PDA

View Full Version : What's your job?

GoddessGood
04-14-2009, 04:31 PM
A friend of mine posits that most gamers are in the tech industry. I'd like to know, what's your job?

Me, I'm an engineer so she's got me pegged. My boyfriend is a linux/unix system administrator, so he follows that pattern, too.

yukonhorror
04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Chemical engineer.

Normally I wouldn't say that is "tech", but I do molecular modeling on a computer all day, so yeah, tech.

Sascha
04-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Previous employment includes telephone tech support, and working database-side inventory for a uniform distribution warehouse.

Current position is student (physical anthropology, going to focus on osteology and forensics). Not sure if that's sufficiently techy, but it is sciencey.

Talmek
04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm a unit operator for a global oil company. If you consider turning a wrench and troubleshooting unit problems to prevent environmental incidents "technical" then I'm it.

However I was in Special Operations for eight years (and also during my initial love affair with D&D) and I was nowhere near technical in my profession.

Overall, no...I'm not in a technical field.

yukonhorror
04-14-2009, 05:56 PM
addendum.

When I got into gaming (and played it addictively), I was a HS student and new nill about computers and techie stuff. Which is ironic considering that is all I do now, yet I still no nill about computers and techie stuff.

kirksmithicus
04-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Previous employment includes telephone tech support, and working database-side inventory for a uniform distribution warehouse.

Current position is student (physical anthropology, going to focus on osteology and forensics). Not sure if that's sufficiently techy, but it is sciencey.

In a similar type of profession. We use lots of tech. but I would not call it part of the tech industry.

I started out in Physical Anthropology but decided after a bit that I'm not so fond of dead people. It's an acquired thing. My friend Patrick could boil body parts in a crock pot with no problem. He always claimed the smell reminded him of Mooshu (Sp?)Pork, but he's always been a little off. Alas, it was not for me.

Riftwalker
04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
<-- engineer of the software variety

Sascha
04-14-2009, 06:33 PM
In a similar type of profession. We use lots of tech. but I would not call it part of the tech industry.

I started out in Physical Anthropology but decided after a bit that I'm not so fond of dead people. It's an acquired thing. My friend Patrick could boil body parts in a crock pot with no problem. He always claimed the smell reminded him of Mooshu (Sp?)Pork, but he's always been a little off. Alas, it was not for me.
Yeah, one of my professors said you can either handle it (the smell), or ya can't. For me, it's not so much the smell, but gooey stuff that sets off my ick. (Having a cat curbs most of that reaction, what with hairballs and such, but it's always there, heh.)

Grimwell
04-14-2009, 06:51 PM
/guilty
My company makes video games. Hard for me not to be techy.

Freejack
04-14-2009, 07:29 PM
From my introduction:

...One good thing about gaming happened several years earlier after returning from Germany. I used computers to manage my games. I learned to program to create character generation and monitoring programs. I got a programming job after I got out of the military and then moved to LAN installation and administration. Novell, 3Com, Microsoft, Dos and OS/2. It's a big reason I moved into LAN parties. I already had a home network. I got into usenet and enjoyed using Mosaic to retrieve information from the new World Wide Web.

I downloaded Slackware Linux to floppy disks and mucked about with it. I changed jobs again from a Windows admin and became a Solaris Unix admin. Irix, AIX, HP-UX, Tru64, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Red Hat, Slackware, Mandrake, but mainly Solaris...

So yea :D

Carl

kirksmithicus
04-14-2009, 08:43 PM
/guilty
My company makes video games. Hard for me not to be techy.

My brother would be so jealous. He has two goals in life;

Get paid to watch TV
Get paid to play or develop video games.

Kaewin
04-15-2009, 07:43 AM
I feel alone, I am a stay at home dad. Not very techie but hey someone needs to keep the house and watch the brats. But I am not someone who lost their job and has to do this, its an dunderstaning by my wife the princess. She wants to live a certain set of standards and I am to make them for her.

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 08:10 AM
How did that get arranged? :) Mebbe I can work a similar setup ;)

So I guess if the hypothesis were expanded from gamer=tech worker to gamer=science/tech worker that it would catch most people. My six players work:
in a game store
in a pet store (x2)
as a social worker
in various computer jobs

The last one I'm not sure of, as it hasn't come up.

Skunkape
04-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Web User Interface Developer.

