PDA

View Full Version : GURPs <insert movie title>

Azatoth
03-21-2009, 12:32 PM
I think of a lot of systems GURPs lends itself well to movie conversions. List five movies you think would make for a good GURPs game.

Underworld
Alien/Predator/Space Marines
Hellboy
Dune
Lord of the Rings

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Dragon Slayer
13th Warrior
Firefly
Event Horizon (for the gothic horror feel)
Escape from Mars
Wing Commander

Azatoth
03-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Ohhh Even Horizon, nice one!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Ohhh Even Horizon, nice one!
I realize it wasnt that great, but there was a magic to it that will forever guarantee it on a list of sci-fi horror cult classics.

Nice thread, btw, Azatoth. Thanx for initiating it. Glad to have you on the boards.

Silverthorne
03-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Riddick Chronicles. (you know you want to.)

Azatoth
03-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks Thoth, I wasn't being sarcastic though. That movie I think would have great potential for a Space/Horror.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks Thoth, I wasn't being sarcastic though. That movie I think would have great potential for a Space/Horror.
No worries, Azatoth, i didnt take it as sarcastic. I completely agree with you on Event Horizon. The movie has a magic that will forever define it as a cult classic sci-fi goth horror.

cmac
03-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Seven Samurai
Ghost in a Shell
Any James Bond Movie (although I really like the newest one)
Pulp Fiction
The New Batman

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Seven Samurai
Ghost in a Shell
Any James Bond Movie (although I really like the newest one)
Pulp Fiction
The New Batman
Seven Samurai... excellent choice, cmac. I loved that movie, and definitely, arguably, one of the greatest movies of all time.

Supernatural, the series. Excellent.
Buck Rogers: Princess Ardala and Col. Wilma Deering. Mmm, simply delicious.
Night of the Living Dead... or any living dead movie, easily.
BattleStar Galactica

cmac
03-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Seven Samurai... excellent choice, cmac. I loved that movie, and definitely, arguably, one of the greatest movies of all time.

Why thank you. Own a copy..just wish I could understand Japanese. :) Would be nice to watch it with out subtitles.

I notice lots of sci-fi themes in the movie choices.

How about these:
Gettysburg
Kill Bill
Outlaw Jose Whales
Man on Fire
HBO series: not really movies
Rome
Deadwood

cliff
03-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Blade Runner
The One (Isn't that kinda the default setting for GURPS 4e anyway?)
Planet of the Apes (Heston, not Marky Mark)
Wizards
Rock & Rule

Reaching into books opens up a plethora of ideas, I'm going to list a few of those too:

Niven's Known Space/Ringworld.
Garret & Heydron's Gandalara Cycle
Simmons' Hyperion Cantos
May's Galactic Milieu/Saga of Pliocene Exile
Vinge's universe from A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky

yukonhorror
03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
not movies, but

Lost
Heroes
reaper

movies
Van Helsing
Resident evil movies
Monty Python and the holy grail
Sneakers

fmitchell
03-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to list movies for which GURPS wouldn't be suitable? For example:

GURPS My Dinner With Andre (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082783/): two guys talking over dinner, for the whole movie.

GURPS Millenium Actress (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291350/): elderly actress reminisces, and confuses her actual life with the movies she's been in.

GURPS Robot Monster (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046248/): just too stupid.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Wouldnt be suitable:

GURPS The Holiday: 4 people, xmas, love.
GURPS It's a Wonderful Life: Classic, but not worthy of an rpg
GURPS Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: Almost anything John Candy can be funny

Okay, back to the thread:
Would be suitable:

Forbidden Planet: Classic Science Fiction. They need to remake this one.
Robinson Crusoe on Mars: Oldie but goodie.
Firefly: Classic
Equilibrium: Awesomeness
Wing Commander: Cult classic awesomeness
Alien: All

cliff
03-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to list movies for which GURPS wouldn't be suitable?

