PDA

View Full Version : Old Cartoons

GoddessGood
04-02-2009, 10:25 AM
After years (literally) of searching, my sister finally found a cartoon we both vaguely recalled loving as kids. All we could remember is that there was a magic, glowing feather and a blue donkey in it. So imagine my surprise when she found the thing, called The Magic Pony or The Humpbacked Pony depending on if you have the '70's english dub or the '30's Russian version.

Finding it has encouraged me to go looking for all those obscure cartoons I used to watch when I was little. We had a shoddy movie store near us called Movie Land where they had a kids section full of old, strange and foreign cartoons. Some of the ones I've found are:

Twelve Months: A Japanese animation of a Slavic Cinderella-style fairy tale.
Flight of Dragons: A cartoon about a board game designer who becomes the hero in his own fantasy world
The Last Unicorn: Fantasy tale about (you guessed it) the last unicorn in the world
The Wild Swans: Another fairy tale about a young girl who must make sweaters out nettles to save her 11 brothers from a witch's curse
The Secret of Nimh: A story about a colony of mice and rats on a rural farm and their fight for survival.

I'm still looking for one cartoon whose title I cannot remember. It was in color and the story was about a group of boys from a school that are shipwrecked on an island. Eventually a woman washes up on shore and she cooks for them and mends their clothes and such. She is a survivor of a pirate attack on her ship, and the pirates come looking for her. I think she had their treasure map or something. The boys defeat the pirates by setting booby traps in the tree-top city they built and eventually they are rescued. There's also a grizzly nightmare sequence where one of the boys dreams that they will all grow old and die on the island. Anyone know what cartoon this is?

What cartoons do you remember from your childhood?

RMajere
04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
I totally have Flight of Dragons and Secret of Nimh.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's obsessed with old cartoons. I also ended up with Care Bears movies, the ones that nobody knows about, like the Nutcracker Suite Christmas Special they did. Or the Adventures in Wonderland. I also own the Chipmunk Adventure, where they go around the world in hot air balloons...

I've read the story of the swans one, but I've only ever found it as a children's storybook.

And everyone thought I was weird...

yukonhorror
04-02-2009, 10:45 AM
one I can't find is phantom tollbooth.

It is about this kid who is lazy, and he goes through the phantom tollbooth and learns the powers of math and reading. Kind of a hokey message, but I still watched it all the time.

GoddessGood
04-02-2009, 10:51 AM
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's obsessed with old cartoons. I also ended up with Care Bears movies, the ones that nobody knows about, like the Nutcracker Suite Christmas Special they did. Or the Adventures in Wonderland. I also own the Chipmunk Adventure, where they go around the world in hot air balloons...
I totally remember both of those :D

And everyone thought I was weird...
Hehe, remember where you are RMajere. You're among people just as weird as you ;)

RMajere
04-02-2009, 10:54 AM
I've been searching for the phantom tollbooth for years! If you find a copy let me know, or copy it and send it to me!

I've been thinking for awhile now that I could collect these movies and things, and get the rights to put them on DVD and sell them. I don't know how successful it'd be, but I would like it.

yukonhorror
04-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Another one is the california raisins thing that was on CBS ages ago. It was kind of like behind the music before there was a behind the music.

I check netflix and youtube periodically, but no luck on phantom tollbooth. I used to have it recored on VHS, but got lost somehow.

Ashene
04-02-2009, 11:18 AM
I used to watch Thundercats, He-man, She-ra and I might have come across the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon once or twice. I also vividly remember Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite and My Little Pony.

There are a lot of others...and I did watch the Care Bears...Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Smurfs...to name a few.

I'm pretty sure I can remember a lot more, but I can't think right now. :confused:

yukonhorror
04-02-2009, 11:24 AM
i heard with the success of the transformers movie, they are making a live-action thundercats movie.

I also remember silverhawks and this cartoon that had a different short each night. There were four choices. Karate Kat, Monster camp, can't remember the 3rd one, and there was one like thundercats and silverhawks, but it had to do with anthropomorphic sea creatures (the leader was a shark, the chick was an octopus).

RMajere
04-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh! Does anybody remember Widget the World Watcher? Little purple alien guy who shapeshifts into animals to help a group of kids become more environmentally conscious? Before Captain Planet...

Or the Wuzzles? I can't even explain them well, you'll just have to look them up!

I totally did the Smurfs, Snorks, He-Man, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (before they got all weird, have you seen them now?)

OOO how about Pirates of Dark Water? Anybody?

GoddessGood
04-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I used to watch Thundercats, He-man, She-ra and I might have come across the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon once or twice. I also vividly remember Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite and My Little Pony.

There are a lot of others...and I did watch the Care Bears...Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Smurfs...to name a few.

I'm pretty sure I can remember a lot more, but I can't think right now. :confused:

I totally did the Smurfs, Snorks, He-Man, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (before they got all weird, have you seen them now?)

I remember all of these. I'll add Jem! to the pile and that dinosaur one that used to come on before Quantum Leap. All the characters had dinosaur or bone related names and they fought ... something or other. I just remember there was an allosaur because I had to go look those up in my encyclopedia :nerd:

On non-TV cartoons, does anyone remember An American Tale? I occasionally sing "There Are No Cats in America" to my two cats for my own amusement :). I'm sure they think I'm nuts, but they just don't understand me.

i heard with the success of the transformers movie, they are making a live-action thundercats movie.
I don't know whether to be happy or disgusted.

yukonhorror
04-02-2009, 11:47 AM
i remember american tale and all dogs go to heaven were scary.

The other scary one, when the heffalumps and woozles visit pooh bear. Always had to fast forward through that part.

Cartoons now a days are crap.

TAROT
04-02-2009, 11:54 AM
"Danger lurking everywhere,
But we know we have to dare,
Evil men with evil schemes,
They can't destroy our dreams."

"We must be strong and brave,
Our home, we've got to save,
If we don't, in just one year,
Mother Earth will disappear."

GoddessGood
04-02-2009, 11:59 AM
i remember american tale and all dogs go to heaven were scary.

The other scary one, when the heffalumps and woozles visit pooh bear. Always had to fast forward through that part.

Cartoons now a days are crap.
Chaaarliieeee ... You can never come baaaaack!

"Danger lurking everywhere,
But we know we have to dare,
Evil men with evil schemes,
They can't destroy our dreams."

"We must be strong and brave,
Our home, we've got to save,
If we don't, in just one year,
Mother Earth will disappear."
What's this from?

cpljarhead
04-02-2009, 12:11 PM
i remember those all too. i have all the d&d cartoons on dvd as well. but i bet you cant remember this even though it really wasnt a cartoon: sigmund the sea monster. i got that one too.

RMajere
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
...and that dinosaur one that used to come on before Quantum Leap. All the characters had dinosaur or bone related names and they fought ... something or other. ...

What was this one, I have vague memories of this one. Also there was some sort of a dinosaur one with a green (to use a term from my childhood) long-neck? Anybody recall this?

Also, I just bought All Dogs Go to Heaven on DVD, along with Secret of NIMH on DVD.

Also, there was a Peter Pan cartoon, that wasn't based off the disney one. I think Tim Curry voiced Capt. Hook?

How about Swat Kats?

Sascha
04-02-2009, 01:44 PM
What was this one, I have vague memories of this one. Also there was some sort of a dinosaur one with a green (to use a term from my childhood) long-neck? Anybody recall this?
Denver, the Last Dinosaur (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190178/)?

