PDA

View Full Version : Another Suggestion i'd like implemented...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Farcaster,

To the right of the page of individual responses, there is a list that looks something like this, example:

State: Indiana
Blog Entries: 2 (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php?u=5761)

I'd like to see another line added to this; it would look something like this:

State: Indiana
Blog Entries: 2 (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php?u=5761)
Threads Initiated: ## <--This line here i'd like to be added.

I feel it would encourage participation from our 7000+ members. Wow, what a number. I'm expecting 10,000 members by xmas.

So what do you think?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Should i take the lack of a response as a no news is good news thing? http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Freejack
06-20-2009, 09:13 PM
I'd like to suggest that if you do add this, you exclude any threads in General Discussions from this count since they're generally not game related and this is a game site.

Ok ok, kidding kidding. Just poking at Thoth-Amon :D

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Ridiculous. I disagree, for they ARE site related, and ALL gaming sites that i know of has this category. What's next, are we going to control what topics fellow gamers can talk about? This site is about camaraderie, too, is it not? And if gamers wish to talk on other topics, you can bet, that the subject will eventually come full circle back to the topic of gaming, as it always does. Again, camaraderie.

Camaraderie: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/camaraderie

This is the only site i have ever seen where certain folks try to punish/pass judgment on fellow gamers for site participation. As i said before, if you don't like it, you got two options:

1) Get rid of the General Chatter thread (this would be foolish, for obvious reasons), and be done with it, or...
2) Get rid of the leveling system altogether. A suggestion i have made before, btw.

Enough already with the nay-sayers! This brings nothing positive to this site, fellow gamers, site participation, and with the aforementioned camaraderie issue.

End rant.

templeorder
06-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Life is only worthwhile if you can seperate winners from losers. By god, i want to see how much of a winner i'm talking to. Its all about the numbers... larger is better, count them all! Bully!

mrken
06-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Is this going be another fight? Can I sell tickets?

Hey, some people are serious and don't enjoy the fluff others bring. Others like a good laugh and everywhere they go they smile and bring a little levity.

But going around penalizing others for being different than ourselves is not sociable. Get along boys or I will ask that Farcaster bring out his +5 stick of behaving.

And if anyone has a problem with others getting points for stuff that is not related to gaming you can have mine. I could give a rip how many points one has or what level they are. I can generally tell by the time one has fifty points if they are decent human beings or if they are dirt bags. Some just want to throw their weight around and they think the number of points they have is an indication of how important they are(and some are mean to others with no points at all). Others don't care, they are equal opportunity @#$% *&%$. How many times has a Lurker come out with good stuff while someone with a ton of points stuffs a foot in my mouth? We all have some wisdom, some have more while some think they have more.

Now, Thoth, would you please bring us back a bit of cheer?

By the way, Freejack, I was not implying that you are a @#$% *&^%. We have others who sometimes carry that mantle. You are one of the more serious no BS types while Thoth is one of the spread the joy types. I am right in the middle of the two of you. I would like to be more like Thoth, but my nature is more serious.

Arkhemedes
06-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Can't we all just get along? Sorry

But seriously, mrken has some good points. To be honest, I'm really not that concerned about what level I am. It really doesn't matter much to me. I don't make posts so that I can earn points (okay, maybe I do the word thingy if I'm really close to moving up). But my reason for making posts is because I truly enjoy the interaction with others on this site. There is however, a tendency for those of us who have more experience on this site to look down or talk down to those of us who have less experience here, regardless of how much real experience we each have with RPGs. And that's unfortunate. Eliminating the levels on this site might eliminate this problem - but I also think it would take away some of the fun as well.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-21-2009, 10:06 AM
There's no fight here guys, Freejack and I have lives, so please don't misread.

My essays are directed towards trolling behavior in general and its discouragement to participating.

If it seems that my essays seem to go beyond the earlier comment, just realize my points are made for and to counter all the other times trollers have tried to derail the General Chatter thread (I'm NOT talking about Freejack here, so don't misread).. Many of you know what i am referring to. Truly, if Farcaster wanted to rid of it, he would have. The fact that the General Chatter thread isnt gone should speak wonders to those that dont care for the thread.