I think the unwritten subtext isn't just that GURPS would be well suited to running worlds based on popular franchises, but that we'd be particularly interest in playing them.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Not only are they NOT suited for GURPS, but i would have absolutely NO interest in playing listed games.

cliff
03-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Indeed, but that was more a response to the guy saying "the list would be shorter if we listed genres that wouldn't work." heh.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Indeed, but that was more a response to the guy saying "the list would be shorter if we listed genres that wouldn't work." heh.
Perhaps i shouldnt have capitalized those two words. Now that i am getting better(sickly the last couple of days), i can see where it may give off a message not intended. My bad.

cliff
03-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Honestly, I think any unusual one-shot would be interesting. Actually, a "It's a Wonderful Life" could be interesting if you took the theme of it and applied it to your existing game. Show your players what the world would be like without all the heroics they've gone through.

cmac
04-06-2009, 03:23 PM
You know I had a thought about "It's a Wonderful life". You could use the basic premis and twist it.

The characters are supernatural hunters after the angel which isn't an angel after all.

cliff
04-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Or twist it a little further and the characters are agents of Infinity, and the "angel" is actually a meddler who is screwing with time or somethin'. heh.

cmac
04-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Infinity Agents..even better. See "It's a Wonderful Life" could work.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 06:43 PM
If one thinks It's a Wonderful Life would work, then The Bishops Wife would work too

cigamnogard
04-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Uncle Buck!

cliff
04-07-2009, 07:39 PM
If one thinks It's a Wonderful Life would work, then The Bishops Wife would work too

heh... I don't have enough frame of reference, but throw in some of the ideas from GURPS In Nomine and I imagine you could twist it into something that gamers would play. heh.

cigamnogard
04-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I have never watched either movie...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Uncle Buck!
Uncle Buck? Excellent movie. How 'bout The Great Outdoors?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095253/

cmac
04-07-2009, 08:20 PM
You know my daughters Favorite movie trilogy would be perfect

The Mummy

cigamnogard
04-07-2009, 08:22 PM
You know my daughters Favorite movie trilogy would be perfect

The Mummy
Yes, they would make great Gurps games!
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Uncle Buck? Excellent movie. How 'bout The Great Outdoors?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095253/

I love it when the bear jumps on the door that he is hiding underneath!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I have never watched either movie...
I watch them every year around xmas. You should do same. Great flicks for the holidays, cigamnogard. You wont be disappointed. Be sure to see the original version of The Bishops Wife, for the newer version failed to capture the magic.

cigamnogard
04-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Hmmm...I have a 7 year old and a 14 year old - still good to go?

I watch them every year around xmas. You should do same. Great flicks for the holidays, cigamnogard. You wont be disappointed. Be sure to see the original version of The Bishops Wife, for the newer version failed to capture the magic.
:confused:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Definitely. Kids appropriate, w/o question.

cigamnogard
04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Excellent! I was worried it might be something like: The name of the Rose.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Excellent! I was worried it might be something like: The name of the Rose.
I would consider that a great period piece. A cult classic, if you will. Hmm, now where is my copy on dvd, reading WFRP novels has gotten me in the mood for some dark and gloomy eye candy.

cigamnogard
04-08-2009, 03:51 PM
That would make an awesome DnD adventure.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-08-2009, 03:57 PM
That would make an awesome DnD adventure.
Already ran it in my WFRP campaign. The players loved it.

cigamnogard
04-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Wfrp?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Wfrp?
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. I like to refer to it as DnD on Evil Steroids.

The 10 Truths in WFRP, or in any campaign that i run, be it Traveller, DnD, you name it:

GM offers his services for SF and fantasy campaigns. Bay Area, CA. (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9700) <--Shameless Plug.

In my games, there are a few constants to be aware of:

1) The world isnt always fair.
2) Good doesnt always triumph over evil.
3) To call human beings rats is an insult to rats.
4) People lie for no reason.
5) Ignorance (and its sister, superstition) reigns supreme.
6) Careful who you trust, for you know not others secret ambitions.
7) Always watch your back.
8) Even Kings, Generals, and Hero's can die by food poisening, so use your wisdom.
9) What truly is good and evil? No two persons can ever agree when perspectives are argued.
10) "There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world." -and- "There are older and fouler things than humans living in the dark corners of the Universe."

cigamnogard
04-08-2009, 05:40 PM

Ah ha! I have only played Warhammer 40,000

cmac
04-08-2009, 06:32 PM

The 10 Truths in WFRP, or in any campaign that i run, be it Traveller, DnD, you name it:

GM offers his services for SF and fantasy campaigns. Bay Area, CA. (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9700) <--Shameless Plug.

