PDA

View Full Version : Third party supplements

Kaewin
04-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I am looking for some good 4th ed material. I would like a game world if possible. I am tired of the Realms Greyhawk and Dragonlance and not an Ebberon fan.

Something new and maybe a little more monsters would be nice, just something alittle diffrent. Most of what I get is off amazon or Ebay. The nearest game store is over the mountains and about 50 moiles away. My car won't make it and the wife won't take me.

Any hints would be nice.

spotlight
04-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Suggestion? put off buying game material and put it into an other car. Seriously though, I always go with home brew anyways. All the monsters I want, and such.

Valdar
04-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Seconded. Homebrew monsters are now easier than ever (no spell lists for NPC casters, just pick a few powers and go with it). I don't even use the rules for stats for custom monsters- just steal the stats from a monster with the same level and role that you're creating and go with it.

A good source of monsters is the ones from previous games that haven't been converted yet. That being said, stick to the iconic ones like piercers, shriekers, mimics, etc that the party will wonder how you converted- 4e doesn't need a Flumph.

gdmcbride
04-01-2009, 06:42 PM
I am looking for some good 4th ed material. I would like a game world if possible. I am tired of the Realms Greyhawk and Dragonlance and not an Ebberon fan.

Something new and maybe a little more monsters would be nice, just something alittle diffrent. Most of what I get is off amazon or Ebay. The nearest game store is over the mountains and about 50 moiles away. My car won't make it and the wife won't take me.

Any hints would be nice.

4th edition is pretty sparse on 3rd party support compared to D&D 3.x, but there is some. Probably the most complete list is kept here. (http://www.enworld.org/wiki/index.php/4E_3rd_Party_Publishers)

Wraith Recon (via Mongoose) is an interesting take on D&D 4th ed. Characters as magically equipt commandos undertaking special ops missions. Sounds interesting. Haven't read any of the books.

EN World Publishing is going to do a 4th ed version of their superlative War of the Burning Sky AP (1st to 30th level) later this year. That will be something to own.

Goodman Games has published Points of Light (with PoL II coming in a few months) that details sample locations that can be developed into more complete worlds relatively easily. GG also has a bunch of in-print 4th ed modules that could easily be used as the basis of a world (particular the Punjar series).

Gary

Valdar
04-01-2009, 06:53 PM
I'd be careful with 3rd party stuff- WotC, with 4th ed, has finally gotten around to the notion of "playtesting", and has yanked the reins on the OGL to make sure that 3rd parties at least attempt to do the same- I'd say you're good to go when exploring 3rd party stuff from the DM side, but take a good look at stuff you'd let players use-

gdmcbride
04-01-2009, 07:05 PM
I'd be careful with 3rd party stuff- WotC, with 4th ed, has finally gotten around to the notion of "playtesting", and has yanked the reins on the OGL to make sure that 3rd parties at least attempt to do the same- I'd say you're good to go when exploring 3rd party stuff from the DM side, but take a good look at stuff you'd let players use-

You are simply incorrect about the OGL and the GSL. There is nothing in either that requires any 3rd party playtesting. WotC has yanked no licenses because of poor playtesting under either 3rd or 4th edition that I'm aware of.

And while WotC has had extensive playtesting since before 3.0 was released (indeed the third edition rules set with their massive pre-release playtest is probably the most playtested RPG ever published), that has not stopped supplements and even core rulebooks from having pages and pages of errata.

3rd party supplements are always a buyer beware sort of arrangement. I just think that is equally true of WotC's material.

Gary

Kaewin
04-02-2009, 04:54 AM
Yes I do remeber some of the third ed stuff. It was always hit and miss. Mainly I am looking for a game world and some monsters anything else would be just cake.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-04-2009, 11:39 PM
I read somewhere that Necromancer Games(?) will be releasing a 4E Tomb of Horrors. Scarrrrry!

Cant wait.

Kaewin
04-06-2009, 08:49 AM
That sounds decent, Is Pathfinder 4th or 3.5?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-06-2009, 09:55 AM
That sounds decent, Is Pathfinder 4th or 3.5?
It has a few unofficial names, 3.75 being one of them. If you're into 3.5, then Pathfinder works perfectly. Check out the free download for they 'fixed' alot of things. Again, it's 3.5, but with updated classes.

We ran some 3.5 and 3.75 classes together in one of our games, as of late. Pretty cool.

rikrok
04-06-2009, 01:17 PM
The best course of action is be warey when getting into 3rd party supplements. For the most part, they are over powered and under balanced...but the king of kings on this board Valdar (I'm not being snippy, I'm impressed with your knowledge and logic) already pointed out!

If you are looking for a setting, just make a city-state. Have a king, make it human really. Have Humans vs everything, and the reason why other races are allowed is that they are from far off lands, but are familiar.

Monsters? Just reskin monsters from the MM to do what you want them to do.

Kaewin
04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I've spent plenty of time doing my homebrew worlds that I would just like to use something made by someone else. I am going to customize it anyway I just want the bare bones

I have an old world but I don't feel like updating it and all of the monsters to it.