A couple of points:

1) Points for participation and leveling is fun, but i have also advocated getting rid of the system if for no other reason that to quiet the grumps & nay-sayers. Their attitude on what counts and doesn't just discourages site participation, and that is never something you want on a site like this.
2) Also, the hippocracy(sp?) from past threads of those that state they don't care for the General Chatter thread yet are often found participating, and...
3) We are adults here, well, we can all read, anyway... if one doesn't care for the General Chatter thread (the vast majority does, btw), then don't click on it. No one puts a gun to you head to click on it, but trying to control the camaraderie of fellow gamers by finding fault with some topics, or when subject matter goes into other fields (always to return to the topic of gaming, anyway) is absurd and controlling.

Really, in the end, the grumps and the nay-sayers are the ones that truly care about points, leveling, and levels, and not the post monsters & lovers of this site, who are actually just here to socialize with other gamers.

So here is how it is going to go: Either get rid of the General Chatter thread (foolish), and/or get rid of the leveling system, or shut up about it. There is no other option. Any deviation from the three is really just a kind of trolling, and trolling doesn't bring anything positive to these boards.

There are threads that i dont care for or disinterested in, but i dont go on that thread and voice my opinion, i just avoid the thread and respect those that do care for it. That's how we get along, is it not?

I'm seeing this going on right now on another site, where the trolling has gotten so bad that people are just quitting the site, and on another site a few years back where these so called 'lords of the boards' were actually derailing threads for fun, or just to stir up strife. The staff finally had to crack down on these folks for people were quitting said site.

Why is Thoth impassioned? I felt it important that someone defend the poster-participants from trollers, for they don't need to hear your opinions on their comments, and/or subject matter they chose to participate in.

Thoth leaves his mental signature with plenty of synaptic slobber & love. :biggrin:

templeorder
06-21-2009, 10:17 AM
There's an aweful lot of caring for folks who don't. Really, i dont pay much attention to the points system. I hope no one thought my comments were serious. I actually was scared the other day when i found out my level, and i thought "wait, i've only been here for a few months, how can that be right?" For a couple days, i sought out ways to level up but now the novelty has worn off. But its fun for some folks, people like to feel a sense of accomplishment and thats a baromoter thats easy for people. I think it promotes increased level of discussion while lowering the quality sometimes as well. But... meh. Its a community here. Sometimes we get off topic, but the idea is to promote community (ultimately... i think). If all we talked about was technical role playing it may get a bit more dull. I would not advocating cutting anything out right now, not having been here long enough to see long term impacts - in other words, i am not sure i can make an informed decision.... but i like the flavor of this site and am hard pressed to advocate changing anything that a lot of people might grumble over.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Agreed, templeorder. I love the site the way it is, too. The daily increase in membership numbers proves beyond all doubt that the current magick that is in place is working just fine.

nijineko
06-21-2009, 12:11 PM
i suggest instead, that a new sub-forum be added, "the Deck of Randomness" and put thoth as mod for that sub-forum. and move all of his interesting, thought-provoking, informative, trivial, and "what-the-why?" threads there. ^^

we had a vote thread earlier, which i started, and now has been buried so deep that it has exceeded my laziness quotient to click and find again... but i think the consensus was pretty clear-thoth contributes, and (i think, at least) deserves some reward or recognition. let him have a sub forum specifically for all of his interesting threads! =D (btw, i'll still make you that order-of-mulsiphix, knights of the frequent posters award if you want it. =D)

so say i.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-21-2009, 12:22 PM
i suggest instead, that a new sub-forum be added, "the Deck of Randomness" and put thoth as mod for that sub-forum. and move all of his interesting, thought-provoking, informative, trivial, and "what-the-why?" threads there. ^^

we had a vote thread earlier, which i started, and now has been buried so deep that it has exceeded my laziness quotient to click and find again... but i think the consensus was pretty clear-thoth contributes, and (i think, at least) deserves some reward or recognition. let him have a sub forum specifically for all of his interesting threads! =D (btw, i'll still make you that order-of-mulsiphix, knights of the frequent posters award if you want it. =D)

so say i.
Thanks nijineko, but Thoth has no wish for recognition. He just loves to participate.