When I first started working after college, beyond your typical non-career jobs, I worked in the film industry for a short period of time. Tried to make it a career, but didn't know enough people on the in the business.

So I switched career paths and started doing tech work.

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Film industry? Sounds like a story there :) The only people I ever knew in the "film industry" made educational videos for the local school board.

Grimwell
04-15-2009, 09:17 AM
My brother would be so jealous. He has two goals in life;

Get paid to watch TV
Get paid to play or develop video games.

It's not as sexy as it sounds (though I love the job), and it's not as hard to get in with such low expectations. He could do QA or CS in a snap assuming he has a good basic education and social skills. :D

Kaewin: I've been the stay at home dad in the past, it's a good life! More time with the kids is beyond value. In my home, we just got to a point where my wife wanted out of her office so we traded places and I went to work. You are doing a good thing!

Skunkape
04-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Film industry? Sounds like a story there :) The only people I ever knew in the "film industry" made educational videos for the local school board.

For about 1 year when I lived in Miami I made a living as a production assistant, mostly moving from studio to studio on an as needed basis. I had a 4+ month gig working for 1 studio that I had wanted to become permanent, but they had enough workers and only needed us on a temporary basis. Though out of all the temps, I was there the longest.

I drove single body box trucks, a cherry picker, did lots of carpentry, and even more grunt work. One of the jobs I had if I was more confident in my skills, I could have been a costumer, but they were using industrial strength sewing machines and I didn't want to end up sewing my finger(s) to a garment, so I passed on that job.

Did some re-wiring of spot lights for one company, Overall, was a great experience, made lots of money for the time, but then Miami Vice was cancelled and all of the people who were working for that show needed work, and so I could never find work after that. That's the not knowing enough people issue.

But even with the long hours I put in, sometimes 16 plus hour days, it was the best job I have ever had and would go back to it in an instant if given the opportunity.

While this wasnít the film industry, I also worked for about half a year for the Coconut Grove Playhouse doing production assistant there. Was the only temp that they trusted to run the custom made smoke machine, which could have exploded if it wasnít handled properly.

Iíve even thought about going back to work in the theater, but I make much better money in my current job, than I would if I worked in a theater where I live now, so Iím not quite as interested in that.

ronpyatt
04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Now, an independent tech support contractor/field agent, but when I started gaming I was just a computer/science nerd student, and paradoxically a budding high school track star. (made for an odd mix of cliques)

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 09:51 AM
We're actually pretty close to even now, if I count current jobs. Science/tech jobs: 59%, Non-science/tech jobs: 41%

Eeenteresting.

Etarnon
04-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Retired USN ASW weapons mechanic.

kirksmithicus
04-15-2009, 01:17 PM
I feel alone, I am a stay at home dad. Not very techie but hey someone needs to keep the house and watch the brats. But I am not someone who lost their job and has to do this, its an understanding by my wife the princess. She wants to live a certain set of standards and I am to make them for her.

My current position as well. My son is stabbing me in the temple with a pen as I type. :D I enjoy it mostly, I hate cleaning and doing the dishes though, which is why I'm talking to you guys right now.

It's not as sexy as it sounds (though I love the job), and it's not as hard to get in with such low expectations. He could do QA or CS in a snap assuming he has a good basic education and social skills. :D

It never is that sexy is it? If they made a realistic movie about Archaeology, it would be called "The cure for Insomnia"...because it is way booooooooriiiiiing 99% of the time. Well if my brother moves back to L.A., which he wants to do (which is really just beyond me why he wants to go back to being poor all the time :D), you can hook the bum up with a job.

Grimwell
04-15-2009, 02:55 PM
We don't have a studio in LA; but yeah plenty do. He just needs to apply somewhere and learn what skills are attractive to each company.

Sascha
04-15-2009, 03:57 PM
If they made a realistic movie about Archaeology, it would be called "The cure for Insomnia"
Indeed.

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 04:08 PM
You all lie. Bones and Indiana Jones are the truth :) Right?

