PDA

View Full Version : Need to cure Mummy Rot!

cigamnogard
04-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Last game two members of the party managed to catch mummy rot. Any suggestions on how to make the DC 20 check?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Last game two members of the party managed to catch mummy rot. Any suggestions on how to make the DC 20 check?
At low levels, you could be screwed. In which case, hope your GM is cool.

Sascha
04-06-2009, 06:30 PM
If your mummies were embalmed properly, they wouldn't rot like that, jussayin' :D

Edit: checked the mummy rot description; bad mummies, no biscuit~

cigamnogard
04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
At low levels, you could be screwed. In which case, hope your GM is cool.

6-7th Level

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-06-2009, 07:46 PM
6-7th Level
One thing about dnd, someone out there found a legal loophole to get around the rules. Just wait patiently, trust me, someone on these boards will have an answer that no one has thought of before. :eek:

cigamnogard
04-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Hope so - but i need the answer before Wednesday night. However, it's not for me. I am playing a bard/paladin. Didn't even take a hit.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Hope so - but i need the answer before Wednesday night. However, it's not for me. I am playing a bard/paladin. Didn't even take a hit.
With over 7000 members, and growing; i wouldnt worry. You'll get your answer.

cigamnogard
04-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Cool, otherwise I have a funniest feeling I will be having to assist with two players making their new characters - one of which is my fiancee. Although, I asked her today what she would build if she had to make a new charcter and she said instead of having her swashbuckler/swordsage she would go straight swordsage.

cpljarhead
04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
here a thought. if you have a cleric with the feat divine spell power (use turn attempt and add +3 to castor level) for the dc 20 break enchantment or remove curse spells. and what about action points. action points are in eberron campaigns. you get so many per level but if use one can add 1d6 to any d20 roll for a boost, but it up to dm if you use them or not in campign. combined that could be upwards of +9 added to that dc 20 roll.

Sascha
04-06-2009, 09:51 PM
here a thought. if you have a cleric with the feat divine spell power (use turn attempt and add +3 to castor level) for the dc 20 break enchantment or remove curse spells. and what about action points. action points are in eberron campaigns. you get so many per level but if use one can add 1d6 to any d20 roll for a boost, but it up to dm if you use them or not in campign. combined that could be upwards of +9 added to that dc 20 roll.
Yeah, but mummy rot can only be cured magically (if'n I'm understanding the effect correctly); otherwise, fort saves or Taking 10/20 on heal rolls would be sufficient. What I really don't understand is why Remove Disease isn't on the paladin spell list, heh - sure, they get the ability at 6th, but it's gimped by a weekly recharge.

cigamnogard
04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Can you take 20 on the check? Somehow I didn't think you could?

Farcaster
04-07-2009, 04:48 PM
You can't "take 10" or "take 20" on a saving throw.

However, I would recommend that you try using the heal skill. You should also be able to have at least one or more people in the party "Aid another" on the healer's skill check to give him an additional +2 per person. Reasonably, I'd think the DM would at elast allow one person to aid, but he may allow more than that as well. That would really help you chances.

To treat a disease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#disease) means to tend a single diseased character. Every time he or she makes a saving throw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#savingThrows) against disease effects, you make a Heal check. The diseased character uses your check result or his or her saving throw, whichever is higher.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Oh! Bah! I forgot that mummy rot is supernatural disease. My idea won't work. :-/ Sorrrrry...

cpljarhead
04-07-2009, 05:19 PM
mummy rot is supernatural disease thus you need to remove curse or break enchantment (dc 20 castor lev) in order to be able to cast the heal spells and then magically cure as any normal disease and the rot will be gone. listed in monster manual under mummy rot. (page191 first and second paragraph left column). so use the divine power feat if have to boost castor lev of cleric to cast remove curse (3rd lev cleric spell) which a 5th ot 6th lev cleric can gain.:hail:

cigamnogard
04-07-2009, 06:15 PM
And if the cleric does not have the divine power feat?

cpljarhead
04-08-2009, 02:26 PM
hope for the best roll you can (at least 15 needed then) unless dm allows the paladin to aid the cleric(+2 to the roll). im out of ideas after that.

Lucian-Sunaka
04-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Well, here's one thing that should help. Failing to overcome the disease doesn't have any negutive effects, so make a day out of it. Have the cleric prepare all their spell slots possible with the spell. If you have... say 2 chances per person your trying to heal your odds go up. (There are alot of ways to artificially raise one's caster level, but the few available at your low level are tied to class levels, feats, etc. and as such would be unavailable to you.)

