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Abstract Musings
  5. Alignment Heresy and A Reformation: Shades of Neutrality

by , 04-07-2012 at 07:58 AM (Inside lives a goblin that feeds on indecision.)
    In Moorcock's writing the Cosmic Balance is a force unto itself, albeit less forceful than Chaos or Law. Agents of the Balance battle Chaos's attempts to dominate worlds. (Law, apparently, is too lawful to violate the Balance, which doesn't ring true to me.) AD&D had a similar concept in True Neutral, a notably tenet of Druids. Unlike regular neutrals, who for the most part don't care about things that don't affect them, True Neutrals are neutrality extremists, intent on correcting any tilt ...

Updated 04-29-2012 at 09:13 PM by fmitchell

Tags: alignment, theory Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Abstract Musings
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast