PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Heroes

yukonhorror
03-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Does the content from heroes provide inspiration for your games? Do you like the show in general?

I think it would be a great GURPS game (probably not Heroes Unlimited), but what do I know.

I love the show, but wanted to know what the Super-Heroic Genre players/GM's think.

ronpyatt
03-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I could see this game being simulated in GURPS. Generic systems such as Hero Systems, Fudge, FATE, and PDQ could do it. Mutants and Masterminds might be able to handle it. Perhaps BASH if you leave out the spandex.

Just about any show I watch provides inspiration for gaming material. Even a simple innocuous comment can spin my brain in a new direction and get me ready for a gaming session with a new villain or a new situation.

Heroes is a great show, and when I'm ready to run another supers game, I think it will help that I've watched the show.

Sascha
03-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Caught up on the last two weeks' worth last night - the roommate and I tend to collect DVR'd shows for weekends or nights with nothing else on. The first season and a half definitely stirred up the itch for a supers game, which I may have to pitch once the current game winds down.

Other than a few of the crazier powers, Heroes is quite within the "intended" Heroes Unlimited power level (assuming you take Siembieda's essays as a mission statement, heh), though there's precedent for even those, too.

If I were running it, though? FATE/Spirit of the Century, methinks; stunts and aspects (especially aspects) make for wonderful ability rules. But it could be that I'm heavily leaning towards FATE for just about everything nowadays :P

The one thing you could take away from Heroes is a respect for a tight focus - the first season had it (getting to know your abilities, and how all the heroes are interconnected); subsequent seasons, not so much.

Valdar
03-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Just watched the most recent ep on Hulu.com. Amazing show.

Not sure how I'd write a game based on it though- a lot of it would be hard to convert to tabletop- starting with the random groupings of characters that make up the "party" for the week... It would be a very different story if it were the same characters every time.

yukonhorror
03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Just watched the most recent ep on Hulu.com. Amazing show.

Not sure how I'd write a game based on it though- a lot of it would be hard to convert to tabletop- starting with the random groupings of characters that make up the "party" for the week... It would be a very different story if it were the same characters every time.

I kind of meant in terms of general plotlines, general setting, and such. Not really specific characters or a replay of the show. Like capturing escaped level 5 baddies, or sabotaging the attempts of the gov. to capture special people.

I.e. give inspiration for "missions" and "villains" and such.

Guardian
04-01-2009, 07:31 PM
It gave me inspiration to run a game kind of like it using BESM. My players really loved the game and how it played.

I don't think I could ever run a game exactly like it. But it's still a great show though!