PDA

View Full Version : What 3.5 Ed Books Do You Use Most

Beaumont Sebos
04-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Just started playing 3.5 ed and acquiring books.

I currently have the three core books, plus Spell Compendium.

What other books do you find you use most? Why? What else should I get?

Thriondel Half-Elven
04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Just started played 3.5 ed and acquiring books.

i personally like the Forgotten Realms setting. so i use those books alot. mainly the core setting book. even if you don't like the realms the book has tons of ideas and hooks.

i also use the Arms and Equipment guide. a lot of goodies there too.

I don't own many books, but i have checked a bunch out from the library. the Players Handbook II and Dungeon Masters Guide II are great.

cpljarhead
04-08-2009, 05:37 PM
it all depends on if your a player or a dm. but the magic item compendium helps for either. i have mostly books containing different races and classes, but have 3 monster manuals and the forgotten realms setting and the eberron setting too and even kingdoms of kalimaar setting

cigamnogard
04-08-2009, 06:46 PM
PHB
DMG
MMI
Complete Adventurer
Complete Warrior
Races of Stone
Races of Destiny
Races of Nature (?)
Book of Nine Swords

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-08-2009, 11:14 PM
I owned them all. Once 4E was released, i lost my drive to collect everything 3.5. So what did i do with them? i did the right thing, i gave them to my bestest gaming buddy, Jermaine. Tamerath on these boards knows him for they play campaigns bi-monthly. I gave them all to Jermaine, free of charge, for i know he would honor them in gaming to the end of his days.

DMMike
04-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Heroes of Battle is an excellent book. Most campaigns are vulnerable to a breakout of war, and that book makes the design process go much smoother.

Cityscape is another staple. It helps you flesh out a city beyond "the town has a castle and a stable. The Town Inn conveniently links the two."

cigamnogard
04-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Isn't Hereos of Battle a 3.0 book?

Lucian-Sunaka
04-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Doesn't matter Cig. 3.0 material is compatible with 3.5 campaigns. It might take a small amount of tweaking to accomodate the changes, but they are few enough it wouldn't take any real time at all.

cigamnogard
04-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Just started playing 3.5 ed and acquiring books.

:confused:

Mindbomb
04-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I think the Hero Builders Guide is a great overlooked resource for 3e and My most used book has to be Hero's of Horror

yukonhorror
04-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Magic Item compendium is great.

I have classified the books into 4 categories:

Places
Races
Classes
Misc/core

As a DM, places would be a good one, but only based off where is your setting.

Heroes of Horror - dark horror etc...
Heroes of battle - war, teamwork, etc..
Frostburn - for cold environs
Sandstorm - for desert/wasteland environs
I can't remember the water one, but there is one for aquatic environs (above and below the water)
Ghostwalk - ghosts walk amongst the living commonly
forgotten realms and eberron - their own worlds
Fiend Folio if you have a demon heavy game or fiend folio 2 for a devil heavy game
Manual of the planes and player's handbook of the planes are good for planar games

Beaumont Sebos
04-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Looks like I gotta start scraping some dough together!

cpljarhead
04-09-2009, 04:35 PM
once you get the dough, try using ebay you'll find them easier and possibly cheaper there.

cigamnogard
04-09-2009, 04:46 PM
2nd hand book stores?

cpljarhead
04-09-2009, 07:47 PM
where i live non can be found in the second hand bookstores--- scooped up almost immediately

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I find great deals on amazon and ebay.

Talmek
04-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Amazon and eBay have massively contributed to my collection of 3.5e material. I was able to get everything but 2 books short of the entire Eberron collection for less than sixty dollars (and about three months time waiting for books to go on sale).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Amazon and eBay have massively contributed to my collection of 3.5e material. I was able to get everything but 2 books short of the entire Eberron collection for less than sixty dollars (and about three months time waiting for books to go on sale).
My friends have reported same in savings. Now is the time folks to finish off your 3.5 collections.

yukonhorror
04-10-2009, 08:56 AM
I forgot cityscape and dungeonscape

It is obvious which they apply to.

cigamnogard
04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Really?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Whataya know, i didnt have those two. Go figure.

yukonhorror
04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
i liked dungeonscape, but wasn't a fan of cityscape. But that probably has to do with I avoid running city intensive games, and love dungeon crawls. Also, I like classes and dungeonscape has the factotum class.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-13-2009, 05:53 PM
i liked dungeonscape, but wasn't a fan of cityscape. But that probably has to do with I avoid running city intensive games, and love dungeon crawls. Also, I like classes and dungeonscape has the factotum class.
I'm old school so i love dungeons crawls as well. City type modules, for me, can get old after al while, but again, i am old school.

