PDA

View Full Version : Kotor

Thriondel Half-Elven
04-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Not sure if this is the right spot for this. Seemed apropriate for it to go in Sci-Fi.

I read an interview with Drew Karpyshyn and he said a book based on the KOTOR game would not be realistic because of all the player options.

What do you think?

Goreaddict
04-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I own and have beaten KOTOR 1 and 2 and I think I'd have to agree the amount of information per every move (ex. combat, general tests) would be so high that calculating and remembering just half the details would prove to be way overly complex thus the reason it's a video game, the console can just process the information and move on. It's not impossible though if everything was tremendously simplified from the game, but then again it's been awhile since I've played KOTOR. :D

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Not sure if this is the right spot for this. Seemed apropriate for it to go in Sci-Fi.

I read an interview with Drew Karpyshyn and he said a book based on the KOTOR game would not be realistic because of all the player options.

What do you think?

I am assuming you mean an RPG based on the video game?

I agree however. Most video games would translate poorly into an RPG IF you tried to replicate the video game exactly how it is on-screen.

However the new Star Wars Saga edition RPG has done a pretty good job of handling the KotOR RPG supplement. Even has rules for using implants, new feats similar to the ones in the vg, etc...

If you are interested it would be worth a look.

Thriondel Half-Elven
04-05-2009, 06:34 PM
I am assuming you mean an RPG based on the video game?

I agree however. Most video games would translate poorly into an RPG IF you tried to replicate the video game exactly how it is on-screen.

However the new Star Wars Saga edition RPG has done a pretty good job of handling the KotOR RPG supplement. Even has rules for using implants, new feats similar to the ones in the vg, etc...

If you are interested it would be worth a look.

i was more meaning a novel of the book

tesral
04-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Novels do not have to consider the game rules. They are about the story and the characters. Being that I have written both fiction and RPGs I am in a position to know. If the game has a story, it can be placed into a novel.

Thriondel Half-Elven
04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Novels do not have to consider the game rules. They are about the story and the characters. Being that I have written both fiction and RPGs I am in a position to know. If the game has a story, it can be placed into a novel.

even with all the player options?

I personally think that it can be made into a book. And even considered trying it myself. but seeing as i'm an unagented never published author i think Lucasbooks would burn my manuscript

tesral
04-06-2009, 06:06 PM
even with all the player options?

I personally think that it can be made into a book. And even considered trying it myself. but seeing as i'm an unagented never published author i think Lucasbooks would burn my manuscript

Even with, because they don't matter. And yes, they likely would. It would be returned unopened with force lightning burns all over it.

Thriondel Half-Elven
04-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Even with, because they don't matter. And yes, they likely would. It would be returned unopened with force lightning burns all over it.

Darn that force lightning! Oh well i guess it would still be fun to write:D