Right? ;)

Farcaster
04-15-2009, 04:19 PM
SQL Database Developer here with some freelance PHP/MySQL development on the side.

kirksmithicus
04-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Right? ;)

Well, you can only shoot so many Nazi's before it gets to be kinda boring and mundane. Anyway, I got carpal tunnel syndrome from shooting my .45 so damn much I had to retire. You know those things kick a lot more than you think they would. Seriously though, I could bore you to death talking about the fracture mechanics of brittle solids, types of chert, soils or any number of other not so interesting subjects. I almost drowned once at work! (hows that for exciting). I fell asleep washing rocks in the lab and fell face first into a tub of water. By far the most interesting thing we ever did at work was the off-roading in the truck. Give me a 4x4 and a shovel and I can drive your butt nearly anywhere. Maybe it's more exciting in other countries but not so much in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming and Utah. Although I do like what I do, it's just not all that exciting.

Sascha
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM

Right? ;)
Lara Croft ... now there's a real archaeologist! ;)

drewshi
04-16-2009, 04:56 AM
I'm a high school English teacher.

GoddessGood
04-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Lara Croft ... now there's a real archaeologist! ;)

Well, you can only shoot so many Nazi's before it gets to be kinda boring and mundane. Anyway, I got carpal tunnel syndrome from shooting my .45 so damn much I had to retire. You know those things kick a lot more than you think they would. Seriously though, I could bore you to death talking about the fracture mechanics of brittle solids, types of chert, soils or any number of other not so interesting subjects. I almost drowned once at work! (hows that for exciting). I fell asleep washing rocks in the lab and fell face first into a tub of water. By far the most interesting thing we ever did at work was the off-roading in the truck. Give me a 4x4 and a shovel and I can drive your butt nearly anywhere. Maybe it's more exciting in other countries but not so much in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming and Utah. Although I do like what I do, it's just not all that exciting.
Yay, I'm being humored.

@Drewshi: God bless you, how do you not go blind/crazy reading bad essays?

Kaewin
04-16-2009, 09:00 AM
At one point I had a great factory job, pretty descent pay and excellent benifts, 15$ week for blue cross for the family of 5. Cracked up though and laid off. The last couple of years nothing real. She went back to school and got a nursing degree, (going back for a higher one) and I left my job to look for another. She decided she likes me hom and that was 2 yrs ago. Now I am a domestic servant. I like the time with my kids but my son is autistic and at one point we didn't know if he would talk. Now he nebver shuts up, and he hangs on me. I game during the day so I don't go beserk.

I currently have Monday nights free, anyone want to fly out? I will pick you up at Dulles:lol:

GoddessGood
04-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Yup, had a buddy with a similar set up. He could only get people together to game twice a week, so he used the rest of his "free time" (he shouldn't have had much, what with 4 kids all under age 7) working towards a master's in creative writing. His wife's a pediatric nurse in a hospital, and one of the coolest women I know.

wbrandel
04-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Not guilty. I work in the private security field as a commissioned security patrol officer

drewshi
04-16-2009, 03:48 PM
@GoddessGood

It's not easy. Between the poor grammar and the lack of focus, you get some horrible essays. You also get some great laughs.

Talmek
04-17-2009, 02:56 AM
I'm a high school English teacher.

Teaching - truly a noble profession these days.

However, tell me this: Does it bother you when people on teh forumz uz non-correct engrish?

Ah, teachers...it must be a calling. :D

drewshi
04-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Teaching - truly a noble profession these days.

However, tell me this: Does it bother you when people on teh forumz uz non-correct engrish?

Ah, teachers...it must be a calling. :D

Actually, what annoys me more is when people correct my grammar. ;)

People think that just because I teach it, I live it 24/7.

The fact is, the kids' bad habits tend to rub off on you when you least expect it.

GoddessGood
04-17-2009, 08:43 AM
This is why, if I teach, I'd want to teach advanced math. No need for essays there. You either know what you're doing or you don't.

mrken
04-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Looks like I am not the only stay-at-home dad. Only I got tricked into it. My wife the Queen and I agreed many years ago that she would be a stay-at-home mom because we didnít want our kids to be raised by day care centers or baby sitters. Yeah, that was the agreement. Well, she went out and got a degree in programming and makes a bunch of money and I home schooled our kids, until this year. Son went to the local high school this year and is getting ready to graduate and our daughter went to the public middle school. They all left me. I been out of the job market for the past thirteen years and am getting old and my body is no longer studdly (bad joints from all those years of football and running). Would like to continue building terrain for the local gamers but my mother-in-law tossed a monkey wrench into all that when she moved in suddenly and moved out just as suddenly. As soon as one of our friends gets her own place again we will move her furniture out of our garage and I will reclaim some of the space out in my garage for my materials. In the mean time I will just have to move it out into the living area so I can find my worktable again. lol

Dimthar
04-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I am chemist/metallurgist, half of my experience was on the steel industry, the other half as a manufacturing quality engineer. Currently due to the recession, out of the market, but one plan is to pursue an old goal of mine, so I am trying to start getting certified as a teacher (Science, chemistry hopefully).

