PDA

View Full Version : Gothic RP

Dunadin777
04-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, Gothic RP is a customized RPG variant of the Inquisitor rules. Designed to feature deadly, quick combat and sinister, corrupt plots, Gothic RP is meant to tell interesting stories, not create a hack and slash game. Since I've crafted the final draft of the rulebook(provided to interested players), it is entirely likely that the rules are not balanced, but as a GM I make it a point to reward interesting characters, so that shouldn't be a problem for good role-players.

What to expect: Players can expect a deadly style of combat that downplays recovery from the original Inquisitor rules set. That means a few solid shots could kill or maim your character(s). As such, characters may be created to replace lost ones. Also, this roleplaying ruleset does not encourage rampant leveling or power-gaming, since I, as a GM, prefer to have weak, interesting characters who respond to villains naturally as opposed to having to constantly come up with tougher villains to confront players. As far as the player characters' role, there are several options: the group can be connected with the Imperium directly, probably as members of the Inquisition, or they can be civilians falling under the broad Rogue Trader category. I prefer the concept of having PCs fall under the Inquisition, but if the players have suggestions or requests, I'd be happy to consider them.

What to bring: Battlegrounds RPG--I will have 4 floating licenses available for players who need them, and I will send interested players all the files in advance if you'd like. Ventrilo will be used, provided I successfully test out how to create a server with it.

When: I will put up specifics about the first game soon, but here is what I am planning/working on right now. The first scenario(which will hopefully be in the next week or two) will be purely introductory, involving a squad of Imperial Guard investigating a civilian freighter. This will give players a chance to try out the rules, will give me a first session as GM to work out any major kinks, and will allow the players time and inspiration before committing to any character ideas they may have. As far as the time for regular sessions, Friday nights are what I'm currently envisioning, but my schedule is very open right now, so please let me know your scheduling preferences if you are interested.

So, that's the scoop. Please note me or e-mail me with GRP in the topic if you are interested. If you would like more information on the setting, check out Lexicanum.com or ask me.

brutology
04-09-2009, 08:21 AM
im very intrested however i need to know how the system works do we all have to be online at the same time or will this be a play by post style game?
interested either way i just know scheduling can be a pain

Dunadin777
04-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Hey Brutology, glad to hear you're interested. The Battlegrounds RPG software is very straightforward to use, especially for players. If you go to battlegroundsgames.com, you can download the software(again, no need to get a player's license) and check it out. Basically, it functions as a simultaneous Virtual TableTop. It has built-in dice-rolling macros, the options for visual aids and sound effects, etc. In short, it has more features than I can shake my GM fist at! For connecting, it's just a simple matter of me sending you my IP address, you connect to my game, I send my floating license to your computer so you have no time limit, and we play.

As for Gothic RP itself, I can summarize the basics of the Inquisitor system its based on. If you'd like, I can e-mail you the pdf which is almost done with its first full draft. Inquisitor (and, by extension, Gothic RP) is based on the use of d10s and d6s. The d10s are also used together as d100s. Character stats normally fall within a 1-100 range, and most characteristic tests involve the character trying to roll equal to or under their characteristic, after modifiers. For example, Slick Devlan the Desperado has a Ballistic Skill(BS) of 70, and is firing a revolver at a stationary mutant 12 yards away. With a -5 for range, Slick needs to roll a 65 or less to hit the mutant. On a 7(one-tenth the target number) or less, Slick makes a placed shot and probably ruins the mutant's day.

Also, if you know of any other interested players, please encourage them to check it out. This will be my first time GMing an online campaign, but I have GMed a lot of 'real life' games in the past.

brutology
04-10-2009, 02:45 AM
i will see if i can find anyone interested.

Dunadin777
04-13-2009, 04:23 PM
If anyone wants to get the rules for this game or a blank character sheet, I've finished them both in pdf format. If anyone wants, send me a private message with your e-mail address, and I can e-mail the files to you. I'll be setting things up for the demo/intro game this weekend, either Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. If you're interested, please weigh in to let me know which of those days work for you and which you'd prefer.

taiwest
09-09-2009, 11:59 PM
This sounds great! I always wanted to an underling to a Eisenhorn or a Ravenor. I downloaded the original Inquisitor rules some time ago and am having a read through. I have not used Battlegrounds but do have Fantasy Grounds. No issue, I can pick up a copy.

Tai West

Dunadin777
09-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Yes, Abnett's Inquisitor novels are definitely one of my key inspirations. The well-done (and all too rare) combination of action and drama is by far the best set in the 40k universe.

Unfortunately, Taiwest, this game is currently lost in the Warp. I sent you a PM with a little more explanation. I'd still like to catalogue interest for this game, either for the purposes of later reviving the same or a similar concept.