PDA

View Full Version : April 1st - Break the Record Results

Farcaster
04-01-2009, 08:57 PM
And the winners are:

The five free year subscriptions for a Community Supporter account were: Lokilove, Harker, FriendlyFaust, MortonStromgal, and caprica (six?)

And the gift certificate winners are:

$10 gift certificate: Anodyzed
$10 gift certificate: ithil
$10 gift certificate: Chi
$20 gift certificate: Malruhn
$30 gift certificate: dulgar

And I would like to give a special thanks to Soft Serve (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=5761), who suggested this event in the first place! :) To him, I would also like to gift a Community Supporter account for having such a great community building idea.

Farcaster
04-01-2009, 09:30 PM
So, I know there were a lot more of you who tried to get online but couldn't. Just before the crash we were for sure at 211 users. I appreciate all of you trying to get on. Unfortunately, it was the database that crashed on us because of a little configuration problem. That's hopefully been taken care of for the future. In any case, I don't have a screenshot, but here are the 233 users that I was able to determine were logged in for this event:

1958Fury, Aeval, agoraderek, Aidan, Ailis, akela122301, alanh10, allende_william, Ampolitor, Annatar, Anodyzed, anticipatient, Argent, Arkon Blackfire, Arrogant, arthimas, aufrank, Autotrep, aylith4, Bacore, banik, BessBluefeather, biffer75, Bisclaveret, bitemytail, blackmote, Blame_it_on_good, blenderkitten, Bluv, Botho, Braeg, byd_racer, byzcath, Caeric, caprica, cdragonsyco, CelestialBarbarian, Chgowiz, Chi, Cocoa, collier, Constance, corax, cpljarhead, cplmac, Crystal, Cy the Wander, Cynic, Dague285, Daishar, DeadMike, DeadReborn, Decius, Delrune, Demelza, DiceDuke, Dimthar, djpeterso23662, dman12b, Dr. Awkward, dr_x_online, dragon176, Dragon2605, dragonfire, dragonrider1976, DreadArchon, dulgar, Edward, Envikin, esc, f3n1x mas0n, Fadedcreed, Farcaster, Felvet, femchar, ffclubhero, FizbanJH, fmitchell, Frank Jamison, FriendlyFaust, Fuzzy alchemist, GatorG, gdmcbride, Ghostwolfe1978, god_of_fear, GoddessGood, Goreaddict, GothPoet, greenbadge, Griffdaddy, grimwell, Grumpy Old Man, Guardian, Halberkill, hangedman, Harker, harley, helshezag, hippie_mama, I. J. Thompson, Iceberg, iffling, ignimbrite, InMediaRes, InvestFDC, ithil, jade von delioch, jay626, JayJurczynski, Jazzman, JE472, Jedi Viktor, Jgosse, jho251981, jkfoote, jng2058, JohnChrist, Jymy, Kaewin, Kapuran, KB13, Keoki, Kethlan, Kilansa, Killerbeez, Kilom, kkriegg, knitnerd, Kodiak, Kozsey, krackmonkey, Krinjah, kurz, Kylana, LAST CRUSADER, Law Dog, LegacyKing, linkhyrule5, Locutus, Lokilove, Lord_Venomous, Lucian-Sunaka, Mad Douglas, MadDogMaddux, Major Doom, Malruhn, mark42, Michael_Lightbringer, mjungledog, MortonStromgal, Moze, mrken, MrMoJoRisin3, Mudgrubber, Myn, Nathril, NCW&RPG, nijineko, Noelle, Nord_drache, notrealdan, PA_kid, panik, PaulJohn, Paulytee, PlattevilleGamer, Poetry1953, Preston, PudgySmurf, pug41478, Quingyar, Raznok, Redcup, RioTsunami, Rochin, roguefan99, Roman Virtue, roninkelt, Rubilon, Ruki, Rummy, russdm, saiyanslayer, Salcheech, Samy, Sascha, ScotMcC, ShadowChemosh, Shlinc, Shroomer, Sigilistic, Silroc, Simon2010200, Simonides, simrion, Sithus, Sneaksta, Soft Serve, solarisosius, Some_call_me_Tim, SpiffyBananaFoot, spotlight, starwolf013, Steeler92, stormytyca, T_D_S, Tabryn, Talae, Tamerath, TAROT, teylos, The Prodigal Tim, The_NPC, thojifad, Thor, Thoth-Amon, Thriondel Half-Elven, Tigerfire, TonyCo, trolane, Ulot, urizenxvii, Use_Rope, Valdar, Vanguardsoul, verdilak, Vervamon, Volcatius, Vorin, xguy, xilraazz, yukonhorror, and Zane

Soft Serve
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
w00t!

We didn't break the record but that was still pretty fun.