As far as your comment on "it has exceeded my laziness quotient to click and find again," you had me laughing. I have found times where i wish i knew where a certain thread was to be found, only giving up for the same reasons.

Threads die, so i, for one, am glad many of our old threads get reincarnated, either knowingly, or unknowingly, by other members(no doubt Thoth has also been guilty of this). Besides, it pleases me when i see new versions of my old threads on P&PG. What's my point? Dunno, i'm just in a happy chatty mood today. Probably love. <Please turn your heads when projectile vomiting from my comment> :eek:

Thoth awaits a member to leave the comment 'whipped' on this thread. :laugh:

nijineko
06-22-2009, 03:05 AM
how about a participation sub-forum? i'll skip the reward pic if you really don't want it. ^^

mrken
06-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Our threads do get buried. But thankfully, every now and again, someone new to the forum will find it interesting to go through and read sub-forums in-depth. They find those pearls of wisdom or funny facts, even those threads that have some merit all their own. Even I will dredge up a long buried thread on occasion. My laziness factor is sometimes overwhelmed by my persistent factor.

Freejack
06-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Wow, sorry guys and Thoth-Amon especially. TA is particularly prolific which isn't a problem. I'm on several forums and couldn't tell you what my count is on any of them. It just isn't all that big a deal. If you check, I do participate in several of TA's threads and polls, generally honestly and without rancor. So it really was all in fun (if you recall, I posted a similar poll way back with TA started on the thread creation :D ).

So sorry for stirring things up. I certainly didn't plan on there being any sharp words or hurt feelings.

Carl

Arkhemedes
06-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Wow, sorry guys and Thoth-Amon especially. TA is particularly prolific which isn't a problem. I'm on several forums and couldn't tell you what my count is on any of them. It just isn't all that big a deal. If you check, I do participate in several of TA's threads and polls, generally honestly and without rancor. So it really was all in fun (if you recall, I posted a similar poll way back with TA started on the thread creation :D ).

So sorry for stirring things up. I certainly didn't plan on there being any sharp words or hurt feelings.

Carl
Yeah, you should feel bad. What were you thinking? No wait! I'M JUST KIDDING!

Actually Carl, I couldn't help but wondering as I watched this thread unfold over the weekend, if everyone saw the "Ok, Ok, Kidding, Kidding, Just poking at Thoth-Amon" part of your post in small print. I know I'm guilty of sometimes skipping over the small print. But I think it's a good thing that Thoth is pationate in his beliefs and I don't think anyone took it too seriously (I hope). After all, we're all friends here right?
But next time, just to be sure, maybe you should put the "Kidding, Kidding" part in bigger letters, hehehe.

michael
09-02-2009, 07:03 AM
This thread is really informative in light of the recent rearrangement. i am guessing that this thread helped inspire the Off Topic forum's estrangement of the xp system.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-02-2009, 08:57 AM
I love it when my old threads get reincarnated. I have initiated so many after all, so i find it complimentary. BTW, if anyone ever finds an old thread of mine, feel free to update it and make it your own. I'm cool with that. It's all about gamer camaraderie, after all.

nijineko
09-10-2009, 06:08 PM
hmmmm, i'm tempted to go do a search by creator for threads and find the oldest one of all, just for the hey... ^^

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Ahh, someone has reincarnated my thread, once again. Stupid foolish mortals, forever trying to work pacts with Arch Lich Thoth-Amon.

nijineko
09-11-2009, 01:47 AM
heheheh. not only that, but i dug up what i think is your very first post. ^^ happy un-birthday.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-11-2009, 08:43 AM
I saw that. Pretty cool to reread that post.