GoddessGood
04-02-2009, 02:03 PM
No, it doesn't look familiar. I think it might have been Dinosaucers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213341/fullcredits#cast)

Sascha
04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
No, it doesn't look familiar. I think it might have been Dinosaucers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213341/fullcredits#cast)
Aw, heck ... I totally forgot about that one~

Of course, if we're talking cartoon dinosaur-ish things, there is simply no match for Dinosaur Neil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur_Neil); not even giant trousers can stop him :D
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Also, there was a Peter Pan cartoon, that wasn't based off the disney one. I think Tim Curry voiced Capt. Hook?
Peter Pan and the Pirates (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098891/)

RMajere
04-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Ok, so it was Denver the last Dinosaur that I was thinking of. Also, Peter Pan and the Pirates was exactly what I was thinking of. I just couldn't remember Jason Marsden. Also, who knew that Tony Jay did a voice in that series too.

spotlight
04-02-2009, 04:01 PM
I remember one from ages ago. It was a Hercules cartoon that had some lovly theme music, which still haunts me now and again. I don't think it even lasted a full season, but one of the bad guys/girls in it looked a lot like the seshag from those old sixties Pop-eye cartoons. Of course, I was a child then and could be remembering wrong about the badie, but the side kick was a small centaur that acted much like Jar-Jar.

GoddessGood
04-02-2009, 04:46 PM
I remember one from ages ago. It was a Hercules cartoon that had some lovly theme music, which still haunts me now and again. I don't think it even lasted a full season, but one of the bad guys/girls in it looked a lot like the seshag from those old sixties Pop-eye cartoons. Of course, I was a child then and could be remembering wrong about the badie, but the side kick was a small centaur that acted much like Jar-Jar.
Do you mean the disney hercules? I think I caught an episode of that ... of course I could be crazy. It has happened before.

Sascha
04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
The Mighty Hercules (http://www.tvparty.com/herc.html)?

I also remember silverhawks and this cartoon that had a different short each night. There were four choices. Karate Kat, Monster camp, can't remember the 3rd one, and there was one like thundercats and silverhawks, but it had to do with anthropomorphic sea creatures (the leader was a shark, the chick was an octopus).

Took a while to track this one down: The Comic Strip (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246512/), with TigerSharks.

Envikin
04-02-2009, 10:32 PM
My wife bought some strange Japanese movie about a unicorn that saves something like toyland. It may be Unico's Island. I'll ask her tomorrow.
The Secret of Nymh is a great movie. I've seen the sequel but it isn't that good.
Did they ever finish the Dark Water series? I was totally intrigued by the story as a child but never got any closure... :pout:

TAROT
04-02-2009, 11:11 PM
What's this from?

"We're off to outer space,
We're leaving Mother Earth,
To save the human race,
Our Star Blazers.

RMajere
04-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally the Pirates of Dark Water was just supposed to be a 3 part mini series, but they expanded it to an actual cartoon series.

However they only went to, like, treasures 7 or 8 out of the whole 13.

No closure was ever had, but I think with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and stuff, that it might be a good time for that to make a comeback. Especially since some of us would really benefit from the closure!

GoddessGood
04-03-2009, 02:14 PM
My wife bought some strange Japanese movie about a unicorn that saves something like toyland. It may be Unico's Island. I'll ask her tomorrow.
That one gave me nightmares, especially that strange puppet witch thing.

Does anyone remember Wheel Warriors? I can still hear the theme song in my head *hums*

Freejack
04-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Bambi Meets Godzilla. Got it on VHS :D

I have The Secret of NIMH as well. I didn't get into the 80's cartoons though so no real good memories of any of them. I wouldn't mind getting the uncut Looney Toons ones though, the ones from the 60's.

Carl

Sascha
04-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Does anyone remember Wheel Warriors? I can still hear the theme song in my head *hums*
Oh, that one sounds really familiar ...

What about Turbo Teen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_Teen)? (And why the heck do I even remember shows like this? :P)

I wouldn't mind getting the uncut Looney Toons ones though, the ones from the 60's.
Pretty much anything directed by Chuck Jones was gold ^_^

spotlight
04-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Heads up Sascha! That is exactly the Herc I recall. Never saw it in color, nice link. Notice how the drawing of Herc looks a bit like some of the old Superman comic books? I would almost bet its the same artist.

Sascha
04-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Heads up Sascha! That is exactly the Herc I recall. Never saw it in color, nice link. Notice how the drawing of Herc looks a bit like some of the old Superman comic books? I would almost bet its the same artist.
Information Age, how I <3 thee. Honestly, I'm not sure what I'd do without them anymore, heh.

And now for my next trick, pulling a rabbit out of the moon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishoujo_Senshi_Sailor_Moon)~!

Seriously, Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon was my favorite series evar ('til Card Captor Sakura, that is; so much cute~), even through the unfortunate implications that came with the S/Super S dubs :P

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Underdog Rules the Universe. Need i say more?

http://www.dawnshosting.com/~cindy/underdog.jpg

Dimthar
04-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Most of what I remember is already listed here...

...while digging a little before I posted I found that these anime series were not shown or as popular as in the rest of the world (In my case Mexico):

Candy Candy (which my wife loves ...What a Drama?! Unfortunately in spanish was dubbed with Argentinan accent ;) che!

Nobody's Boy: Remi (he was worse than the death plague!, town he visited, town that suffered a catastrophe!)

Monarch: The big bear of Tallac (I liked this one, just found out the story was in Lake Tahoe)

These were typical Japanese Dramas .. I guess it was until Dragon Ball Z hit Mexican TVs that they finally stopped re-running those series.

GoddessGood
04-08-2009, 10:09 AM
These were typical Japanese Dramas .. I guess it was until Dragon Ball Z hit Mexican TVs that they finally stopped re-running those series.
Dragon Ball Z made my soul ache. I never understood it, never really cared to, but all my (male) friends were crazy into it. I wrote it off the same way I wrote off Magic: the Gathering and neither seem to have done me any harm.

Anybody remember all those Rankin and Bass Christmas specials? Do they still play those anymore?

Simplydone
04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I actually got the 25th anniversary D&D cartoon on DVD. I spend two weekends just sitting at my TV watching each episode. The cool part is that they did create a series finale episode but it was never produced only the script exists so they created a radio play around it. I was stunned and after hearing it felt a good deal of closure with the entire series. This is what storytelling should be like.

Nojatut! That was an awesome series too bad it got wierd near the end. I loved Swat Kats too the Radical squadron! I think I have the theme song on MP3.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Dragon Ball Z made my soul ache. I never understood it, never really cared to, but all my (male) friends were crazy into it. I wrote it off the same way I wrote off Magic: the Gathering and neither seem to have done me any harm.

Anybody remember all those Rankin and Bass Christmas specials? Do they still play those anymore?
I love those Rankin and Bass Christmas specials. I not only own a set, i sent sets to relatives. Very cool. I believe i purchased mine at Best Buy.

Sascha
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Yeah, shōnen fighting series can be like that; some are good (the first three Bleach arcs are danged awesome), but some drag on with little or no substance to the flash. The original Dragon Ball I remember being rather fun; Z/GT, not as much - I think the climax fight is still being fought somewhere :P

Simplydone
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM

I never got into Dragonball Z it just seems like the creators were tired of actual plot and decided just to spend whole episodes on the characters taunting their foes and powering up. I did however love Dragon Quest which was created by the same artist that was AWESOME! Not to mention Robotech which got me hooked on Macross which pushed me to Bubblegum Crisis and all those great 80's and 90's anime shows. :D

Information Age, how I <3 thee. Honestly, I'm not sure what I'd do without them anymore, heh.

And now for my next trick, pulling a rabbit out of the moon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishoujo_Senshi_Sailor_Moon)~!

Seriously, Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon was my favorite series evar ('til Card Captor Sakura, that is; so much cute~), even through the unfortunate implications that came with the S/Super S dubs :P

I must admit, as a young man, yes I too was hooked on Sailor Moon. Of course that was because it was sooo funny at the time.

