PDA

View Full Version : Basic and Expert downloads

Kaewin
04-17-2009, 08:47 AM
I've wandered all over the net looking for downloads for these two settings and all I can find is a site with pictures of the covers. I have bought a couple of things of Amazon and Ebay but alot is expensive and I would like to have an idea how useful somthing is going to be before I spend 20 dollars or more on it. If I find something I like I will buy the hard copy becuase I like the feel of paper between my fingers (new Dragon format makes me crazy).

Any help would be great.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-17-2009, 10:02 AM
This site may have it, and if not, they may have a link to what youre looking for: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/

Etarnon
04-17-2009, 11:46 AM
they can be gotten from Ebay for about 5.00 plus shipping, most weeks.

Kaewin
04-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Depends on what you are looking for, right now I am looking at the Gazetteers and they start at $20s and jump up real quick. Also at 5 bucks a module trying to get a good one is expensive. I have bought the Grand Duchy (its on it way0 and I have two more I am going to buy on monday but for the ones over 25$ I would like a bit of info. The Orcs of Thar goes for over $130

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Yes, they can be expensive. There was a module i had an opportunity to own some 25 years ago called something like The Vampire Queen. I see it come on Ebay about once a year for a minimum of $900.00. Thats minimum. I think the going rate is $1200-1600 bucks now-a-days. I'm a collector of old classics, but this one is out of my price range.

Best of luck in your search, Kaewin.

agoraderek
04-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Any downloads you find, unless they're 3pp material, will be illegal. There are NO legal downloads for any D&D stuff now, since WotC stopped the sale of D&D pdfs. Hardcopy is the only legal way to go now.

Grimwell
04-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Aye, piracy be a bad thing and puts a dark spot on ye soul. Beware the paths of those who take what should be paid fer!

agoraderek
04-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Aye, piracy be a bad thing and puts a dark spot on ye soul. Beware the paths of those who take what should be paid fer!

No kidding. In spite of WotC making a ridiculously short sighted business decision regarding OOP materials, pirating files is still wrong.

On the hardcopy front though, Noble Knight games and the Hit Pointe have good selections, and are pretty accurate as to the condition of their used stock. eBay can be a bargain if the bidding is light (I picked up a copy of the Rokugan CS for $2 there when no one else placed a bid).

Also, a lot of FLGS will have used bins, or you could try a place like half-priced books (or whatever serves the same function in your neck of the woods). I've also found stuff on Craigslist and Freecycle, so there are plenty of legal avenues to aquire old school gaming stuff.

Kaewin
04-18-2009, 07:32 AM
I don't need a full down load but more of a good highlight. Something with a bit of the synopsis so to speak. I understand the Gazetteers have new rules, I just would like to know what. I know a guy who dl's what ever he can get and he doesn't understand why I buy the stuff instead. If someone made them they deserve the cash the deserve for it. My daughter, Katbutt, got a mp3 player for her birthday and the only songs she can have are the ones off of cds we have or what I can buy of amazon.

Can anyone tell me if the Dwarves of Rockhome and the Fiver Shires are good buys? What type of content does it have. I found this onsite that has good info about modules, he has almost nothing about the Gazetteers.

Grimwell
04-18-2009, 12:59 PM
You should be able to find reviews of each Gazetteer on the web with a little searching.

mrken
04-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey Thon, thanks for the link. It looks very interesting.

Kaewin
04-19-2009, 08:58 AM
I've done alot of searching, sat on google for 2 hrs wendsday

Grimwell
04-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Often, it's turning the right search phrase (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1GGLS_enUS291US304&ei=aEbrSfXOGoiQtAOK8oX2AQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=list+of+D%26D+gazetteer&spell=1) that yields results.

This page (http://www.waynesbooks.com/Gazetteer.html) has a complete product listing of the Gazetteers. If you follow the Amazon links, most of them have reviews beyond the product info. The combination should let you know enough about each one to decide their value!

Kaewin
04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks Grimwell that was exactly what I was looking for. I apprecate the effort.

Grimwell
04-21-2009, 12:39 AM
You are more than welcome. :D

Kaewin
04-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Grimwell, I love your Captain Avatar. I loved that show when I was younger. I went to a convention in 87 and saw a diffrent ending for the second one with the comet empire.

Grimwell
04-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Ooh! I have those on 'watch now' on Netflix and was just wondering what I'm going to do for the rest of the night..... WIN :)

Kaewin
04-24-2009, 11:36 AM
It was in Japanese so I had to read the subtitles