Next year?!:)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh my Gods... look at that extremely cool name on that list: Thoth-Amon

Grimwell
04-02-2009, 12:00 AM
It was a lot of fun, and I was lucky and crashed on the SQL stuff right as I needed to go home anyway! ;)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Even though i was one of the members bounced during a 'renew,' i had great fun and look forward to anything else FC has in mind to put together in the future. I felt it brought us closer not only as gamers, but as members with P&PG's.

yukonhorror
04-02-2009, 09:05 AM
got yourself a fancy new icon there soft-serve ;).

It was fun. Maybe we need to sort of have a sign up sheet and a schedule next time so the bulk of the users aren't trying to long in at exactly 6:00 pm.

Those of level 20-30 login at 6:00, levels 15-20 at 6:15, etc...

Or get a new SQL? whatever that is.

SpiffyBananaFoot
04-02-2009, 09:57 AM
I agree, it was a lot of fun. I guess I have always just logged on in the past and went straight to my game forum without looking around too much, but I never knew there was a community option. What makes that especially embarrassing is that Farcaster was my most recent DM. This is a great service to the gaming community and 12 bucks is small price to pay to support this service (at least for me).

The only problem I have is that I don't have Paypal because I closed my account a couple years back when it was hacked. It would be nice if there were alternative options to pay.

SBF

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-02-2009, 10:19 AM
w00t!

We didn't break the record but that was still pretty fun.

Next year?!:)

Very cool pic/icon, Soft Serve.

I agree, it was a lot of fun. I guess I have always just logged on in the past and went straight to my game forum without looking around too much, but I never knew there was a community option. What makes that especially embarrassing is that Farcaster was my most recent DM. This is a great service to the gaming community and 12 bucks is small price to pay to support this service (at least for me).

The only problem I have is that I don't have Paypal because I closed my account a couple years back when it was hacked. It would be nice if there were alternative options to pay.

SBF

I've had a couple of friends suffer due to PAYPALs mistakes. Trick i found was to use an account(credit, bank card, etc) with a small limit on it, or better yet, put a certain amount into $$ into PAYPAL directly, so you can tap from that. Of course, every time you sell something, $$ is added to your account. Just an idea.

SpiffyBananaFoot
04-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I guess it is really a moot point anyhow. I'll probably just give him the cash the next time I see him.

Farcaster
04-02-2009, 01:15 PM

Thank you for the high praise. :)

Just so you know, you don't have to have a PayPal account to pay through paypal with us. Since P&PG has a merchant account, you can opt to pay directly with any major credit card or debit card that PayPal recognizes. All you need to do is follow the prompts until you get to the PayPal page that prompts you to login to PayPal. On that page, there is an option that says "Don't have a PayPal account? User your credit or debit card to pay," and click "Continue" beneath that. That method doesn't require you have a PayPal account at all.

Dragon2605
04-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Woohoo.....I made the list. :D

Farcaster
04-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Heya. I also added a poll to this thread. If you were there, but couldn't connect and want to give us a shout out, you can add your name to this poll. I'd love to have an approximation of just how many people were trying to get on but couldn't.

All I know is there were almost a thousand competing processes trying to get a connection last night at the same time. It was incredible to see the server load at figures like 950!

SpiffyBananaFoot
04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Damn, there went my last excuse. Looks like I'll have to really do it now.

Thank you for the high praise. :)

Just so you know, you don't have to have a PayPal account to pay through paypal with us. Since P&PG has a merchant account, you can opt to pay directly with any major credit card or debit card that PayPal recognizes. All you need to do is follow the prompts until you get to the PayPal page that prompts you to login to PayPal. On that page, there is an option that says "Don't have a PayPal account? User your credit or debit card to pay," and click "Continue" beneath that. That method doesn't require you have a PayPal account at all.

Soft Serve
04-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Oh my Gods... look at that extremely cool name on that list: Thoth-Amon

Wow what a clever and original name. Wish I had something like that...I'd probably go with some kind of frozen, custard-like treat...

Even though i was one of the members bounced during a 'renew,' i had great fun and look forward to anything else FC has in mind to put together in the future. I felt it brought us closer not only as gamers, but as members with P&PG's.

▼▼*cough cough* ▼▼

And I would like to give a special thanks to Soft Serve (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=5761), who suggested this event in the first place! :) To him, I would also like to gift a Community Supporter account for having such a great community building idea.

:p:p:p :lol: :cool: (smileys that best describe my range of facial expressions in order.)

got yourself a fancy new icon there soft-serve ;).

Very cool pic/icon, Soft Serve.

What has two thumbs and google image searched "Soft Serve" then said "well that looks the most delicious" and put it here?

*points at self with two thumbs*

This guy!

lonejedi
04-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I haven't been active in the community so I thought Wednesday's event would be a great way to get into the swing. Although I never did get to see anything (and apparently didn't make the list), I like to think I was full of group participation in pulling the server down. Vote cast... out has now been shouted ;)

InfoStorm
04-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Unfortunatly, I wasn't able to be there at the appointed hour. I was online an hour and a half earlier, but Wednesday nights are my live game night. So, you sort of lost out to a vampire, werewolf, succubus, changling and 3 mages.