Anyone remember Mysterious Cities of Gold? What about Ewoks? Voltron anyone? or even dare I say Astro Boy? How anyone can forget a kid with machine guns in his buttocks I'll never know. :)

Sascha
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I never got into Dragonball Z it just seems like the creators were tired of actual plot and decided just to spend whole episodes on the characters taunting their foes and powering up.
That's one of the main tropes of the genre: the aptly-named Inaction Sequence (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InactionSequence) :P And yes, Z/GT abused the heck out of it.

I did however love Dragon Quest which was created by the same artist that was AWESOME!
Toriyama's art style is, indeed, quite good ^_^

tesral
04-08-2009, 01:01 PM

A set of those, the Peanut's Holiday specials. And Kimba the White Lion, found at Dearborn Music. That was a must buy.

Let us not forget the Loony Toons. You have to have Loony Toons. I have Gold Collections 1-5.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
I picked up all those old cartoons years ago. Ahh, good viewing.

GoddessGood
04-08-2009, 05:39 PM
I keep meaning to pick up a copy of the rankin and bass stuff. The looney tunes ones I'm not so interested in. While they were the main reason to get up on saturday mornings as a kid, I've seen all the good ones at least a hundred times apiece.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Best Buy carries plenty during the Holidays. I make it a rule to watch them every year, as well as the Charlie Browns, It's a Wonderful LIfe, Bishops Wife, and many more. Wouldnt be the holidays without them.

tesral
04-08-2009, 11:35 PM
I keep meaning to pick up a copy of the rankin and bass stuff. The looney tunes ones I'm not so interested in. While they were the main reason to get up on saturday mornings as a kid, I've seen all the good ones at least a hundred times apiece.

Well you have and you haven't. For an obsessive Saturday toon watcher like myself the Gold Collections are worth the buck. Wide screen, like they were made. Full rich color, And stuff that never showed up on the TV.

Besides. I cannot see my self getting too much "Rabbit of Sevile".

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Well you have and you haven't. For an obsessive Saturday toon watcher like myself the Gold Collections are worth the buck. Wide screen, like they were made. Full rich color, And stuff that never showed up on the TV.

Saturday morning cartoons were incredible since the late 1970's. It's just gone downhill from then. I know tesral, being an immortal, has my back on this.

GoddessGood
04-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Best Buy carries plenty during the Holidays. I make it a rule to watch them every year, as well as the Charlie Browns, It's a Wonderful LIfe, Bishops Wife, and many more. Wouldnt be the holidays without them.
Would you believe I still have never seen It's a Wonderful Life?

After watching Johnny Dep and Helena Bonham Carter on the big screen, it gets hard to watch. I dunno, I'm just too squeamish. Shouldn't have gone to see the dang thing in the first place.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Would you believe I still have never seen It's a Wonderful Life?

After watching Johnny Dep and Helena Bonham Carter on the big screen, it gets hard to watch. I dunno, I'm just too squeamish. Shouldn't have gone to see the dang thing in the first place.
Then you need to purchase It's a Wonderful Life, snuggle up with your partner around the holidays, and get ready for a very, merry, memorable, timeless, xmas classic.

Kaewin
04-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I love that movie. They had it on Christmas eve and we watched the whole thing before I had to do HO HO HO.

Sascha
04-09-2009, 10:08 AM
What's Opera, Doc?~! Or Operation: Rabbit.

Then you need to purchase It's a Wonderful Life, snuggle up with your partner around the holidays, and get ready for a very, merry, memorable, timeless, xmas classic.
Or A Muppet Christmas Carol. One of the few traditional holiday films I watch every year ;)

tesral
04-09-2009, 10:27 AM

Johnny Dep" His parents weren't thoguht of when that was made.

I love that movie. They had it on Christmas eve and we watched the whole thing before I had to do HO HO HO.

Gardening in December?

What's Opera, Doc?~! Or Operation: Rabbit.
Or A Muppet Christmas Carol. One of the few traditional holiday films I watch every year ;)

Any of the old Warner toons. I do currently have 20 DVDs of the classic Warner stuff.

The Muppet stuff is always fun. They take just abut anything and twist it in that Muppet way. Muppet Treasure Island is one of my favorites. "How does she do that!?"

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Johnny Dep" His parents weren't thoguht of when that was made.

Gardening in December?

Any of the old Warner toons. I do currently have 20 DVDs of the classic Warner stuff.

The Muppet stuff is always fun. They take just abut anything and twist it in that Muppet way. Muppet Treasure Island is one of my favorites. "How does she do that!?"
P&PG slumber party at tesrals house! Everyone bring the sodas, someone order pizza, rip open those 20 Warner dvds, just tell us which day to arrive.

Sascha
04-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Still haven't seen Muppet Treasure Island :redface: But dangit, it's on my list~ :P Have they put The Great Muppet Caper out on DVD yet? The only classic Muppet film we don't have, /sigh

"We'll catch them red-handed!"
"What color are their hands now?"

Kaewin
04-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I think so, Disney was releasing them for a while.

tesral
04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
P&PG slumber party at tesrals house! Everyone bring the sodas, someone order pizza, rip open those 20 Warner dvds, just tell us which day to arrive.

You're buying the pizza.

Pile them in in front of the big 47 inch widescreen and have a time.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 10:39 AM
You're buying the pizza.

Pile them in in front of the big 47 inch widescreen and have a time.
Very nice, tesral. You got a deal. Okay everyone, you heard 'em... put in your pizza, bread stick, and wings requests early!

GoddessGood
04-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Meh, you live where it's cold. I shiver just thinking about sub-zero temperatures. My b/f has been trying to plant the subtle hint about moving to Canada in the future, to which I responded "Have a nice trip."

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Meh, you live where it's cold. I shiver just thinking about sub-zero temperatures. My b/f has been trying to plant the subtle hint about moving to Canada in the future, to which I responded "Have a nice trip."
You aught to do it, at least for a couple of years. It would be a cool-no pun intended-experience for you both. Life is short, experiencing foreign lands, even Canada, is always a good thing. Besides, it gives you a 10% to level up.

tesral
04-09-2009, 11:01 AM

Live in the Great Lakes area me whole life. Love a White Christmas, a good brisk day in the 20s, even if you do have to button the top button on your shirt. Change, I like the change. Variable weather is nice. I think one thing day in and day out would drive me nuts.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
This is something i missed with Fairfax, Virginia. I loved the white winters. Living in Ca., it's just not the same. Oh sure, it's always cool going to the beach, but it just doesnt give off the Christmas feel. ...same with Palm Trees, but i digress.

GoddessGood
04-09-2009, 11:16 AM
You aught to do it, at least for a couple of years. It would be a cool-no pun intended-experience for you both. Life is short, experiencing foreign lands, even Canada, is always a good thing. Besides, it gives you a 10% to level up.
The problem is finding work. I work as a defense contractor. Last I checked, Canada doesn't have a standing military.

Live in the Great Lakes area me whole life. Love a White Christmas, a good brisk day in the 20s, even if you do have to wear three extra layers. Change, I like the change. Variable weather is nice. I think one thing day in and day out would drive me nuts.
Fixed it for you :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 11:33 AM
The problem is finding work. I work as a defense contractor. Last I checked, Canada doesn't have a standing military.

But the do have a military. Check out their sites, you might be surprised.

tesral
04-09-2009, 11:35 AM

Maybe for you. I grew up here.

GoddessGood
04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I've spent my entire life on the southern border. Dallas is too cold for me

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I go to Padre Island every summer. Ah, good times.

tesral
04-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I go to Padre Island every summer. Ah, good times.