Just did THEA yesterday (5Hr!... phew!), I hope I did OK, since English is not my native language..

TOEFL is next month ...

GoddessGood
04-17-2009, 11:50 AM
THEA is math placement, right? What's TOEFL?

yukonhorror
04-17-2009, 01:51 PM
test of english as a foreign language

It tests reading/writing/listening skills.

Dimthar, you'll probably be fine. I know a lot of people who pass, but still have minimal english skills (for grad school you have to take it).

The thing it doesn't test is speaking, which I wish it did. I know students with great writing skills, but I can't understand one word they say.

I digress.

Dimthar
04-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Dimthar, you'll probably be fine. I know a lot of people who pass, but still have minimal english skills (for grad school you have to take it).

TOEFL I did long time ago, did great. Should be better now that I've been living and working here for 4 years.

Some Universities require TSE if you are applying for a teaching assistantship position as a grad student.

THEA is Reading comprehension, math skills and writing ability (used to be TASP).

My personal experience on learning a different language (English in this case):

Listening: If you do not live in the country where the language is spoken. Watch movies in that language with subtitles in that language. In my case I still watch movies in English with English subtitles (or CC). Some times you know the word but don't know how it is pronounced. When DVDs arrived, things became easier.

Vocabulary: Read, Read and Read. This apply to you own native language.

Grammar: Here is where formal classes help.

GoddessGood
04-17-2009, 03:33 PM
TOEFL I did long time ago, did great. Should be better now that I've been living and working here for 4 years.
Depends on whether it tests your knowledge of the language or your fluency. I can pass a spanish test, but I can't speak the language. Likewise, I knew native spanish speakers who flunked out of spanish class.

MortonStromgal
04-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Network Administrator... For the record though in college I studied music and if I could ever get a job writing music that the pay is steady and enough, I would do that. Computer stuff just came easy.

nijineko
04-18-2009, 01:44 AM
unemployed. but trying to be in the graphic design industry. i usually get stuck with being a security guard in the interim. bleh. though i do admit that fixing computers comes easy. i blame my dad for that. heck, guess i have to blame my dad for the roleplaying too, then. ^^

Katbutt
04-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Actor, signer, band member, and student at (one of) the junior highs around here.

Goreaddict
04-18-2009, 06:15 PM
got paid 10 bucks an hour to refurbish crappy old computers for schools for like 6 weeks before they had to move on. Only job I've ever had and me and the boss would just listen to comedians and work on old Dells all day. (Its a government program called upward bound it helps people get into college and what not very helpful, and very successful I start college this summer with all my old D&D buddies in the same apartment complex as me :D I'm pumped)

tesral
04-20-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm a machinist by trade. I made precision pieces of metal. By inclination anything I need to be to get where I'm trying to go. I've tried a little of everything over the years. When I can't find or afford something, I make it. Be that wood, metal, or plastic. Heck I've done needlework when I wanted patches you couldn't buy.

GoddessGood
04-20-2009, 10:15 AM
got paid 10 bucks an hour to refurbish crappy old computers for schools for like 6 weeks before they had to move on. Only job I've ever had and me and the boss would just listen to comedians and work on old Dells all day. (Its a government program called upward bound it helps people get into college and what not very helpful, and very successful I start college this summer with all my old D&D buddies in the same apartment complex as me :D I'm pumped)
Awesome set up :)

I'm starting to wonder if I might dabble in website design. More because I might find it fun than I want to do it as work, but yeah :) Fun.

cpljarhead
04-20-2009, 12:02 PM
not all of us are "tech" geeks some of us are physical laborers. me i was in grammer school when i started and then after high school i went in to the marine corps and after i am now a mailman. no tech there.

Katbutt
04-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Is being a cat a job 'cause that's what I wanna do when I grow up.

