Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Blog Comments

It's reading things like this that makes me feel good to be able to read such things and how much important gaming can be for people beyond gaming. Dave is the type of person I know I would have treasured as well and I thank you for taking the time to share this event with us fellow gamers. You continue to do good for us all with such actions and someone else may get something more from your writings then you could ever realized. I know gaming helped me have a better life instead of a life that would have been very negative. Thanks again
    The best thing about this story is how this shy, reclusive person started to improve due to gaming. It's always good to see positive stuff about gaming. This sounds like someone I would love to have at my table.
    He will be sorely missed, certainly. I'm glad so many of us were able to attend the service, and my group was very happy to meet yours. Obviously, we would have liked to meet you under better circumstances... but all the same, it was good to here some of your group's memories of him.

Quote Originally Posted by craigjwjr
    Dave was in our Saturday group.
    I know I can speak for all of us when I say his quietly friendly manner, outside the box thinking, and generosity will be sorely missed.
    He was quite simply one of the sweetest human beings I've ever had the pleasure of knowing; I only wish I could have known him longer.
    Lazarus, the game group is greatful for your words. They have come to know the P&PG chat crowd through hearing about you from me, and know you're someone I regularly talk with. Thank you for your well-wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus
    I never met Dave either, but I do know Dalkiel from the chat forum and found out about his friend at the same time he did. Losing a friend so unexpectedly is always hard and it never gets easier with time when it happens. However, on learning of the happiness gaming brought to Dave during his last months, you should take pride in knowing you made someone's life better which is no small accomplishment. I mourn your loss Dalkiel and wish you the best as you and your group move on as you know Dave would want you to do.
    Thank you for the kind words. I'm a bit behind on replies, but I do appreciate the words and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Blond Gamer Girl
    Sorry for your loss but always remember the good times you had and the joy you brought to his life.
    Thank you for your thoughts. He was truly a treasure, and the world is poorer without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Caladrel
    I know we dont know each other personally, and I didnt have the honor of knowing Dave either.

But I can really sympathize with you on this. You were a great bunch of friends for him and I'm truelly sorry for your and the families loss. My heart goes out to you all.
    Dave was in our Saturday group.
    I know I can speak for all of us when I say his quietly friendly manner, outside the box thinking, and generosity will be sorely missed.
    He was quite simply one of the sweetest human beings I've ever had the pleasure of knowing; I only wish I could have known him longer.
    I am part of Dalkiel's gaming group (i've gamed with him for over 6 years) and I got to know Dave for a little over 10 months and I can only say this about him.
    He was intelligent, funny, smart, creative, crafty, charming, witty, whimsical and Sharp. But most of all he was Dave, one of the best gamers I ever played with and more importantly then that, Dave was a genuine person who comes around only once in a lifetime. If it was from his teaching you something (by making you work it out on your own with his help), by his cooking (the fact that he made his own marshmallows should say it all), his out of the box strategies (we need to cross the quick sand pit....throw the quarterling) or his caring nature (always willing to bring snacks, sodas, books or games to game), he could always make you smile and more importantly then that, he made the world a brighter place by being in it. He will be missed by all of us at the friday/sunday game and we are better for knowing him.
    I never met Dave either, but I do know Dalkiel from the chat forum and found out about his friend at the same time he did. Losing a friend so unexpectedly is always hard and it never gets easier with time when it happens. However, on learning of the happiness gaming brought to Dave during his last months, you should take pride in knowing you made someone's life better which is no small accomplishment. I mourn your loss Dalkiel and wish you the best as you and your group move on as you know Dave would want you to do.
    Sorry for your loss but always remember the good times you had and the joy you brought to his life.
    I know we dont know each other personally, and I didnt have the honor of knowing Dave either.

But I can really sympathize with you on this. You were a great bunch of friends for him and I'm truelly sorry for your and the families loss. My heart goes out to you all.
    Interesting post!

I'd have to say that I'm guilty of black listing 2 systems -- to remain nameless -- due to extremely bad experiences, and anything that mainlines playing a vampire -- sorry just not my cup of tea, I prefer to kill them

Other than that, I'm open to try most anything else.

I'm currently really liking the more story driven RPGs, such as "Risus: The Anything RPG" and FATE based games like Dresden Files -- they seem to allow for everyone to explore and be creative, in ways most other games just can't cope for, without heavy modding.

Although, that's not to say a nice, old fashioned, AD&D adventure still doesn't get the blood going

For me it all boils down to the storyline and the people I'm playing with. The system only really matters when there is something that needs mediation or resolution (normally combat -- in whatever form) or a random element that isn't handled well by just roleplaying through it.
    Very well put...I have found that as well. For me as a player, I'm not married to any particular ed or game but I do have my faves. My order of preference: 1. Logistics - Too far away or on dates/times/frequency that I can't play = no dice. In with that should be reliability which is foremost in a way2. Style: Fun (one group never laughed in char = huh...) Low combat, thinking ratio, in char play, all over mood 3. Game mechanics/system is last because to me you can take a super hero plot and put it into any super-hero system with some tweaking so why get hung up on rules.

That being said with most any system, I usually end up with 10 house rules that go against the book based on RL experience/knowledge of guns/swords/athletics or whatnot that I clearly outline before we start.

I've seen so many folks complain that they can't find a game who are like you describe - too nitpicky and wonder why they can't find a game. To those folks, I say look within.