In my games, there are a few constants to be aware of:

1) The world isnt always fair.
2) Good doesnt always triumph over evil.
3) To call human beings rats is an insult to rats.
4) People lie for no reason.
5) Ignorance (and its sister, superstition) reigns supreme.
6) Careful who you trust, for you know not others secret ambitions.
7) Always watch your back.
8) Even Kings, Generals, and Hero's can die by food poisening, so use your wisdom.
9) What truly is good and evil? No two persons can ever agree when perspectives are argued.
10) "There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world." -and- "There are older and fouler things than humans living in the dark corners of the Universe."

You know when I used go GM I ran my games with the same mindset. I really don't like the Happy - you always win - kind of games, but Winning is important of course. Characters die. One reason I'm a GURPS convert. You have to play smart (numbers kill) and even an untrained civilian can kill a Martial Arts master. HPs stay the same and you can easily die from one blow. Got to love it.

Something to ad to your list

11. If you have it chances are pretty good someone else wants it too.

cigamnogard
04-08-2009, 06:37 PM
#8 Should include nosebleeds.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-08-2009, 10:26 PM
#8 Should include nosebleeds.
No question, there was inbreeding. This is an alternate 13th century Earth

cigamnogard
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
LOL! No, nosebleeds - Atila the Hun. However, you are correct there was too much inbreading.

cliff
04-09-2009, 02:20 PM
I must admit, I don't go for the "grim" style as much in my own play... although that of course depends on the genre. But for Fantasy, not so much. While I'll kill players for screwing up, I won't kill them just to emphasize that the world isn't fair. My games tend to be a bit more cinematic at their core.

Except for my Cyberpunk, but even then it's not quite as you describe it - perhaps the difference between gritty and grim.

cigamnogard
04-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Depends on the players "."

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 03:52 PM
LOL! No, nosebleeds - Atila the Hun. However, you are correct there was too much inbreading.
These people were nuts... believing somehow their blood was better than everyone elses.

cigamnogard
04-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Divine blood.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 07:07 PM
They did believe in the divine right of kings. Must have been a great time to be a king, but a peasant, not so much.

cigamnogard
04-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Maybe but a peasent didn't have to worry about an assassin waiting behind everydoor.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Maybe but a peasent didn't have to worry about an assassin waiting behind everydoor.
True, but i'd much rather be watching out for assassins that for food on a daily basis. Buy hey, that's just me.

cigamnogard
04-13-2009, 04:46 PM
I am not sure that it was as bad as it was made out to be.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-13-2009, 05:43 PM
On the one had, id like to say your correct. But, taking human nature into account, i'd say it could have very possibly been worse.

cigamnogard
04-21-2009, 07:19 PM
In some cases - for sure but I am unconvinced overall it was that bad. Otherwise suicide would have been more rampant...yes, it was a sin but if the conditions were so awful...well you get my drift.

cliff
04-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Well, we're getting to the point where we'll start to wax philosophical if we're not careful (but then, this is a GURPS forum, right?)... but without frame of reference, I don't think they would.

Part of why it would be so miserable for us is because we have known better. It would be the loss of a really good life that would make us miserable enough to override our survival instinct. If we didn't, if all we had ever known was the life of a peasant, we wouldn't know any better... and we'd scratch out a living as we could.

But I sure as heck wouldn't want to be a peasant. I've got a healthy distrust of authority, and when exposed to the nobility thing, it really pisses me off. It's why I can't play Warhammer Fantasy, my poor, meek little Priests always end up serial killers whenever a nobleman started being a jerk... I get completely out of character over it.

fmitchell
04-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Medieval European peasants had it bad relative to most modern Americans, but I doubt it was a life of unremitting toil and gloom. We're used to modern conveniences and comparatively abundant leisure time (evenings and weekends), but it's a bit dramatic to think that losing those would drive vast numbers to suicide ... most people adjust and make a living however they can. A few Westerners even move to impoverished third-world countries and live there (usually for a few years).