I hear you can't move there for all the priests.

Kaewin
04-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I've lived all over the US, I like Va the best, nice mild winter non scorching summer. The only real hold over I miss from New England is the white christmases. Of course I hate to shovel. And mow but my older daughter turns 14 and this year she learns to mow1 Buwahahaha:whip:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I, too, have lived all over the United States, and have found Fairfax, Va., the most memorable and enjoyable, but there were plenty of close seconds.

GoddessGood
04-09-2009, 01:37 PM
This is the reason I've considered moving to the outer banks. It's about midway between north and south and on the coast, which tends to moderate the temperature swings. I also miss the beach as I'm used to living an hour inland from Padre Island (which isn't as cool as it used to be, apparently). And there is a high-tech presence in Raleigh/Durham that I could jump aboard.

spotlight
04-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Good Grief! From cartoon fav's to the weather, how do you guys do it?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 02:32 PM
High level experience is the secret, my friend.

Kaewin
04-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Sacha they do have the muppet movie out on DVD by Disney, my kids Disney movie club came in yesterday and they are there.

Simplydone
04-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Akira best dang animation from Japan ever! Nuff said.

Kaewin
04-13-2009, 02:02 PM
I loved Akira.

GoddessGood
04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Multi-classing.

Has anybody mentioned Transformers yet?

Simplydone
04-14-2009, 03:38 PM
No but please don't My goodness I loved Transformers as a kid but when I went back and watched a few episodes as a college student I could only think: "Wow! This bites! I must have been high on something to enjoy it."

Then of course I watched Evangelion cause my friends said it was awesome and got my poor brain jacked three ways to sunday with the ending. Though apparently after multiple viewings, one done sitting upside down while meditating, I had an epiphany and got it.

yukonhorror
04-14-2009, 04:13 PM
has anybody mention teddy ruxpin (sp?)? I hated that one. That and those stupid cartoons from books they had on sat. mornings.

GoddessGood
04-14-2009, 04:23 PM
No but please don't My goodness I loved Transformers as a kid but when I went back and watched a few episodes as a college student I could only think: "Wow! This bites! I must have been high on something to enjoy it."
I felt very much the same way when I went back and tried to watch the original Sailor Moon cartoons.

Teddy Ruxpin was something I tried to watch but never got my hands on more than one of the cartoons. Something more obscure: The Charmkins. Don't know if anyone else ever saw it, but it was about as cutesy as Strawberry Shortcake.

tesral
04-14-2009, 05:13 PM
I felt very much the same way when I went back and tried to watch the original Sailor Moon cartoons.

I understand from fans of the genre that the US broadcast Sailor Moon was chopped to Hell and back by the sensors. Hearsay mind you. I've never watched it.

Teddy Ruxpin was something I tried to watch but never got my hands on more than one of the cartoons. Something more obscure: The Charmkins. Don't know if anyone else ever saw it, but it was about as cutesy as Strawberry Shortcake.

As a parent I resented anything produced to sell a toy. Strawberry Shortcake was insipid enough to rot your teeth. You can add ponies and bears to that pile too.

Sascha
04-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Then of course I watched Evangelion cause my friends said it was awesome and got my poor brain jacked three ways to sunday with the ending.
This is, in fact, the point of the show. Watch FLCL or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann for much needed brain bleach, if ya haven't already. ^_^ (Evangelion is a deconstruction of giant robots; TTGL is the reconstruction, cranked to 11.)

I understand from fans of the genre that the US broadcast Sailor Moon was chopped to Hell and back by the sensors. Hearsay mind you. I've never watched it.
Yes; yes, it was - in the S and Super S arcs, at least. Earlier seasons had a few instances of gender-swapping (Zoisite in the first story arc, goes from male in Japanese to female in English), and there was that one episode where Usagi gets tipsy from "fruit juice." Not really 'to hell and back,' but the media watchdogs were hovering.

The butchering really got into gear in the S arc, with the introduction of Sailors Uranus and Neptune. The dialogue changed to make them, erm, cousins ... but the animation wasn't edited, heh. (We're lucky they didn't even try to bring the last arc, Stars, over; practically combines all the previous "offenses" in the Starlights :P)

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Ugh, tried to see if I could get my grubby paws on the sailor moon cartoons online with no luck. Nobody seems to be hosting them (at least not in a savory fashion). Gonna have to buy the suckers from overseas, it seems.

RMajere
04-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Ok, so does anyone remember/have a copy/know where I can get a copy of the old loony tunes christmas stuff. I remember one really old one where bugs and his nephew are reading a book and Taz is being flown overhead in a plane, and ends up dressed as santa clause....?

How about the looney tunes christmas carol?

Anybody remember Casper, the old cartoon one before the Christina Ricci movie? I finally found a copy of Caspers First Christmas.

How about Buttons and Rusty? Then there were the Grimm's Fairy Tales cartoons, David the Gnome, the Littles, Heathcliff the cartoon.

How about the other grinch movies, like the one about Grinch Night (which I just saw they now have on DVD) or the one where the Grinch and the Cat in the Hat have a sort of fight (which is also on the same DVD)

Since Christmas stuff was mentioned, I'm actually trying to create a compliation of my fav. Rankin Bass Christmas Specials, along with a whole bunch of others, on one DVD. I think it might be easier just to buy them though...

Anybody remember cartoons like Thundaar the Barbarian, or Shazaan? Or the Arabian Knights, which was a cartoon short on the Banana Splits show? But that might be going back too far.

How about the Mario Bros. cartoon?

Does anybody remember the one cartoon with Link and the kid who got sucked into the game but got to use the old NES gun as a weapon?

How do I remember this stuff???

yukonhorror
04-15-2009, 10:25 AM
i do remember all of the nintendo cartoons. Especially the legend of zelda and mario bros.

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Reboot!

tesral
04-15-2009, 10:53 AM
All of this is way too new. The old Hanna Barbara stuff was my childhood. Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw corny stuff like that. Johnny Quest, Josie and the Pussycats, The Beetles Cartoon, George of the Jungle. I always liked the Wacky Races segments. Who can forget, Rocky and Bullwinkle.

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Rocky and Bullwinkle always frustrated me. It was the "Join us next time for X or Y" bits. You'd go to the next episode and it wouldn't be called either thing. I dunno, maybe I'm weird that way.

Another Hanna Barbera cartoon was bible related and my mom used to try and hunt them down for me (a bible-related cartoon? That I liked? Sign her up). It was called The Greatest Adventure: Stories from the Bible. A couple of kids on an archaeological dig get trapped in a secret passageway and find a door "with a strange inscription: All who enter these portals pass through time!" They go back in time and participate in bible stories like Samson and Delilah and Daniel and the Lion's Den.

yukonhorror
04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
All of the hanna barbara stuff seems so mainstream classic. Especially because of boomerang.

Most of the cartoons mentioned on this topic (in my perception) have been fairly non-mainstream/80's.

Honestly, I always LOVED pink panther and tom and Jerry. Those were my favorites. But again, that is stuff people can't forget. It's easy to forget silverhawks or strawberry shortcake.

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 02:33 PM
What makes the difference between mainstream and non-mainstream? Are 80's cartoons non-mainstream?

yukonhorror
04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
that came out wrong.

What I meant is if you asked some 10-yr old today, he has a good chance of knowing what looney toons and some classic HB cartoons are. If you ask him about thundercats, he may give you a dumb look.

tesral
04-15-2009, 03:08 PM
that came out wrong.

What I meant is if you asked some 10-yr old today, he has a good chance of knowing what looney toons and some classic HB cartoons are. If you ask him about thundercats, he may give you a dumb look.

If you ask the average ten you old anything you get a dumb look.

yukonhorror
04-15-2009, 03:26 PM
probably true.

