PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into the game

Thriondel Half-Elven
04-04-2009, 01:18 PM
I will soon be starting a new game with my old gaming group from a couple of years ago. and of course with a couple new additions. One being Chi.

Anyhoo. none of us have really played in a long while. so where should i start?

wizarddog
04-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Assuming you are wanting to play 3.5 version of D&D (That is what you placed in your thread) it will depend on where you left off on D&D.

1. Wizards still has many support docs and adventures in it's online archive (you will have to sort it through all the 4e crap from last year). They don't "officially" support it anymore.

2. Familiarize with the rules in the PHB which includes all the race, spell, class, and combat information. That will be the brunt of the changes from earlier editions. Though I must confess I really never played 2e much as 1e and 3e. Finding a 3.5 PHB maybe a little tricky unless you buy off someone else. The DMG and Monster manual would be good.

3. As an Alternative you can play Pathfinder from Pazio which is "D&D 3.75". Rules are free.

Let me know if you need "more". ;)

wizarddog

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
As wizarddog has said, Paizo's Pathfinder 3.75 is free. They've done some nice tweaking with the rules. Check it out when you find the time.

mrken
04-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Man, you didn't miss much time. Nice move. ;)

As for where you should start. How about you start where you left off, sort of. Age all the old players and have the players play the children of the old PC's. Some new threats, some old NPC's and some new and old boss monsters. "My dad warned me about you!" lol

Grimwell
04-05-2009, 10:08 AM
I'd start off brainstorming with your players about the type of game everyone wants to have.

Getting back up to speed with the rules won't be a challenge for very long; but getting together an idea of the setting and adventures that everyone wants, and then doing the work to make it ready... that's always a challenge and the sooner you know what you want to do the sooner you can start it!

Thriondel Half-Elven
04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks all!

Assuming you are wanting to play 3.5 version of D&D (That is what you placed in your thread) it will depend on where you left off on D&D.

1. Wizards still has many support docs and adventures in it's online archive (you will have to sort it through all the 4e crap from last year). They don't "officially" support it anymore.

2. Familiarize with the rules in the PHB which includes all the race, spell, class, and combat information. That will be the brunt of the changes from earlier editions. Though I must confess I really never played 2e much as 1e and 3e. Finding a 3.5 PHB maybe a little tricky unless you buy off someone else. The DMG and Monster manual would be good.

3. As an Alternative you can play Pathfinder from Pazio which is "D&D 3.75". Rules are free.

Let me know if you need "more". ;)

wizarddog

Where do i find pathfinder?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks all!

Where do i find pathfinder?
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

agoraderek
04-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I would recommend sticking with base 3x and cherry picking from the Pathfinder Beta for now. The Beta was designed to be somewhat "out there" (it's a playtest document, after all), to test the limits, so to speak. When Pathfinder RPG is released in August, a lot of the changes in the beta will be removed or different.

Also, if you're going to use the beta, get all of the web enhancements available for it, and sift through the play test threads, as quite a few of the changes that might appear in the final rules were posted by Jason.