Warhammer, and many movies, play up the grit and grime of the medieval period, but, for example, medieval people had better teeth than most moderns, simply because they didn't have refined sugar. The Elizabethan era ushered in an age of extraordinarily bad teeth.
I guess to get the game started again, I'd better list some movies:

Watchmen
V for Vendetta

Along with the Christopher Nolan's Batman movies, I like the idea of costumed vigilantes who rely only on physical conditioning, skills, a few (or a lot of) plausible gadgets, and a whole lot of guts. A long time ago I had an idea for a low-powered superhero campaign where Batman (or an expy) was the senior hero, but Bruce Wayne existed only in comics loosely based on him; much like the later Batman Beyond, there was one guy who did the rough stuff, and one guy behind the scenes who did the thinking.

Also, I wish someone had a sourcebook for earthbound retro-futures like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Metropolis, or Things to Come.

cigamnogard
04-22-2009, 03:33 PM
All the Indiana Jones movies!

Omegaman
06-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Does GURPS actually do well mechanically with the big monsters like aliens? being deadly in combat, it seems that those type of games would eat through the characters pretty fast.

cliff
06-15-2009, 06:40 PM
That seems realistic to me. When faces with an Alien, you shouldn't expect your entire party to survive.

cigamnogard
06-15-2009, 07:22 PM
All the Aliens movies then ;)

Umiushi
06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
GURPS is the game I own the most material from, without ever having seriously played it. Therefore, my preferences may not be solidly grounded. Still, here they are: setting mooks aside, I've always imagined that GURPS lends itself to games with a relatively small cast of highly detailed NPCs that the party interacts with fairly often. I don't much care for the vehicles rules, whether it's spaceships, mecha, or race cars, so I would probably stay away from making those the center of my games. Also, fighting hordes of faceless minions all at once, or going through lots of flashy pyrotechnics, I leave that for other games. I picked stories that reflect these preferences of mine.

Lawrence of Arabia - Epic, fantasy-like campaign in a near-contemporary setting and lots of fun with character advantages and disadvantages.

I'm also going to stray away from movies.

Kanon - Wonderful opportunities to throw in lots of supernatural abilities without going all "Teenagers from Outer Space" on the party. I believe there might be a GURPS Kanon sourcebook published in Japan, but I couldn't say for sure...could have been a hoax or an unlicensed work. Air would work for similar reasons.

The Last Light of the Sun - Use GURPS Vikings along with GURPS Middle Ages I, and you're practically already there.

Doctor Who/Torchwood - This is your sandbox for all those truly weird GURPS abilities.

Eden of the East - There's no question that it would be a real headache for the referee to come up with the price list here, but wow, this could be a game your players will remember for the rest of their lives. If I had a copy of GURPS Prisoner, it would be interesting to see how well the ideas in it would lend themselves to an Eden of the East game.

misterecho
08-26-2009, 12:54 PM
I would much rather play torchwood than who! can i be jack!! regenerating immortal charactor? thats gunna b hard to gm

sorry for the threadromancy

michael
08-28-2009, 11:02 AM
I didn't read the whole thread, so please excuse any duplicates.

I would love to play Gurps as the movies:
Evil Dead 2
Brazil
Any Star Wars
Any Matrix
Equilibrium

:)

Harwel
08-28-2009, 11:09 AM
GURPS Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Eryiedes
11-14-2009, 02:06 PM
GURPS Forbidden Kingdom (Kurosawa or otherwise)
or
GURPS (Insert any Tony Jaa/Jackie Chan/Chun Yow Fat movie here)
or
GURPS Kagemusha

Then again I have always had a soft spot for movies originating from asian cultures.

Peace & Love

Eryiedes
11-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Blade Runner
Wizards
Rock & Rule

ROCK & RULE......AWESOME

(She can sing or SHE CAN SCREAAAAAMMMMMM....but she still pissed me off.)

Peace & Light (...& Ohmstown)

cliff
11-17-2009, 03:30 PM
ROCK & RULE......AWESOME

(She can sing or SHE CAN SCREAAAAAMMMMMM....but she still pissed me off.)