There is a new cartoon I actually enjoy though:

Xiolin Showdown (sp?) It's kind of fun/silly.

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 03:31 PM
haha, the only time I ever got to see Xaolin showdown was when my car broke down over the summer in Austin ... 3 years ago? Turns out that when the previous owner said he'd rebuilt the engine, he neglected to mention that he'd wired it all up with speaker wire. I was in there for a few hours that day.

Sascha
04-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Yep, Xiaolin Showdown was a fun show. Speaking of newer cartoons: 6Teen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6teen) is a not-so-guilty pleasure - classic sitcom situations, with a Canadian accent~ (and Ron the Security Guard is totally Chris Walken ^_^)

GoddessGood
04-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Asterix and Obelix. A cartoon I've always meant to watch due to the rousing support from a buddy of mine, but never got my hands on.

tesral
04-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Asterix and Obelix. A cartoon I've always meant to watch due to the rousing support from a buddy of mine, but never got my hands on.

I love the books. I have only seem (badly) one of the films.

Sascha
04-16-2009, 12:29 PM
"We're. Ready. To. Party!

We're ready to party; we're ready. (bum bum!)
I hope you bring lots of spaghetti. (bum bum!)

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends.
Come on in, it's time to party with Garfield and Friends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield_and_friends)."

The sick part? I didn't need to look that up, /sigh :\

GoddessGood
04-16-2009, 01:11 PM
"We're. Ready. To. Party!

We're ready to party; we're ready. (bum bum!)
I hope you bring lots of spaghetti. (bum bum!)

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends.
Come on in, it's time to party with Garfield and Friends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield_and_friends)."

The sick part? I didn't need to look that up, /sigh :\
Good lord. That's going to be stuck in my head forever. Quick! I must parry with the Doug theme song which is ... less easy to type :(

tesral
04-16-2009, 01:33 PM
I consider this the justification for everything Kipling ever wrote. I consider it working instructions for writing Star Trek, or for that matter, living life. If you can find it Leslie Fish did a wonderful tune to this song.

The Hymn of Breaking Strain

The careful text-books measure
(Let all who build beware!)
The load, the shock, the pressure
Material can bear.
So, when the buckled girder
Lets down the grinding span,
The blame of loss, or murder,
Is laid upon the man.
Not of the Stuff - the Man!

But, in our daily dealing
With stone and steel, we find
The Gods have no such feeling
Of justice toward mankind.
To no set guage they make us, -
For no laid course prepare -
And presently o'ertake us
With loads we cannot bear:
To merciless to bear.

The prudent text-books give it
In tables at the end -
The stress that shears a rivet
Or makes a tie-bar bend -
What traffic wrecks macadam -
What concrete should endure -
But we, poor Sons of Adam,
Have no such literaure,
To warn us or make sure!

We hold all Earth to plunder -
All Time and Space as well -
Too wonder-stale to wonder
At each new miracle;
Till in the mid-illusion
Of Godhead 'neath our hand,
Falls multiple confusion
On all we did or planned -
The mighty works we planned.

We only of Creation
(Oh, luckier bridge and rail!)
Abide the twin-damnation -
To fail and know we fail.
Yet we - by which sole token
We know we once were Gods -
Take shame in being broken
However great the odds -
The Burden or the Odds.

Oh, veiled and secret Power
Whose paths we seek in vain,
Be with us in our hour
Of overthrow and pain;
That we - by which sure token
We know Thy ways are true -
In spite of being broken,
Because of being broken,
May rise and build anew.
Stand up and build anew!

The Hymn of Breaking Strain -- Rudyard Kipling 1935

GoddessGood
04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
It is now also posted in my office, next to a scrawled note on my whiteboard which says:

"ennjinia ja nai
shouboshi desu"

I am not an engineer, I am a firefighter (in informal japanese).

Sascha
04-16-2009, 03:15 PM
昨日ゴジラは東京を食べました。
"Kinou Gojira wa Toukyou (w)o tabemashita." - Yesterday, Godzilla ate Tokyo.

One of the fun things learned in high school Japanese ^_^

GoddessGood
04-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Ugh, so jealous. We were required to take at least one year of a foreign language, "encouraged" (read: the counselors would sign you up for one without telling you) to take a second year and if you wanted to graduate above the general masses you had to take a 3rd year. This would have been cool ... if we'd been given a choice of what language to take. We had only spanish class. Rumor had it that we had once had one french teacher (to the 4 or 5 spanish teachers) but that she failed to pass her fluency test and was fired. Me, I would have loved to take a German or French class, and for a while there was a push in the student body for a Japanese class ... but that never took for long.

Sascha
04-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Shoreline, WA, high schools were awesome for that; had I been thinking, I'd have taken both years while up there, alas ...

When I moved to California, the new school had Latin (yay!) ... but limited it to the current students and Latin II. Spanish - not the same (though the "Soy Picasso!" joke in Toy Story was funnier; not sure the rest of the class got it, /sigh). Cruel joke that it was, they brought Latin back the year after I escaped, argh.

mnemenoi
04-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Am I the first to mention Watership Down? or Wizards? I am truly amazed neither of those have shown up in this list as of yet. That or I simply missed them. Either way they are great shows.

On a side note, there is a Pirates of Dark Water Roleplaying game. The rules are posted online (http://piratesofdarkwater.net/buriedtreasure/worldbook/01.html) and appear to be the weirdest set of rules I have truly ever seen.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Wizards and Fire and Ice were awesome. I own both. I even saw Wizards in theaters when it was released. Another great cartoon is The Last Unicorn. Good stuff.

tesral
04-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Wizards and Fire and Ice were awesome. I own both. I even saw Wizards in theaters when it was released. Another great cartoon is The Last Unicorn. Good stuff.

Saw the Last Unicorn. The book was better I think. Peter Beagle is one of those writers who is hard to explain. Wizards I actually had in beta. I know a DVD of it is out there.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-17-2009, 09:38 PM
It is. I have dvds of all three.

tesral
04-17-2009, 09:40 PM
It is. I have dvds of all three.

I might have grabbed The Last Unicorn. I really need to inventory the DVD shelf (And get a bigger one.)

nijineko
04-18-2009, 01:40 AM
i can hardly believe that i am the first to mention BATTLE OF THE PLANETS! woot! or otherwise known as g-force, especially since they hacked up the 3 part remake. i remember watching the tarzan cartoon, way before george in the jungle... voltron, robotech and the three original anime it was ripped off of, かむいのけん or the dagger of kamui-which was cut down-make sure you get the subbed version to get the whole story, astroboy, speed racer, duck tales, tailspin, dark wing duck, gummi bears, rocky and bullwinkle show (super chicken!!!), loony tunes, flintstones, jetsons, wacky races, that one japanese show where the kid had this hypersonic whistle used to summon these three transforming robot-something-or-another-people-vehicle things vs a lot of shadow ninjas-predates power rangers by quite a lot, ultraman, jonny quest, richie rich, thunderbirds are go, little orphan annie, tin tin, asterix, となり の トトロ, もののけ 姫, せんとちひろの神かくし, blackjack, たぬきポンポン, 思いでポロポロ, てんくのおしろラピュタ, みみをすませば, うみをきこえる, まじょのたくびん, 雲のように、風のように, がけのうえのぽにょ, ゲドせんき, 猫のおんがえし, ポルコ ロッソ, 風の谷のナァウシッカ, 未来しょねんコナン, lupin III-castle of cagliostro... i remember many more that i only caught glimpses of and never really watched... carebears, my little pony, gobots, transformers, gijoe, strawberry shortcake, something about a fuzzball with a pocket, the littles, garfield, popeye, raggedy ann and andy, silverhawks, alf and alftales, pound puppies, ewoks, scooby doo, alvin and chipmunks, beetlejuice, berenstein bears, captain caveman, rescue rangers, curious george, d&d, fat albert, fraggle rock, galaxy high, ghostbusters and the real one too, godzilla, heathcliff, heman, inspector gadget, laser tag, mask, muppet babies, orguss, paddington bear, qbert, rainbow bright, shera, smurfs, justice league and the superfriends, tennessee tuxedo, peabody and sherman (watched a lot), speed buggy, yogi and the gang, hong kong phooey(watched this a lot too), sylvester and tweety show, pink panther...

wow. i may hardly watch tv now, but that's probably because i watched so much when i was young! dang.

here's a couple of sites to help with the walk down memory lane: http://www.80scartoons.net/ and http://www.tvparty.com/sat.html

=D

Simplydone
04-20-2009, 03:55 PM
i do remember all of the nintendo cartoons. Especially the legend of zelda and mario bros.

