PDA

View Full Version : quick, easy, tasty, cheap lunch

yukonhorror
04-15-2009, 11:36 AM
As I sit here eating my soup for lunch, I was wondering if people have good ideas for something that is quick to make, is cheap, relatively tasty, and is enough to satisfy a lunch-size appetite?

Eating out is not an option. I am trying to find a way to break up my lunch routine.

It is pretty much salad, lunch with wife, healthy choice soup, ramen, sandwich of sorts, wash, rinse repeat. :washing:

I have access to a small fridge and a microwave, but that's it.

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Make yourself some pocket pies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v89r04FsdpY). Very tasty and can be made ahead easily.

kirksmithicus
04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Personally I usually just eat left over's from dinner the night before. Occasionally I do like to have some homemade pizza because regular pizza is not really on my diet anymore. I don't know if it would qualify as cheap enough, but it is relatively easy to make. Before becoming diabetic I was a big fan of cheap micro-wave burritos with chips and salsa.

The pizza is pretty easy to make.

Pita bread, a couple of spoonfuls of pizza / spaghetti sauce / tomato sauce (plus maybe a little Italian seasoning) spread on the pita. Then just add vegetables, meat and cheese. Bake at 420 for 12 minutes.

Usually the only two things that I buy specifically for pizza is the pita bread and cheese. Though sometimes I buy some pepperoni, which is usually about 3-4 bucks but lasts for a long time if you don't go overboard with them. The pita bread and cheese costs about 4.00 and is usually enough to make 6 pizza's, or 3 lunches for me. As for the vegetables and other toppings I just keep a zip lock bag to put a small amount of things in from when I make other meals, then use those to make the pizza with. I also use a lot of left-over chicken and sometimes meatloaf etc.

cplmac
04-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Take an english muffin (store brands are cheaper than the brand names) and put a little butter or margarine on each half. Next place a slice of cheese on it. Optional (but I liked it), sprikle a little garlic powder on it. Heat them on a plate in a microwave for about 30 to 45 seconds, depending on wattage. Made for a quick breakfast too.

Freejack
04-15-2009, 07:25 PM
PB&J.

I leave the PB and J at work in the fridge and bring a couple of slices of bread each day along with a banana and a handful of nuts.

I use the microwave to warm up the PB and make my sandwich.

My wife was making my sandwich at home but by the time I got to it it was a soggy mushy mess. This is so much better.

:)

Carl

GoddessGood
04-16-2009, 07:55 AM
This guy at my work does this every day. He has a packet of fresh veg (usually brocoli), a pasta of some sort (rice or spaghetti most of the time) and a piece of meat he pre-cooked on sunday. He slaps the whole thing in the microwave and eats that for lunch every day. Figure if you buy a large enough pork loin or maybe cook up a meatloaf, that might feed you for a few days.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Totinos pepperoni pizza's. A buck a pizza cant be beat.

Kaewin
04-17-2009, 08:56 AM
make some jello the night before with a little bit of fruit in it. Or get a little chicken breast, cut it up and bread crumb it cook for a few minutres and make your own nuggets.

Or just go to McDonalds and get a couple McDoubles and bring one into work with you.

But the other two ideas taste better.

GoddessGood
04-17-2009, 09:10 AM
[quote=Kaewin;70685]make some jello the night before with a little bit of fruit in it.[quote]

A friend of mine calls this "cancer jello." :) Not that there's anything wrong with it, just thought I'd share.

Kaewin
04-17-2009, 09:45 AM
We thats a great image for Thanksgiving dinner "Everyone leave room for a good bit of cancer jello!"

GoddessGood
04-17-2009, 09:59 AM
We thats a great image for Thanksgiving dinner "Everyone leave room for a good bit of cancer jello!"
If you're referring to the traditional green jello mold that most WASPs have around that time of year, my mom has another name for it ... but it's not good to say in polite company.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Never heard the term "cancer jello" before.

mrken
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
My favorite lunch when I remember or don't have a few leftovers in the fridge is a sandwich. Please don't mistake a slice of lunch meat between two slices of white bread. Nooooooo. One must use whole grain bread of some sort, veggies and meat. I also like to spread some stone ground mustard on the bread and a slice or two of cheese. Nothing like lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onion sprouts, what have you, on top of a sandwich you just made. But I find myself eating left overs more and more lately. Or forgetting to eat. Two meals a day is plenty for me.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Another lunch i've been enjoying lately is yam fries. Basically, you chop yams up in the shape of french fries and bake them in the oven. Completely healthy and mmmm good.

When i was a kid, it was always leftovers, sandwiches, rice, and/or pot pies.

Dimthar
04-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Maruchan Instant Lunch "Spicy Hot Beef"

GoddessGood
04-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Edit: Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread.

nijineko
04-17-2009, 08:20 PM
make some jello the night before with a little bit of fruit in it. Or get a little chicken breast, cut it up and bread crumb it cook for a few minutres and make your own nuggets.

Or just go to McDonalds and get a couple McDoubles and bring one into work with you.

But the other two ideas taste better.

make some jello the night before with a little bit of fruit in it.

A friend of mine calls this "cancer jello." :) Not that there's anything wrong with it, just thought I'd share.

If you're referring to the traditional green jello mold that most WASPs have around that time of year, my mom has another name for it ... but it's not good to say in polite company.

Never heard the term "cancer jello" before.

my wife spent some time in idaho and had an encounter with the local version of the "deadly gelatinous mass". you know how some people put minced or finely sliced carrots in lime green jello? or mixed fruit? not good enough for these people! the local variation is to put a massive mold of green jello down on a bed of lettuce and sprinkle salad-style veggies on it... then laying down a thick layer of mayo on top. my wife thought it was cool whip until that first fateful bite....

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-17-2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.dndo-online.com/gallery/wallpapers/gelatinous_cube_holiday_wallpaper_1600x1200

We liked to refer to jello around the gaming table as gelatinous cubes.

So, why is it referred to cancer jello?

kirksmithicus
04-18-2009, 12:19 AM
http://www.dndo-online.com/gallery/wallpapers/gelatinous_cube_holiday_wallpaper_1600x1200

We liked to refer to jello around the gaming table as gelatinous cubes.

So, why is it referred to cancer jello?

LOL, I've always wondered why green gelatinous cubes always eat carrots.

nijineko
04-18-2009, 01:50 AM
they are secretly vegetarians....

GoddessGood
04-18-2009, 08:57 AM
cancer jello because of the foreign bodies in it

Sascha
04-18-2009, 01:34 PM
cancer jello because of the foreign bodies in it

<ahnuld>
"It's not a tumah!"
</ahnuld>

Ahem.

GoddessGood
04-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Even better is:
"Our mom says our dad is a real sex machine."

Delivered by twin girls about 5 years old in a deadpan monotone. Classic.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I knew an individual that taught his child to respond with "just like my daddy" every time his was complimented on his intelligence. Very funny.

Doritos have always been the unofficial snack at all of our games. When i eat them i always thinks of the old Jay Leno commercial where he says: eat all you want, we'll make more." -paraphrased, or course.