Skunkape
04-03-2009, 01:04 PM
I jumped on about 8 pm eastern, which would be 5 pm pacific, but then around the time of the event, I tried refreshing to see who else was on but as with most others, couldn't get back on. Well, there's always next time!:D

SiliconScout
04-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Damn you server crash... DAMN YOU!!!!!

Blammo
04-03-2009, 02:12 PM
I tried :( Seems that April 1st was a mess of server issues from all over.

thegriffins1234
04-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Added my name to the "there but otherwise unable to bull rush into the group" poll.

I also wanted to say that the front page chat thing is way cool.

I admit, I almost never post, and really got into ppg to use the registry (which I have used now to find six players over the years). Not much of a "supporter" as far as posts and other information (useful or otherwise), but (quietly) I can't say enough about the site.

Ppg rocks, and I hope it is around for years to come. Thanks to everyone who does make this thing work (even when it doesn't work the way we would like).

P.S. - My kids, wife and I all LOVE soft serve (DQ is the best)!

Major Doom
04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Alright, I'm actually on the list. MAJOR DOOM ON THE PROWL!

Ben Rostoker
04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Couldn't log in due to crash.

Hello everybody, btw.

Dark
04-03-2009, 03:32 PM
I was there but could not get in :censored: it! Gratz on everyone that did get in perhaps next year I may get lucky. :)

Chi
04-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Ya I made the list I was not sure if I did cause of the crash!!!!!

1958Fury
04-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Cool, I'm first alphabetically. :)

agoraderek
04-03-2009, 04:00 PM
It was a cool thing, and the server crash just made me think the effort was a rousing success :)

Chi
04-03-2009, 04:07 PM
It was a cool thing, and the server crash just made me think the effort was a rousing success :)
That is how I thought of it too, I was a little sad cause I wanted to be a part of it and then it would not let me back on and then I thought well at least people joined in!!

nijineko
04-03-2009, 04:16 PM
that was fun, the shoutbox was especially nice... there were so many people typing though that it would scroll off the screen and trying to scroll down, pick up where you last read and read fast enough to scroll up was a bit hectic all in 15 seconds.... perhaps reverse order so that newest posts to the bottom, thus easing the ability to scan the text? and a larger display would have helped too. =D

Farcaster
04-03-2009, 04:21 PM
and a larger display would have helped too. =D

There was a larger version available. You just had to click the drop down menu on the Chatbox and you could go to the "Full" version which was probably 4-5 times the height of the one on the front page.

Chi
04-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I agree newest posts should have been at bottom, as a matter of fact the whole time I was on I thought they were at the bottom and couldn't understand anything. Then we left and thriondel told me it was oppisite.

cdragonsyco
04-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I was at the event and was chatting with ampolitor but like so many others when i tried to refresh it locked me out :mad:

Edward
04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I was initially unable to log in due to the crash, but I did get in at 6:30. So apparently it wasn't down very long.

I'd say identifying the database problem made the event worthwhile in itself.

MortonStromgal
04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I was at the event but i thought it was the crappy hotel wireless that was making it refresh all funny... oh well

Jomangor
04-03-2009, 07:26 PM
I couldn't log in either, I'm sorry to say.

Sarky
04-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Agin! We must attempt it agin. Perhaps a gradul increase in da numbers of us online.

Guardian
04-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Woo hoo! I'm on the list! I was worried that I got booted and wasn't on it! Awesome!

Good to know the little problem had been taken care of, Farcaster

Blame_it_on_good
04-03-2009, 09:17 PM
yeah it was cool daddy-o

Nord_drache
04-04-2009, 11:00 AM
:eek:When I got the email I was worried that when the server crashed it took my name with it :lol:

Glad to see I'm still there, it was fun to try and who knows what the future holds for this sort of community event.

I haven't heard what our campaign button for this will be, but how about the of xps the server was worth . . .:lol:

:rolleyes: Just an idea . . .;)

Jim

Soft Serve
04-05-2009, 01:43 AM
P.S. - My kids, wife and I all LOVE soft serve (DQ is the best)!

As the unofficial representative of Soft Serve Ice Cream. It loves you too.

♥♥♥

I got lucky and hopped on with Cynic right after the crash got fixed. No computer explosions for me! :D

mrken
04-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Alas, I have had to give up Soft Serve. :( It is one of those things that no longer agree with me. Even just a baby cone sends pains through my chest that scare me. No more ice cream of any kind. I miss it but it is a new rule I have to live with or die with. :( So many of the funner, more enjoyable parts of life have left me and I must now be content just to be alive. Thank God RPG's are not fatting.

cmac
04-05-2009, 04:06 PM
I tried but didn't have any luck