Peace & Light (...& Ohmstown)

I was awful happy a few years back when Unearthed Films re-released it.

Eryiedes
11-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I was awful happy a few years back when Unearthed Films re-released it.

I even used it as a basis of a metamorphosis alpha adventure.....(before it became known as "Gamma World")

One of the most underated animated forays since....(big suprise here).....WIZARDS!!!!!

"THEY KILLED FRITZ....THOSE MISERABLE LITTLE....A-ahem.....(but I digress)"

Peace & Light (...& Ralph Bakshi)

cliff
11-17-2009, 04:42 PM
"THEY KILLED FRITZ....THOSE MISERABLE LITTLE....A-ahem.....(but I digress)"

That was such a great rant.

Eryiedes
11-24-2009, 03:13 PM
GURPS Flash Gordon?
(Hadda be said)

Peace & Light (...& FLASH, AHHH-AHHHHHHHHH....HE'LL SAVE EVERY ONE OF US!!!)

cliff
11-24-2009, 04:53 PM
GURPS: Atomic Horror (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/AtomicHorror/) comes pretty close, especially if you mix it with some GURPS: Lensman. (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Lensman/)

Eryiedes
11-24-2009, 09:02 PM
GURPS Jay & Silent Bob?

Peace & Light (...& 4:20 Dude)

oldgringo2001
12-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Similiar to GURPS Millenium Actress:
GURPS Ronald Reagan-senile President reminisces about his life, confusing it with movies he's been in. I lived through the real thing--and, no, it was not just a rumor.

And now for some genuine franchises that would work well as GURPS settings:

GURPS Codominium

This is a Hard Science Fiction background based on the future history begun by Jerry Pournelle. It begins with a pragmatic alliance between the USA and the Soviet Union, effectively forming a world government that lasts for about a century. It falls apart, but not before human colonies are established in dozens of other star systems. Most of the stories are military adventures, but Larry Niven added the Moties, one of the most fascinating alien races ever created, other authors, including S.M.Stirling made the Saurons into one of the best "improved" human races.

GURPS Draka

S.M. Stirling created a super-race of his own, a remarkably attractive and frightening one, and an elaborate alternate history--and alternate world travel. No cat girls so far, but it does have man-eating baboons with assault rifles.

GURPS Worlds of Harry Turtledove

The prolific Mr. Turtledove has churned out an eight-book series about The Race (invaders from Tau Ceti who look like chameleons); not one but two South-wins-the-Civil-War sagas; a two-book Japan takes Hawaii story; a series of stories where Muhammad became a Christian and the Byzantine Empire survives; a series of four (so far) cross-time travel adventures, and a novel (with Richard Dreyfuss) of a world where the American and the French Revolutions never happened--and more.

GURPS Flashman

George MacDonald Fraser took the bully of Tom Brown's School Days through the rest of the nineteenth century into the early twentieth in a series of cracking good tales about a congenital coward who keeps finding himself in the stickiest situations of his time, including the First Afghan War (where Britain managed to lose an entire army), the Charge of the Light Brigade, and Custer's Last Stand. At last, a background where you can explore the full dimensions of Fast Talk! Obviously will need character write-ups for Geronimo, Cu Xi the Dowager Empress, Emperor Franz Jozef ("his ambition seemed to be to infect as many women as possible with venereal diseases"), Mad Queen Ranilova of Madagascar, Mad Emperor Theodore of Ethiopia, Curly Bill Brocius and Otto von Bismarck.

Note that I have chosen series of books and short stories, not movies or TV series. Just about every one you'd really be interested in has or has had an official RPG out by now.

The Outlaw Josie Wales is one of my favorite movies, but I've never been tempted to GURPS-ize it. I've read the novel it was based on (Gone to Texas, by Forrest Carter) and for the benefit of the earlier poster, Carter wrote a second Wales book where he meets Geronimo. I've seen the two bundled together in a single trade paperback. Carter also wrote The Education of Little Tree--and, back in the Fifties and Sixties, under his real name, Asa Carter, some of the fieriest tracts against the end of Jim Crow in the South.