PDA

View Full Version : Legend of the Seeker

Banshee
04-05-2009, 01:21 AM
So, not to sound corny, but, well, here goes: I am addicted to the Legend of the Seeker series! I started watching because of the "Confessor" character, but it wasn't long before the storyline had me hooked. I couldn't help but think that this whole series would have been an excellent D&D campaign in which to have played!

Ok, I'm done gushing. Thanks for bearing with me. I just wanted to know if anybody has seen this show, and if so, what do you think?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Never seen it; never heard of it, but if you say that this series would have made a great dnd campaign, then you've piqued my interest. Tell us more about it, Banshee.

jade von delioch
04-05-2009, 12:07 PM
its not too bad. I ts based roughly on the Sword of truth Book series. From what i understand none of the fans of the books care that much for the show, but i enjoy watching it when i do catch it on TV. If anything it has caused me to be interested in reading the books.

Mindbomb
04-05-2009, 04:49 PM
I really wanted to like this show. I started watching when it first came out but after some terribly cheesy moments in EVERY episode i was reminded of the acting from the D&D movie(with the Wayan's brother). And while that movie wasn't terrible (ok, to some) that caliber of acting on a weekly basis was just to much to handle. Perhaps it's gotten better since the beginning...?

cmac
04-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I watch it sometimes. For me it ranges from pretty good to pretty stupid. The best bit is to mute it and just watch the girl

jade von delioch
04-06-2009, 11:43 PM
shes no that hot and not that naked.

cmac
04-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Aye, if she was naked that would make the show even better. As for "not that hot", well she is all there is on that show.

jade von delioch
04-07-2009, 08:04 AM
true, i didn't think about that

Otakar
04-07-2009, 09:43 AM
I appreciate the comments on this series. I was thinking about renting it from NetFlix but may not bother now. I only have so many hours to spend on entertainment. I am a fan of the books but can appreciate creative license from Hollywood. I'll keep watching this thread.

cmac
04-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Why rent it on NetFlix when you can watch it on line at http://www.hulu.com/videos/search?query=Legend+of+the+Seeker

Check it out yourself

Otakar
04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Why rent it on NetFlix when you can watch it on line at http://www.hulu.com/videos/search?query=Legend+of+the+Seeker

Check it out yourself

You DA MON! Muchas gracias!!!:hail:

cmac
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
no problem

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 10:21 AM

Check it out yourself
Doubtful i'll ever watch it, but i did send the link to somewhere who will enjoy it. Thanks for the link, cmac.

cmac
04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Hulu is a great site. Current FOX and NBC (and CW it seems) shows usually are available the next day.

GoddessGood
04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
shes no that hot and not that naked.
Waiting for Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire, then?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Aye, if she was naked that would make the show even better. As for "not that hot", well she is all there is on that show.
Female nakedness, good. Male nakedness, not so much. I can only speak for myself, of course.

GoddessGood
04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Female nakedness, good. Male nakedness, not so much. I can only speak for myself, of course.
Heh, why not both?

kirksmithicus
04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
So, not to sound corny, but, well, here goes: I am addicted to the Legend of the Seeker series!

Uh, to late :D

I watch it sometimes. For me it ranges from pretty good to pretty stupid. The best bit is to mute it and just watch the girl

Kinda like how I used to watch Xena and Dixie Chicks videos.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Heh, why not both?
Seeing dude doesnt do it for me, not in the slightest.

kirksmithicus
04-07-2009, 02:30 PM
So, not to sound corny, but, well, here goes: I am addicted to the Legend of the Seeker series!

I would like to alter my earlier comment to; critical failure! :D

Seeing dude doesnt do it for me, not in the slightest. Wouldn't that be "dudage"?

GoddessGood
04-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Kinda like how I used to watch Xena and Dixie Chicks videos.
I tried hard to come up with a reason why Xena is quality TV, but couldn't. Sorry Sam Raimi, gotta tell it like it is. Trouble is, shows like that are so bad that they're good.

Wouldn't that be "dudage"?
Beefcake?

Otakar
04-08-2009, 10:14 AM

Check it out yourself

I appreciate these reviews and I did look at it on Hulu (or at least a part of it). I am a fan of Goodkind and his series and I looked at this as being "loosely" based on the books. That helped and I was able to enjoy it a little. I may watch some more but it's hard to pass up those old episodes of "Family Guy". ;-)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I would like to alter my earlier comment to; critical failure! :D

Wouldn't that be "dudage"?
Yep, the term dudage would also apply.

Otakar
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I tried hard to come up with a reason why Xena is quality TV, but couldn't. Sorry Sam Raimi, gotta tell it like it is. Trouble is, shows like that are so bad that they're good.

Beefcake?

Lucy Lawless is in Bedtime Stories with Adam Sandler. My wife spotted her but I didn't believe it until the credits. She looked quite different.