OH my god Captain N the game master dear lord that was soooo wrong and yet so fun to watch.

Does anyone still remember all those PSA (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1FAE891ECACC927A) from GIJoe? or the ones for Sailor Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrAe3hPCdAI&feature=PlayList&p=634AA0E56869C7E4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18)? Or even more awkward Sonic the Hedgehog (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=634AA0E56869C7E4)?

Dear lord every time I see those I can't help but laugh hysterically. :laugh:

Sascha
04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
OH my god Captain N the game master dear lord that was soooo wrong and yet so fun to watch.

Does anyone still remember all those PSA (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1FAE891ECACC927A) from GIJoe? or the ones for Sailor Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrAe3hPCdAI&feature=PlayList&p=634AA0E56869C7E4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18)? Or even more awkward Sonic the Hedgehog (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=634AA0E56869C7E4)?

Dear lord every time I see those I can't help but laugh hysterically. :laugh:
Oh, the Sailor Moon ones were bad. Baaad bad. At least the G.I. Joe ones were, y'know, planned animation :P Ethics lessons don't need to be so anvilicious, heh.

GoddessGood
04-21-2009, 10:48 AM
As a kid we had a VHS tape of My Little Pony that my parents would put on to shut me up. I would watch it over and over and over again until the VCR overheated and the thing played in slow motion.

Those were the days.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Animated Star Trek and Tarzan. Good stuff.

Sascha
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
As a kid we had a VHS tape of My Little Pony that my parents would put on to shut me up. I would watch it over and over and over again until the VCR overheated and the thing played in slow motion.

Those were the days.
The movie was the only Pony-related thing I could watch, largely 'cause of Tony Randall. (How the heck I knew him back then is but one of soooo many unanswerable questions, heh.) My sisters liked 'em enough, though :P

tesral
04-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Those were the days.

Who needs drugs when you have a flaky VCR?

I still have a VCR, I can't remember the last time I fired it up.

Animated Star Trek and Tarzan. Good stuff.

I got the Animated Series not that long ago. I can finally watch them without my dad grousing about the lawn needing cutting.

Rook
05-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Star Blazers, Battle of the Planets (G-Force), Johnny Socko and his Giant Robot, Ultraman (live-action), Speed Racer, Voltron (original lions version), Danger Island (live action) and the various Kroft Superstars stuff.

templeorder
05-26-2009, 09:46 AM
As in when i was little? Underdog, Adam Ant, Hong Kong Fooey
- All the Banana Splits show cartoons...

The best are still BB/RR - i have DVD collections of these + Ren and Stimpy.

Animated series that made an imprint - Star Blazers, Lodoss War and Vampire Hunter D (obviously a lot later in life)

Now i love The Venture Brothers - Go Team Venture!!!!

Sascha
05-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Now i love The Venture Brothers - Go Team Venture!!!!
Hank Venture (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0567129/), Dean Venture (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0999118/): GO TEAM VENTURE!
Dr. Byron Orpheus (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1708355/): Yes, go Team Venture!
Dr. Venture (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0881672/): Oh for God's sake, don't encourage them.
1.5, "Eeney, Meeney, Miney ... Magic!"

(Can't wait to see how they'll resolve the third-season ender ^_^)

GoddessGood
05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I only catch Venture Bros occasionally as Adult Swim has, imho, gone far downhill.

Rook
05-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Robot Chicken is a great source of twisted reminders of our favorite cartoons from when we were kids...

Sascha
05-26-2009, 01:21 PM
I only catch Venture Bros occasionally as Adult Swim has, imho, gone far downhill.
Basically, that's how I feel; it's on when my music isn't, but I'm not actively watching. It's pretty much Venture Bros. and Metalocalypse that keep me tuned in, though even then I might just switch to watching 'em as DVD boxes, heh, like we do with Lost and Desperate Housewives.

dementedwombat
05-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Not really old enough to know any of these shows proper, but I saw a couple of them on Cartoon Network about 10 years ago before it went downhill (check out Toonami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonami), it defined most of my childhood as far as cartoons are concerned. Eventually I'll find some of those old shows on DVD). I also found a couple of old shows on VHS when I was growing up. I'd buried them in the depths of my subconscious. This thread has been an awesome trip.

A few that haven't been mentioned: Droids (From the people who brought you Ewoks), Skydancers (Still can't believe I didn't come out gender-confused after watching that one), and Starship Troopers (the CG cartoon show)

There was also one anime show I will most likely never know the name of. I was in Kindergarten so I couldn't come close to grasping the plot of it, I just liked the bangs. It was a war with humans vs aliens (they were from mars I think) and one character was an alien who had a chip implanted in his head that made it so he couldn't remember anything, he thought he was a human. Other than that I only remember giant mecha suits trapped in a garbage compactor and shooting the floor out of it because the walls and ceiling were armored. I've been hunting for that show on and off for most of my life but I just can't seem to find it.

A modern cartoon that was actually good: Megas XLR. Cartoon Network canceled it after less than a season. Typical modern CN, they could have at least moved it to Adult Swim.

P.S. Samauri Jack, and the hand drawn Clone Wars miniseries they had before the new CG one. I know they don't count as old but they were awesome and now they're not around anymore.

Panthro82
05-26-2009, 04:08 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned these but I used to like the old Hulk Hogan cartoon(LOL, keep in mind I was a child!), and I used to dig the Spider-Man(the one where the Ramones played the intro) cartoon. I really liked this other old school cartoon on saturday mornings. It was by Hanna Barbara(sp?) Just some random heros fighting the forces of evil. I remember loving that one....OHHHH and Fragile Rock ruled my face, and I really loved Thundercats(obv. ! LOL)

Webhead
05-26-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned these but I used to like the old Hulk Hogan cartoon(LOL, keep in mind I was a child!)...

I don't remember that one, but it did remind me of how I used to watch the Mr. T cartoon! I can even still hear the theme song in my head. It was basically just a rip off of Scooby Doo. Mr. T would run around with a pair of kids solving mysteries which usually involved ghosts that turned out to be hoaxes. Funny stuff!

Does anyone else remember the "original" Ghostbusters cartoon? Not the Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd Ghostbusters, I'm talking about the one with the time traveling Model-T and the talking gorilla! Anybody else know what I'm talking about?

Sascha
05-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I don't remember that one, but it did remind me of how I used to watch the Mr. T cartoon! I can even still hear the theme song in my head. It was basically just a rip off of Scooby Doo. Mr. T would run around with a pair of kids solving mysteries which usually involved ghosts that turned out to be hoaxes. Funny stuff!
And the cereal~!
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/gray_sascha/mrtcereal.jpg

Does anyone else remember the "original" Ghostbusters cartoon? Not the Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd Ghostbusters, I'm talking about the one with the time traveling Model-T and the talking gorilla! Anybody else know what I'm talking about?
This Ghost Busters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_Busters)?