Goreaddict
04-21-2009, 06:35 AM
@Goddess I enjoy it, but I don't ever do anything serious I was suppose to compete this year for skills usa web site design but didn't get to >:{

@Cpljarhead every male in my family has been in the military at some point and my dad doesn't want me to join or I think I would as far as labor I've helped build a few houses and poured my share of concrete and moved enough dirt to where I'm pretty ok with NOT doing any of that >.< my dad is a certified electrition and a plethora of other things pretty much all he does in manual labor, and random logging?(trees)

GoddessGood
04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
... random logging?(trees)
OMGLOOKATREE! *chop*

Random logging. Love it.

Valdar
04-21-2009, 10:37 AM
My job title got changed to "Writer" recently, so I'm considering getting a turtleneck with patches on the elbows, a beret, and hanging out in Starbucks all day.

Actually, it's because they want to break down the barrier between "technical writers" (which I am not) and "programmer/writers" (which I am)- basically, tech writers don't write code, and programmer/writers do.

tesral
04-21-2009, 10:50 AM
My job title got changed to "Writer" recently, so I'm considering getting a turtleneck with patches on the elbows, a beret, and hanging out in Starbucks all day.

Actually, it's because they want to break down the barrier between "technical writers" (which I am not) and "programmer/writers" (which I am)- basically, tech writers don't write code, and programmer/writers do.

Big difference there. It sounds like a real Dilbert move. I know people that are both technical writers those who are programmers. They do need to talk, but they don't do the same thing.

Valdar
04-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Big difference there. It sounds like a real Dilbert move. I know people that are both technical writers those who are programmers. They do need to talk, but they don't do the same thing.

Programmers are something else entirely- tech writers typically write docs for end users, while programmer/writers write docs for the developer audience (including code snippets and fully executable samples).

Aeon
04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
I drove single body box trucks, a cherry picker, did lots of carpentry, and even more grunt work. One of the jobs I had if I was more confident in my skills, I could have been a costumer, but they were using industrial strength sewing machines and I didn't want to end up sewing my finger(s) to a garment, so I passed on that job.

Industrial machines are totally not difficult once you realize industrial:domestic::armored personnel carrier:golf cart. I'm a theatrical seamstress by trade... freelancing in NY means I do a fashion and television work here and there, too.

Most of the gamers I know are either theatrical electricians or audio engineers, which I consider pretty computer geeky with some heavy lifting thrown in.

Goreaddict
04-22-2009, 07:15 PM
OMGLOOKATREE! *chop*

Random logging. Love it.yeah basically, but only my dads a dick >.< so its more like OMGLOOKAFOREST!!!....not any more....

GoddessGood
04-22-2009, 07:29 PM
yeah basically, but only my dads a dick >.< so its more like OMGLOOKAFOREST!!!....not any more....
That's called commitment and sticktoitiveness

tesral
04-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Programmers are something else entirely- tech writers typically write docs for end users, while programmer/writers write docs for the developer audience (including code snippets and fully executable samples).

Ah a third choice. But not what technical writers are doing. I do know people that do that. For Tech writers knowing the tech issues is important. Knowing people that don't know the tech issues is even more important. User documentation is worthless if it does not communicate to the user.

In the case of a programmer/writer knowing how to program is vital? You are writing for programmers, not the end user. Being able to communicate in more than snorts, grunts and math would be helpful too. :biggrin:

Kaewin
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
I figured out as a house husband I make about 50 cents an hour. I need a raise. Anybody know who I can stuff envolpes in my free time? ANy internet stuff a tech illiterate person can do.

My tech resume

1 turn on pc
2 watch windows load up
3 go to aol
4 sign on
5 browse web
6 answer cell phone
7 set clock on vcr

I would like to learn to burn a cd for my White Wolf songs but i'm not sure how.

GoddessGood
04-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Windows Media Player used to let you do that, don't know if it still does or if you have a version that will let you do it. Insert a blank CD (of the type your CD burner will burn), select "Copy to CD or Device" in Windows Media Player, create the playlist of things you want on the CD and then click "Copy". If all goes well, you have a CD that will run in a computer, CD player or car CD player if the player isn't too old. I had a '93 Taurus whose CD player wouldn't play burned discs.

Kaewin
04-23-2009, 09:07 AM
I will have to get a disk and some music and try it out. If I mess it up the computer won't catch aflame will it?