Oh, one more thing. Sleep and reprepare spells. In a single day, in a secure place, it's concievable to get in two sets of one's daily spell allotment. (almost 3, but the hour preparation time screws that up lol.)

Unless I've somehow forgotten another rule of spell preparation, which is possible lol.

cigamnogard
04-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the good advice. Yes, the cleric has maxed out the required spells.
The game is tonight so I will let you all know how it works out:
Party consists of:
Bard/Paldin - elf (my charcter)
Cleric - human (DM's wife)
Swashbuckler/Swordsage - elf (my g/f); infected
Wizard - gnome
Druid - elf; infected
Ranger - elf
Barbarian - human

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I see your on the final stretch, let us know how tonight works out, cigamnogard.

cigamnogard
04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Should be interesting - especially with the behind the scenes 'action'/'non-action'.

starwolf013
04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
I personally wouldn't want to bring in OOC knowledge into the gameworld as the character. It can be hard to avoid doing, but perhaps there is a side quest in the making here

cigamnogard
04-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Well the cleric rolled:

a 13 not enough
an 18 Swashbuckler/Swordsage saved!
a 7 not enough
__________________________________________________ _______
The Druid who was not there had to roll a save anything higher than a 3 would do it....

1 was rolled...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 02:39 PM
One out of 3. It could have been worse.

Lucian-Sunaka
04-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Wait, so the DM rolled the save for her? Ouch, that's rough. It can be extremely painful for a character to die at the hand's of a DM's roll, even though the dice are supposedly random.

cigamnogard
04-09-2009, 03:04 PM
True! Very true!

cigamnogard
05-06-2009, 06:41 PM
So the one deceased player has yet to return... to the campaign...

Lucian-Sunaka
05-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Was she told about her character's death? That could be a reason. Alternatively this may have been a rare freaky chance of luck that a dropout player's character died right before they dissappeared lol.

cigamnogard
05-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Yes, we informed her. We also told her that missing a game might result in PC death - it's just worked that way in this campaign.
She has since returned and created a 7th Level Paladin (better than my 4th level bard/4th level paladin).

templeorder
05-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Well, by the power of something anyway. In situations where its not really the characters fault, and they just stepped into something they could not handle, i would give them a break. I use faith strongly in all my campaigns in fantasy settings - DnD based or not. The power of the clerics god can heal, but the price is a quest for the affected - which means the rest of the characters will follow. Otherwise or if warranted, character death happens. Its part of why we get emotionally invested in the characters and why its fun - because there is risk and repercussion. If the players are ok with it, let it happen. If it may cause some bad feelings (and again, only if its not really their fault) divine aid is always an option - it does add more flavor to a game too.

cigamnogard
05-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Fair enough. Except the DM is running a Dragon Magazine Adventure. We are currently on the Isle of Dread. The current monster/dungeon has us trying to save a gnome named Uriel who is our cartographer (think I spelled that correctly). So, it is rather difficult to go off on a side adventure - otherwise good idea/option.

templeorder
05-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Fair enough. Except the DM is running a Dragon Magazine Adventure. We are currently on the Isle of Dread. The current monster/dungeon has us trying to save a gnome named Uriel who is our cartographer (think I spelled that correctly). So, it is rather difficult to go off on a side adventure - otherwise good idea/option.

Gods can reach further and faster than PC's. Effect the cure, the quest can come later.

cigamnogard
05-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Gods can reach further and faster than PC's. Effect the cure, the quest can come later.

Okay - but she's dead and we've moved on.

nijineko
05-13-2009, 04:47 PM
And if the cleric does not have the divine power feat?

then you need a psion with access to 4th level powers. for next time. ^^

cigamnogard
05-13-2009, 05:26 PM
then you need a psion with access to 4th level powers. for next time. ^^
That's it?

nijineko
05-13-2009, 10:41 PM
yup. assuming the psion in question took this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm). my personal favorite power. despite the xp cost.

cigamnogard
05-14-2009, 05:15 PM
How would that have helped the mummy rot?

nijineko
05-14-2009, 11:40 PM
the character could have taken advantage of that powers effect to acquire the feat needed. or an appropriate spell. whichever. entirely handy that it is usable on others as well as self. ^^

Talmek
05-15-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm just curious, but if none of your players have the ability to heal, cure, or save from the disease...why did you end up facing something that could infect you like that?

Not that I'm questioning the DM's motives (I couldn't dream of that), but I sense there's a story to it!

cigamnogard
05-15-2009, 02:20 PM
We did/and still do have a cleric but the save is DC is 20! As for why it is a Dragon Magazine Campaign and it was written in the story.