PDA

View Full Version : Tournys?

Soft Serve
04-02-2009, 03:45 AM
Why aren't there any tournaments hosted here? Like a role playing encounter someone (a mod) has set up and is prepared to run for teams of 4-6 people who try to survive and efficiently defeat the encounter better then the other teams for prizes and such. The teams would all run through the same encounter (on different days probably) trying to get points for their group. The characters would be generated with / by the DM / moderator (to ensure no one cheated) and then pushed into the adventure. No towns, or RPing, just straight gaming. If you wanted too you could even drag it out. Make it three or four encounters, each group runs through the first one, their points get posted somewhere, the other groups know how much better they have to try and be to best the other teams. Just spitballing though...:)

The winning team would be determined on things like...

Rounds to defeat big nasty monster(s) - For every round less then it took the team that took the most time is one point. (should only be used on a boss creature)

Activated Trap(s) - For every point of damage caused by a trap is a negative point. If no traps were set off then it's +x points x being the number of total traps in the encounter.

Money Earned - For every 100 GP at the end of the encounter the party gains another point.

Deaths - -8 points per death.

Players - Going in with a shorthanded group (E.X. taking 2 players through a 4 person encounter) could be worth +8 to 10 points. (doesn't count if a PC dies)

Character Creation - Attributes should get anywhere from 28-32 points (depends on the MOD) but any point not used in Attributes can go straight to victory points at the end. Same as GP and attempting to buy equipment. So you could keep 400GP from character creation to have at the end for an extra 4 points.

again...I'm just spitballing it...

Also not expecting it to happen anytime soon since even if you win there wouldn't be much to give away since the site still has to recover from the record breaking day.

AAAND Not trying to point this at any genre / edition of a game either. Those above rules are pointed at D&D 3.5, but they could be tweaked.

I think this could be fun though, and on a site full of RPG gamers, with a chat room....I see potential. :D

yukonhorror
04-02-2009, 09:21 AM
that's not too crazy, i don't know how many people play d&d minis, but a buddy and me played them online

we would chat through msn, and use a premade google document for the map and minis. It was super low tech, but it got the job done. All of the cards are online, so could build your dream team for free.

could be judged on number of turns taken too.

If you kill the dragon in three turns vs. 8, you are obviously more efficient.

or team against team.

You get 3 (or 4) players / team and you fight each other.

Or, have it sort of like a triathlon. 2 combat encounters (that vary differently) and one non-combat encounter (skill challenge if using 4e). Sort of judge it in a similar manner as figure skating.

There are technical points, but also creativity and style points.

I like it

Have our "GM panel" as the official judges.

Earning that community supporter title huh ;).

cplmac
04-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I like the idea, but what if a mod and a couple of their players would want to give it an attempt also? Could maybe just exclude them from judging that particular time. Like Soft Serve said, he is looking at D&D 3.5 that he is familiar with, but the same thing could be done with any RPG system, so as to give everyone the chance to participate in these.

Soft Serve
04-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Well there are more then enough capable GM's here for any game. The people would just have to get organized and set up.

I myself woulden't be opposed to having a team set up and participating, or GMing if someone else made the map. (I fail at map making and usually go off my own course anyway)

@yukon

It'd be up to the person running and the judges (if there are any at all) to determine the type of game / scoring system. But above that it would really be up to the guy giving away the first place prizes. :p

I would do something like a one-shot cavern or jungle encounter, or an Arena style encounter where the players take on wave after wave of monsters until each one dies. Of course if I went through with that I would take off the death penalty from points, so yeah it's really up to whoever runs it.

Grimwell
04-03-2009, 01:13 AM
The trick is finding people who want to participate. :)

Some time back I tried to start an "Iron DM" contest here (take some basic elements and design a mini adventure, etc.). I've seen it elsewhere, successfully run, and people had a lot of fun. I thought it would be neat to do here. Problem is it didn't get enough people interested to float.

Could be that it was just the wrong idea for this particular group of people, but some of it is getting people to commit to being in the event itself!

I'd love to see stuff like this though!

Soft Serve
04-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Well with this threads 5 posts and 51 views I don't think enough people have heard yet to make a solid idea of what to do.

So I've got a plan to take up my unused Signature space...

GoddessGood
04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I have the bare bones of an idea for an Exalted tourny (surprise, surprise), but I'm no good at making dungeons. There's an abandoned, ancient city called Rathess that was once home to a race of intelligent, high-tech, sun-worshipping dinosaurs. That was long ago, and that race has largely died out, but the primitive descendants still remain to hunt the ruins. The god of fallen cities makes his home in this Rathess as well, and his minions run about trying to tear the city apart further and stop any adventurers that would rebuild it. High above the city in a floating spire live the Fair Folk, a twisted and crazed faction that thrive on the dreams and souls of others. Those few that have made it out of the city alive have brought back wonders and stories of even greater treasures in the underlayers of the city.