Dark
04-13-2009, 06:02 PM
God I don't know how many I have a whole upper floor of 3e and 3.5 and for me all of them are good. I like to sit down and add up how much I have spent over the years would stagger the mind.

yukonhorror
04-13-2009, 06:02 PM
there were neat monster templates in dungeonscape. One was miniaturizing large monsters (because they can't fit in a dungeon). They were compact versions of their normal counterparts. They were just as strong, but smaller so harder to hit. The example was a medium-sized chimera.

Another one was to make oozes semi-intelligent, so they could act as a sort of janitor. Eating all of the dead bodies and such the chimera generates.

Nice stuff for players too, but a lot of fun stuff for DM's

Malruhn
04-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I'll jump in late on this thread...

The three core is all I NEED, and the ones I refer to the most. Hey, all the rest are fluff anyway, so all you NEED to play the game are the PHB, DMG and MM.

The next one down the line would probably be Unearthed Arcana, but it's rare.

John Wolf
04-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Doesn't matter Cig. 3.0 material is compatible with 3.5 campaigns. It might take a small amount of tweaking to accomodate the changes, but they are few enough it wouldn't take any real time at all.
I remember when 3.5 was released, I was pissed off. I spent all that time collecting 3.0 books, but they are compatible for the most part, like you said. When 4E came out I looked at my friends copy, complete trash if you ask me. If you want a good D&D experience, stick with 3.0 and 3.5 books. Always get the core rule books, then start with PH2 and the DMG2 and all the monster manuals, then the epic level hand books, I have the 3.0 one not sure if they did a 3.5 version, then go with the books from your favorite campaign setting, IMHO anyway.

nijineko
04-18-2009, 03:38 AM
well, as far as need goes, one only needs the imagination. the core books are helpful. i find the 'complete' class books, and the 'races' books handy. as well as the spell and magic item compendiums. but i'm not a good example as i use every 3.x book (with two exceptions), dungeon and dragon mags, and the website for source materials.

BrotherDog
04-18-2009, 04:23 AM
In order of importance (for me, but not including the core books):

Savage Species
Tome of Magic
The Completes
Races of the Dragon
Races of Stone
Races of the Wild
Tome of Battle: Book of the Nine Swords

I love the Binder class and the way they finally brought back Dahlver Nar.

tesral
04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Core, I don't have many beyond that.

Baron_Samedi
05-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Outside of the 3.5 Player's Guide...

I'd go with

Spell Compendium
Expanded Psionics Handbook
and...
Rules Compendium...which i think is a highly underrated book, and i find just as; if not more helpful than the DM's guide...

but what do i know?

Moritz
05-18-2009, 10:15 AM
The Three Core books (DMG, PHB, MM1) are used most.
The MM2 and MM3 are up there. I love monsters.
Then Forgotten Realms and of course the Modules.

All those other 3.5 books, that I went crazy and bought, are rarely used.

templeorder
05-18-2009, 10:28 AM
It really depends... i'm not so big on rules and items, and prefer to create my own unique things. World building on the other hand... Forgotten Realms setting or some other are musts unless you want to spend hours before each session just doing that.

Other than that, all i own are the core books.

Baldwin Stonewood
05-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Besides the core books, I use spell Compendium, Rules Compendium and Complete Scoundrel (skill tricks).

I recently concluded a campaign that Heroes of Battle was one the main books. Lots of military tactics in that campaign.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Heroes of Battle is an excellent book. Most campaigns are vulnerable to a breakout of war, and that book makes the design process go much smoother.

Cityscape is another staple. It helps you flesh out a city beyond "the town has a castle and a stable. The Town Inn conveniently links the two."

I agree HoB makes the design of war go much smoother. One of my favorite books.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Amazon's discount partnerships, with third party vendors, have been a great aid in supplementing my source books. Often the postage is more expensive than the actual printed material.

Oldgamer
05-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Outside of the 3 Core books, I use:

Magic Item Compendium
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
All of the Forgotten Realms campaign books (Races of Faerun, Monsters of Faerun, etc.)
The other MM books (2-5 and FF)
PHB2
Complete series of books

MortonStromgal
05-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Other than the core set as a GM I love Tome of Horrors 1, 2, & 3 from Necromancer Games.

BrotherDog
05-19-2009, 04:06 AM
Other than the core set as a GM I love Tome of Horrors 1, 2, & 3 from Necromancer Games.

I wish I had those, or at least access to them. They did far superior jobs of converting many of the species than Hasbro did. Especially my old fav, Mongrelmen.

Baldwin Stonewood
05-19-2009, 06:29 AM
I also use Libris Mortis, the Book of Undead, Fiendish Codex I Hordes of the Abyss, and Feindish Codex II Tyrants of the Nine Hells. All three are good for its respective focus.