Has Punky Brewster been mentioned yet? (Not interested enough to go back and read everything again, /sigh :P)

tesral
05-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Call of Cluthulu the Series. I know it.

purestrainhuman
05-26-2009, 09:52 PM

I was reading through the thread looking for Ralph Bakshi's works to come up. Wizards and Fire and Ice are amazing

Also, I'd like to say that the animated Tolkein movies were far more entertaining than the live action versions. Lord of the Rings was the best of the three, again by virtue of Bakshi's involvement, but the three were regular saturday morning staples at my house.

And while I'd agree that the Transformers show was... lacking for the first two seasons, the movie was AMAZING! The animation was crisp and detailed, and the voice talent was top notch - Casey Casem, Robert Stack, Eric Idle, Leonard Nimoy, John Moschitta, Robert Orson freakin' Welles and Scatman freakin' Crothers!

Plus, it had one of the best 80s music soundtracks of all time!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKpByV5764 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKpByV5764)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYHGlWZjDLs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYHGlWZjDLs)

Webhead
05-27-2009, 12:40 AM
...This Ghost Busters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_Busters)?...

That show and the subsequent cartoon series that was based on it.

Here's the intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdKn7NTx7f4

GoddessGood
05-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Can't remember if I've said these or not: Bluffers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bluffers) and Bobobobs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobobobs). I was not aware how many foreign cartoons I watched as a kid. These are from the Netherlands and Spain, respectively.

Otakar
05-27-2009, 09:15 AM
I was reading through the thread looking for Ralph Bakshi's works to come up. Wizards and Fire and Ice are amazing

I was just thinking about this over the weekend! I actually have a copy of Fire and Ice but I don't have a good copy of Wizards. So few people have seen Fire and Ice but it's a great inspiration for fantasy gaming. Wizards is kind of fantasy/ Gamma World-ish and is a lot of fun as well. The cartoon Lord of the Rings is what got me hooked to fantasy gaming. Seeing that in the theater and shortly after seeing Gygax on a news program detailing his game and I was sold!

Simplydone
05-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I still remember the Return of the King animated version. That was so freaking awesome when I was a kid. "Frodo of the Nine fingers and the ring of DOOM!"

More recent animation that captured my attention was the Men in Black cartoon. That was freaking awesome to me and reminded me of Aeon Flux, for those of you old enough to watch that on late night MTV. And speaking of animation styles similar to it was the short lived Phantom 2040. That caught my attention and lead to Defenders of the Earth which may have been there earlier but was being shown on CN at the time.

Of course lets not forget Japanime, Anime, etc., these shows definately made me think, "Why can't we have animation with mature plot and settings here in the U.S.?" Shows such as Macross (Robotech), Astro boy (hope the coming movie stays true to the original), Bubblegum Crisis (PRISS and the REPLICATES nuff said), Galaxy Express 999, Akira (nothing says post-Apocalypse like cool futuristic bikes, superpowered midgets, and mutant psychic powers), Ranma 1/2 (cause gender bending is fun for the audience anyway), Starblazers (cause nothing says awesome like a battleship converted to a spaceship), and lastly the grim Mobile Suit Gundam (seriously the show needed to be put on prozac or something). ;)

BTW out of all those shows I just listed I have to give mad props to the remakes such as Mobile Suit Gundam Seed and the remake of Bubblegum Crisis 2040. The former brought that grim series into the 21st century and presented a lot of interesting issues with genetic engineering and human nature. The later actually gave the series an ending where the original series kinda left the audience hanging. That and the end had three of the main female characters standing buck naked on isolated beaches and such. Any show willing to end with full backside nudity as a logical consequence of the final epic battle instead of just because the animaters could do so at any time must get major props for elevating fan service and series endings to new heights. :cool:

tesral
05-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Crusader Rabbit. It was usually on at awkward times of the day, like 6:30 AM so I seldom saw it. But I enjoyed it when I did. Another strange one in that direction was Tom Terrific. I remember very few details.

OK a moment for the BAD. Clutch Cargo. Calling it an "animated" cartoon is stretching the definition to the breaking point. I was highly amused by The Incredibles DVD. One of the features is an "old cartoon" with Mr. Incredible and Frozone doing commentary. It is done Clutch Cargo style and obviously I'm not the only one that remembers that thing.

GoddessGood
05-27-2009, 12:39 PM
I was reminded of American Rabbit (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166948/) by your post. Haven't seen that thing in over a decade.

spotlight
05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Samauri Jack??? You mean the one cqartoon I loved that may have actually had a real plot??? Loved it anyway!!!

Webhead
05-27-2009, 08:31 PM
I loved the Ant & Aardvark shorts that played during the Pink Panther cartoon show. I don't know how many times I watched those two go at it.

tesral
05-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I loved the Ant & Aardvark shorts that played during the Pink Pather cartoon show. I don't know how many times I watched those two go at it.

I loved both of those.

Panthro82
05-27-2009, 11:02 PM
He-Man was cool back in the day too. Keep in mind I was a young child. I also really loved Inspector Gadget! My older sister used to harass me to no end on that one. I still remember her chanting, "duh duh duh duh duh inspector idiot!"(mimicking the intro) That used to irk me soooo much!!!

Sascha
05-28-2009, 01:16 AM
My older sister used to harass me to no end on that one. I still remember her chanting, "duh duh duh duh duh inspector idiot!"(mimicking the intro) That used to irk me soooo much!!!
It's in the job description, harassing younger siblings; my own sisters didn't care much for it, either :P

Speaking of ... the youngest sister loved those koala-centered shows Nickelodeon used to play: Noozles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noozles) and Adventures of the Little Koala (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_of_the_Little_Koala). Much teasing ensued.

GoddessGood
05-28-2009, 08:01 AM
It's in the job description, harassing younger siblings; my own sisters didn't care much for it, either :P

Speaking of ... the youngest sister loved those koala-centered shows Nickelodeon used to play: Noozles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noozles) and Adventures of the Little Koala (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_of_the_Little_Koala). Much teasing ensued.
Oh man, loved that koala show. Thanks for posting it.

Inspector Gadget reminds me of one of my nicknames in college, "Inspector Dammit." My lab partner was particularly amused when I yelled at the circuit we were building, "Go, dammit! Go!" and started humming the theme song for Inspector Gadget. Of course, as engineering students, we were big fans of his ;)

tesral
05-28-2009, 08:46 AM
It's in the job description, harassing younger siblings; my own sisters didn't care much for it, either :P.

Yes, yes it is.

Gadget? My son used to watch that one. I still roll my eyes. I figured that they crammed so much stuff in him there was no room for brains. Ergo they installed them in the dog.

Sascha
05-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Gadget was the cybernetic Maxwell Smart, complete with Don Adams voice and everything.

tesral
05-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Gadget was the cybernetic Maxwell Smart, complete with Don Adams voice and everything.

Not as funny as Don Adams however.

I remember seeing the outtakes from an episode of Get Smart with Don Rickles. Half an hour of the two of them looking at each other and falling apart with laughter and careening around the set. And that was one scene. I wonder how they got that one finished. "That's the second biggest outtake I've ever seen."

Sascha
05-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Not as funny as Don Adams however.

I remember seeing the outtakes from an episode of Get Smart with Don Rickles. Half an hour of the two of them looking at each other and falling apart with laughter and careening around the set. And that was one scene. I wonder how they got that one finished. "That's the second biggest outtake I've ever seen."
Yeah, it's the difference between target audiences; finding Get Smart reruns was a definite leap up in the funny, due to the quality of the writing. For a kid, though, Gadget was enjoyable.