Sounds like fun, no? I'd run a short-lived game on OpenRPG with the aim of retaking Rathess and rebuilding it, but it was strictly a high level game.

Soft Serve
04-06-2009, 11:18 PM
I have the bare bones of an idea for an Exalted tourny (surprise, surprise), but I'm no good at making dungeons. There's an abandoned, ancient city called Rathess that was once home to a race of intelligent, high-tech, sun-worshipping dinosaurs. That was long ago, and that race has largely died out, but the primitive descendants still remain to hunt the ruins. The god of fallen cities makes his home in this Rathess as well, and his minions run about trying to tear the city apart further and stop any adventurers that would rebuild it. High above the city in a floating spire live the Fair Folk, a twisted and crazed faction that thrive on the dreams and souls of others. Those few that have made it out of the city alive have brought back wonders and stories of even greater treasures in the underlayers of the city.

Sounds like fun, no? I'd run a short-lived game on OpenRPG with the aim of retaking Rathess and rebuilding it, but it was strictly a high level game.

That does sound amazing, but like Grimwell said the trick would be finding Exalted players and groups to participate. So far it doesn't even look like too many people are into the idea of tournaments in general. Maybe if I put one of these in the Fantasy section....

GoddessGood
04-07-2009, 08:07 AM
That does sound amazing, but like Grimwell said the trick would be finding Exalted players and groups to participate. So far it doesn't even look like too many people are into the idea of tournaments in general. Maybe if I put one of these in the Fantasy section....
Indeed. I tried something similar a few years ago and met with no takers. The idea was similar, but more mortal kombat-ish.

Soft Serve
04-07-2009, 10:31 AM
but more mortal kombat-ish.

ROFL what?!?!

GoddessGood
04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
The idea was that the players are all exalts of whatever type they choose. They all have their own motivations for being in an arena to fight for the incredi-fabulous prize (never really dreamed up what it was). Each of them would be sent in to fight things, at first animals, then maybe people or mild monsters, then more dangerous monsters ... then each other. After every combat they survived they'd be given some XP and allowed 1 day to heal. During this day, they'd be largely unwatched with the only stricture being that they can't leave the property. If they leave, they forfeit the prize. It was my intention that actual RP and story would happen during the downtimes between fights and the players would discover that something was afoot(!) which would make them question what exactly they were doing here.

Soft Serve
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
That sound slike a good game in general. Tourny or not.

It reminds me more of that Bruce Lee movie which name escapes me though...

GoddessGood
04-07-2009, 01:08 PM
That sound slike a good game in general. Tourny or not.

It reminds me more of that Bruce Lee movie which name escapes me though...
One of the main intentions was to familiarize myself with the combat system of Exalted, which is clunky and large. I don't know which movie you mean, though, as I tend to fall asleep during martial arts flicks.

Soft Serve
04-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Something of the Dragon.

idk he was on an island, there was a dick with a jade claw or something stupid like that, and yeah.

Jackie Chan was in it as a thug and Bruce breaks his neck.

nijineko
04-17-2009, 07:50 PM
one could probably do a martially based form of tourney via pbp without too much issue, assuming that all involved have a fair grasp of the rules. ^^ i have some ideas for how to pull that off. pick a system and see how many sign up. i'll even volunteer to kick off a d&d one if there are enough interested individuals.

Soft Serve
04-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Ok. Then maybe I should post this in the Fantasy Genre section (where more people will read it) and see how many other people pick up.

The fact that I hadn't thought of that until just now.... :redface:

Lucian-Sunaka
04-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Well Soft, my money says your thinking of Enter the Dragon as the Bruce Lee movie. I don't remember seeing Jackie Chan in it, but at the time he'd have been so young I just might not have recognized him (or just not noticed. There were alot of thugs in that movie with their necks broken or otherwise slaughterized)

Soft Serve
04-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah thats the one. It's in the cave scene, just Youtube it you'll see him.

nijineko
04-20-2009, 10:42 PM
isn't that the one where he gets the massive kick-spin move done on him? i read about that in jackie chan's biography. very interesting reading.

Soft Serve
06-18-2009, 02:13 PM
I should go find that. I love Jackie Chan.

I think I'm going to go through with this game plan just without the rewards part at the end of it.

I'll put this in Fantasy (again) and another one in Campaign Invitations. So any takers just hit me up here.