GoddessGood
04-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Lucy Lawless is in Bedtime Stories with Adam Sandler. My wife spotted her but I didn't believe it until the credits. She looked quite different.
I could swear she was also in Burn Notice (the tv show about an out of work operative), but she looked and sounded so different I wasn't sure.

kirksmithicus
04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I could swear she was also in Burn Notice (the tv show about an out of work operative), but she looked and sounded so different I wasn't sure.

That wouldn't surprise me given the guy from "Army of Darkness" (can't remember his name) is in Burn Notice, and the guy who did AoD also directed the Xena movies.

*edit* Xena TV series, not movies

GoddessGood
04-09-2009, 12:01 PM
This is true. They all do travel in a pack, don't they?

Otakar
04-10-2009, 11:00 AM
That wouldn't surprise me given the guy from "Army of Darkness" (can't remember his name) is in Burn Notice, and the guy who did AoD also directed the Xena movies.

*edit* Xena TV series, not movies

Kirk! You're killing me. "The guy from 'Army of Darkness'" OMG. That's Bruce Campbell one of the finest actors around. :lol:

That movie is a classic!
Have a great weekend!

kirksmithicus
04-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry, I was having a Sr. moment, and was drawing a complete blank. Like the time I couldn't remember my wife's name.

me----> :brick::twitch: <--------------- My wife.

Malruhn
04-10-2009, 09:49 PM
As long as you weren't in a romantic embrace...

Dytrrnikl
04-21-2009, 06:03 AM
I agree with OP of this thread, in that most fans of the books absolutely loathe this show - me included. Sam Raimi and the rest of his crew could have done a much better job staying true to the story instead of taking all of the creative license they have. I understand they need to appeal to the masses, however, this show is a travesty of intellect and creativity. Heck, the big screen translations of the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter have been light years better than the train wreck that is Legend of the Seeker. My main reason for being angry, is that the books that the series is barely based upon turned my wife from a rabid hater of anything sci-fi/fantasy into someone who will now read fantasy and enjoy it. This <insert choice profanity here> series has ruined her enjoyment of the original story. I'm sorry, I strongly recommend to EVERYONE - DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW!!! Xena was more entertaining than this.

Malruhn
04-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Heh, this is funny. I just saw the first episode of my long life, and I thought it was at least passably watchable.

But I like most fantasy-type movies/shows.

Otakar
04-22-2009, 08:58 AM
What's funny is weeks ago when this thread started I logged on to Hulu to take a look at it. I watched the first 10 minutes and thought it could be pretty passable but I didn't have time for it then. Well of course I forgot all about Legend of the Seeker until I get this thread update in my email. Even with all the bashing I'll probably see the first episode at least. What's better, is that since I've posted again I'll keep getting updates for a while. ;)

agoraderek
04-23-2009, 06:59 AM
The books are ok, the first four or five are pretty good, the second half of the series gets repetitive with RR explaining his Objectivist world view every third page, but the show has little to do with the books, other than loosely following the plot and having similar characters with the same names.

If you've never read the books, or aren't much of a fan of the books, you might like the TV show. If you're a hardcore fan of the books and can pretend the series is a different story, you're good. If you're a fan of the books and expect the show to follow them closely, prepare to be quite disappointed.

gajenx
04-25-2009, 08:05 PM
For me I never saw read the books but watched the series and love it. I guess the acting style is different for most Americans since it is New Zealand acting traditions and stage styles. I know the show had to very loosely be based on the books since the show would be over and done too soon otherwise as the story would be finished by the first book.

It also got me to start reading the books and I am now halfway through the second one and curious is the whole series of books about Richard, Kahlan, and Zedd for the side person, or is it only the first 3 books make up the trilogy about Richard? I would like to know so I know when I can put the series down and start a new story for a bit before starting a second epic triology or more story arc of books.

Please let me know ASAP!

Dytrrnikl
04-27-2009, 06:10 AM
The Sword of Truth series focuses around Richard and Kahlen primarily for ten books, with one novella based before the series centered on a story concerning Zedd. There is one book, Pillars of Creation, in which the book focuses on the character Jensen.

The ultimate villain of the story isn't Darken Rahl, it's the New World Order adn those that believe that life is a sham in which those that are able should support and take care of those that aren't able, or too lazy to do for themselves, or feel like there lot in life isn't their fault...basically anyone who won't take responisibility for their own life or feel they are entitled to what they haven't earned. The show has dumbed the story down considerably and has changed things from cannon so horribly, that the show bares none of the creative genius of Goodkind.

Otakar
04-27-2009, 09:17 AM
I have read up to Confessor. I usually take a break of a few months between these books. Goodkind seems to recap past events pretty well so I don't feel that I'm lost when I pick one up after half a year. I would like to see how he plans to complete the series. As for the TV show, Hulu lists it under "family". Would any of you who have seen the show let me know if it is really family friendly? I wouldn't call the books tame by family standards.

gajenx
04-27-2009, 08:26 PM
I would not let young kids watch it since it is so violent and some of the episodes are far from family friendly.