(Somewhat of a tangent, there were a few episodes of The Daily Show with Buck Henry as a Senior Correspondent; hilarity ensued :))

Panthro82
05-28-2009, 10:03 PM
yea I will admit that gadgets smarts came from both his dog and his daughter, but gadgets luck mixed in with that made them an indominable force..

Dimthar
06-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Don't know if it was posted before ...

But this Fan Trailer is AWESOME!

THUNDERCATS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb50GMmY5nk)

Arkhemedes
06-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah, it's the difference between target audiences; finding Get Smart reruns was a definite leap up in the funny, due to the quality of the writing. For a kid, though, Gadget was enjoyable.

(Somewhat of a tangent, there were a few episodes of The Daily Show with Buck Henry as a Senior Correspondent; hilarity ensued :))
I recently bought the complete collection of Get Smart and am currently going through them now - great stuff!

As a side note - I did not realize until just now that there was already a long running thread on cartoons, started long before this Baron Somthingarother (hehe) started one. Interesting, veeery interesting.

Panthro82
06-25-2009, 04:36 AM
Not many people look through all the old threads to see if something they want to post has been posted before. I'm sure he didn't realize it

GoddessGood
06-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Yup yup. I'm still trying to find out what the name of that one cartoon was that I mentioned pages back. There were these private school boys from england back in the 19 century (when everyone was still getting around on boats, mostly) that got ship-wrecked and marooned on an island (this is not Lord of the Flies). They built elaborate tree houses and wondered if they'd ever get home. They found a buried treasure, and a woman washed up on shore and sort of became their mother. But a pirate ship came (they had attacked the woman's boat which is why she washed up on shore) and the boys fought them off. Somehow they got home (don't remember). I wish I knew the name of the cartoon, as I'd kinda like to see it again. There was this really poignant part where one of the boys dreams that all his friends grow old, die and turn to skeletons without ever leaving the island.

Arkhemedes
06-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Yup yup. I'm still trying to find out what the name of that one cartoon was that I mentioned pages back. There were these private school boys from england back in the 19 century (when everyone was still getting around on boats, mostly) that got ship-wrecked and marooned on an island (this is not Lord of the Flies). They built elaborate tree houses and wondered if they'd ever get home. They found a buried treasure, and a woman washed up on shore and sort of became their mother. But a pirate ship came (they had attacked the woman's boat which is why she washed up on shore) and the boys fought them off. Somehow they got home (don't remember). I wish I knew the name of the cartoon, as I'd kinda like to see it again. There was this really poignant part where one of the boys dreams that all his friends grow old, die and turn to skeletons without ever leaving the island.
Reminds me a lot of a movie I saw when I was a kid and I've never been able to find it since: Three boys enter a museum to see the dinosaur exhibit, but they fall asleep on a bench there. Suddenly they awake and find themselves in prehistoric times running from dinosaurs and all kinds of things happen. At some point (don't remember how) the three boys wake up and find themselves back in the museum. They think the whole thing was a dream. But one of the boys looks at a book he had been carrying and it's all torn up just like it was in their trip into the past. Creepy and cool!

Sascha
06-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Reminds me a lot of a movie I saw when I was a kid and I've never been able to find it since: Three boys enter a museum to see the dinosaur exhibit, but they fall asleep on a bench there. Suddenly they awake and find themselves in prehistoric times running from dinosaurs and all kinds of things happen. At some point (don't remember how) the three boys wake up and find themselves back in the museum. They think the whole thing was a dream. But one of the boys looks at a book he had been carrying and it's all torn up just like it was in their trip into the past. Creepy and cool!
The American version of Cesta do pravěku (Journey to the Beginning of Time (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047930/))?

(Search-fu failing horribly on the shipwrecked English lads, alas :P)

Arkhemedes
06-26-2009, 09:30 PM
The American version of Cesta do pravěku (Journey to the Beginning of Time (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047930/))?

Wow, thanks Sascha. I'll have to look into it. I'm so computationally-challenged, I might have otherwise done the same (yeah, right!).

GoddessGood
06-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Yup, mine, too, alas. Wow. Three commas in one sentence. And only four words. Must be some kinda record for me :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-27-2009, 11:34 AM
What was the name of the cartoons in which the main character was a vulture? Ever time he got into trouble, he'd call his mommy.

Anyone know the cartoon i'm talking about? :confused:

GoddessGood
06-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Weren't those just your standard Warner Brother, Looney Tunes cartoons? I remember a couple of shorts like that, I think.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-27-2009, 01:17 PM
There were probably 5 of them, but don't trust my memory on that one. It has been over 30 years since I've seen them.

Does anyone recall the name of the Vulture, and/or the cartoon in question?

On a side note: it's funny how memories work, i can still remember the song that vulture would sing when flying. :rolleyes:

Panthro82
06-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I think that was a short Thoth, but I don't remember him flying in it....hmmm maybe we are thinking of something different.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Found it, hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvriBqwvJL8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuN-tFvgRc0&NR=1 <---He's flying in the end of this one, singing his trademark song. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luKU53ihiK8&feature=related

Panthro82
06-27-2009, 02:23 PM
oh yea I remember that cartoon. I was thinking of a different one. The bird I think was a blackbird in a schoolhouse singing.

GoddessGood
07-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Yup, I remember the vulture fella. Man, this makes me want to go back and watch all the really old disney movies.

Panthro82
07-04-2009, 12:15 PM
you know whats ever better? School House Rock! Conjunction Junction. I loove those shorts! They should still play all of those on TV today!

Sascha
07-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Mojo Jojo (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413996/): Conjunction Junctions, which have numerous functions.
The Powerpuff Girls

Oldgamer
07-04-2009, 12:59 PM
you know whats ever better? School House Rock! Conjunction Junction. I loove those shorts! They should still play all of those on TV today!

Conjunction Junction ... what's your function? :biggrin:

Don't forget the Electric Company ... but that wasn't a cartoon ...

Panthro82
07-04-2009, 03:12 PM
yep the electric company was awesome too. I have two older siblings so I was practically a child of the 70's as well as the 80's due to their influence.

XeroDrift
09-22-2009, 12:12 AM
one I can't find is phantom tollbooth.

It is about this kid who is lazy, and he goes through the phantom tollbooth and learns the powers of math and reading. Kind of a hokey message, but I still watched it all the time.

MAGIC Tollbooth, one of my favorite books as a child and a great trippy 70's cartoon, good call!

I've been searching for the phantom tollbooth for years! If you find a copy let me know, or copy it and send it to me!

I've been thinking for awhile now that I could collect these movies and things, and get the rights to put them on DVD and sell them. I don't know how successful it'd be, but I would like it.

Sorry I wasnt here a few months ago! Its "The Magic Tollbooth"!
So this is my first ever triple post, whoo-hoo!
Anyway, wish I'd noticed this thread a while ago, it's been a walk down memory lane, thanks to all involved! (especially the early '80s cartoon references)

yukonhorror
09-22-2009, 11:17 AM
MAGIC Tollbooth, one of my favorite books as a child and a great trippy 70's cartoon, good call!

Sorry I wasnt here a few months ago! Its "The Magic Tollbooth"!
So this is my first ever triple post, whoo-hoo!
Anyway, wish I'd noticed this thread a while ago, it's been a walk down memory lane, thanks to all involved! (especially the early '80s cartoon references)

no, I mean Phantom Tollbooth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_Tollbooth_(film)

XeroDrift
09-23-2009, 04:32 AM
Heh, my memory is faulty, for years I've remembered it as Magic, ah well

no, I mean Phantom Tollbooth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_Tollbooth_(film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_Tollbooth_%28film))

smart alec...