GoddessGood
04-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Nope, you'll just have a very nice, shiny coaster instead of a playable CD. Make sure you check what it says on the front of your burner drive before you buy CDs for it. CD-R, CD-RW, CD+R, these are all different things. RW (re-writable) means you can add things to it again after the first time you burn stuff on it. Otherwise, if you try to add more songs, it won't work and you'll have to burn another disc.

tesral
04-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I figured out as a house husband I make about 50 cents an hour. I need a raise. Anybody know who I can stuff envolpes in my free time? ANy internet stuff a tech illiterate person can do.

We do get underpaid. The fringe benefits are pretty good however.

1 turn on pc
2 watch windows load up
3 go to aol

There's your problem right there. First you have the wrong OS, second, you don't have an ISP.

I would like to learn to burn a cd for my White Wolf songs but i'm not sure how.

Windows Media Player used to let you do that, don't know if it still does or if you have a version that will let you do it. Insert a blank CD (of the type your CD burner will burn), select "Copy to CD or Device" in Windows Media Player, create the playlist of things you want on the CD and then click "Copy". If all goes well, you have a CD that will run in a computer, CD player or car CD player if the player isn't too old. I had a '93 Taurus whose CD player wouldn't play burned discs.

I have a 98 Taurus without a CD player. I take my mp3 player and plug it in to the cassette thing with the CD kit. Works fine.

I will have to get a disk and some music and try it out. If I mess it up the computer won't catch aflame will it?

Nope, you'll just have a very nice, shiny coaster instead of a playable CD. Make sure you check what it says on the front of your burner drive before you buy CDs for it. CD-R, CD-RW, CD+R, these are all different things. RW (re-writable) means you can add things to it again after the first time you burn stuff on it. Otherwise, if you try to add more songs, it won't work and you'll have to burn another disc.

Yea, I have lots of coasters. The burn does not always work right. Sometime it takes a while for the clue to seep through. I had a bad burner. It took ten coasters in a row before I bought a clue.

I tend to look hard for what I did wrong not blame the hardware. Sometimes it's the hardware.

However I highly do not recommend WMP (wimp) I don't recommend windows. I use grip for ripping disks. I can control the bitrate, choose the encoder, even what format it rips too, wave, mp3, ogg, etc.. I use K3B for burning disks. I get fewer coasters that way and a closer adherence to the Philips Red Book standard.

GoddessGood
04-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Lol, just suggesting a method he might already have access to (seeing as he runs windows and WMP tends to be native software) and something "user friendly" as he said he wasn't too tech-savvy.

tesral
04-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Lol, just suggesting a method he might already have access to (seeing as he runs windows and WMP tends to be native software) and something "user friendly" as he said he wasn't too tech-savvy.

I've never considered windows user friendly.

GoddessGood
04-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Hence the quotes :)

tesral
04-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Hence the quotes :)

I don't do Windows.

Kaewin
04-23-2009, 01:43 PM
I do windows, on Sundays if its warm.

The obove explination hurt my head

I do have a dvd rw compact disk rw

tesral
04-24-2009, 12:35 AM
I do windows, on Sundays if its warm.

The obove explination hurt my head

I do have a dvd rw compact disk rw

That is why it is full frontal nerdity with me all the way. While not an IT professional, I know my computers. I'm a very skilled end user. I build computers, I do installs on cold hardware, I maintain. But I'm that way with most of my interests. Learn how it works and it works better for you.

gajenx
04-26-2009, 09:07 AM
I do contract work sometimes for Early intervention services as an HI service provider for parents of and babies that are Hard or Hearing or Deaf.

I also am a FT special Education teacher/HI resource teacher at a middle school.

tesral
04-26-2009, 12:58 PM
I do contract work sometimes for Early intervention services as an HI service provider for parents of and babies that are Hard or Hearing or Deaf.

I also am a FT special Education teacher/HI resource teacher at a middle school.

Middle schoolers, (shudder)

Windstar
04-26-2009, 02:40 PM
A friend of mine posits that most gamers are in the tech industry. I'd like to know, what's your job?

Me, I'm an engineer so she's got me pegged. My boyfriend is a linux/unix system administrator, so he follows that pattern, too.

I am an over the road truck driver and I also served our country for 22 years in navy as an aircraft mech. My also plays and she is a manager at McDonlds and she also drove a truck for awhile. My hobbies are kinda of techie, but my jobs have always got my hands dirty to some extent.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin:

gajenx
04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Now tesral Middle schoolers are not that bad. They are just a different sort of crazy monster. Once you get used to them they end up being enjoyable and say the darnest things.