PDA

View Full Version : Do we April meet

ronpyatt
03-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Who's turn is it to organize our next meet? Volunteers? One shots?

GoddessGood
03-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Ow, the title of this thread hurts my grammar gland. I had a fun time at XMax games and it might be nice to head back that way again, but something tells me food is a greater motivator ;). My tuesdays are free on general principle, so any week is probably good for me.

Chris House
03-29-2009, 11:11 AM
we have the gamefest at Plano community center the 4th, how about april the 16th ? any one?

GoddessGood
04-14-2009, 04:37 PM
The month is not yet passed, we can still get together. How about a wings and beer night again, as that seems to have some draw? There are a couple Tuesdays left, namely the 21st and 28th. Can anyone make those nights? We could meet at the Lemmon Ave Buffalo Wild Wings.

Genesplicer
04-14-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm up for it on either day.

Chris House
04-15-2009, 08:35 AM
but Lets make it some place easier to get to. . . .
why not meet at madness games , right next door is Chicago's Pizza - say 7:15 ? on the 21st. this gives every one a chance to look around the store if thier early and walk to Chicago's Pizza?
if this is cool its on Custered and Parker. southwestern side residing owner is Chris and he can make space or we can go to Chicago.

if this is not cool
please intervine here and make another suggestion!
Also if every one would like I could bring second age of Atlantis and give a quick 2 hr game from 8: - 10:
those who want to meet and eat can go to ether subways next door or Chicago best pizza say at 6:45 ?

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Meeting at a gaming store is a good idea, but we might want to pick a more central location. The only more centrally located game store I know of is XMax games, and they have somewhat limited parking but could easily have food delivered.I know I wouldn't mind an excuse to go back there :) He's got a sweet set up and I had fun last time we met there (in march).

Chris House
04-16-2009, 08:51 AM
well its a pain to get to X max I like and all but its like traffic hell on a week night! I was hoping for something well easier to get to!

ronpyatt
04-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Finding the right time and Location! Location! Location!
The Dallas area is like a really big town stretched out over several out-of-the-way locations. There are so many cities in every direction that it often feels like you are in the center no matter where you live in the Dallas area.

Should we pick a different location every month in order to reach out to as many gamers as we can?
Should we try to stay focused within a few miles of Downtown Dallas?
Is food / a meal / access to food a big deal?
Is beer more important?
Will the noise level be a problem? Noisy places appear to make it hard even for those that carry a big voice. Quiet places... well, we tend to annoy those trying to read or study while we get loud.
Is being able to game at the meets important? We've gamed at these events, but the diversity of genre and system preferences is too great to be inclusive of everyone unless we have multiple games at once.
Should we break up into smaller satellite meets? There appears to be a large concentration of gamers in north and central Dallas. (see below)

The time/day, whether on a weekday and weekend, is just as important. There is less of traffic problem on Monday and Tuesday evenings, but getting anywhere during rush hour will be annoying for anyone who has to pass through a congested area. By the time some get there it would be little time for socializing.

Xmax Games is between lower Greenville and Lakewood, not far from Downtown Dallas, but it does take a few minutes to wind through city streets to get there from the Highway (75 or 30).

Hollywood Xtreme is right off the Highway (80 just east of 635), but it does mean driving out to Mesquite, which can be a long haul for Plano, Arlington, and Cedar Hill folks.

Generation X in Bedford has a gaming room. It's between Dallas and Fort Worth, but closer to Fort Worth. Not too bad for Grapevine, Irving, Arlington, North Richland Hills, and Hurst, but it does make for a long drive for Mesquite, Garland, and Plano.

Then there are other cities like Balch Springs, Grand Prairie, Rowlett, Duncanville, Keller, DeSoto, The Colony, Mansfield, Carrollton, Coppel, Lewisville, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Seagoville, and Lancaster. (See below.)

Then the type of place to meet is important. Coffee shops such as Starbucks, Standards and Pours, and ...? can be great for small meets, but I remember getting about 23 folks at Starbucks in Richardson. Crowded. Infinitea was also nice (but it closed up shop).

For many of us, distance is not much of an issue. We'll travel more than 50 miles or over an hour just to get to a game. Transportation for others can be a little more restricted to things such as the range of public transportation, distance/time from children, work, and other obligations. (Road rage might also be a factor.)

Checking meetup.com I see that there are several meetups cropping up all over the metroplex. This means there are folks meeting here and there. Plano, Mesquite, Dallas, and Arlington have groups that meet. Some are actual games, but others are networking groups. We should make it a point to visit some of the other meetups, and get to know those gamers.
http://roleplayers.meetup.com/cities/us/tx/dallas/?from=loc_pick
http://dnd.meetup.com/cities/us/tx/dallas/?from=loc_pick

I pulled some rough numbers from the registry, and I know not all are active on this board and others are not on the list. Still, I think this might give us a rough idea of what we're looking at. We have hundreds of gamers in this area, but they're scattered. Many smaller city's can or might already be lumped in with their closer larger cities, but distance changes can be greater depending on where the meet is held.

Addison has 1 gamer
Allen has 5 gamers
Arlington has 21 gamer
Bedford has 5 gamers
Carrollton has 13 gamers
Cedar Hill has 1 gamer
Coppell has 4 gamers
Corinth has 1 gamer
Dallas has 63 gamers
DeSoto has 3 gamers
Denton has 1 gamer
Euless has 5 gamers
Everman has 1 gamer
Flower Mound has 1 gamer
Fort Worth has 17 gamers
Frisco has 9 gamers
Garland has 15 gamers
Grand Prairie has 8 gamers
Grapevine has 4 gamers
Haltom City has 4 gamers
Highland Village has 1 gamer
Hurst has 3 gamers
Irving has 21 gamer
Keller has 8 gamers
Lewisville has 7 gamers
Little Elm has 2 gamers
Mansfield has 1 gamer
McKinney has 5 gamers
Mesquite has 2 gamers
Midlothian has 1 gamer
North Richland Hills has 3 gamers
Plano has 30 gamers
Prosper has 1 gamer
Richardson has 13 gamers
Roanoke has 3 gamers
Rockwall has 5 gamers
Rowlett has 2 gamers
The Colony has 1 gamer
Wylie has 5 gamers

What kind of conclusions can we draw from this? What questions should we be asking?

Chris House
04-17-2009, 11:50 AM
if Dallas and plano hooked up that 90 gamers !
if Alington came along that 110 - wow
how do we pick a place to pull that many gamers for meet up ! ?

Maybe we should approuch a book store or game shoppe to sponsor us in a kicking location that is is central to the metropolis?
Like Half price books on north west highway and 75
central and if we said we could bring them possibly 90 customers a month.
who knows
or maybe lone star in Arlington
or Xmax Games they do have a lot of room right now!@

Genesplicer
04-18-2009, 03:23 PM
ronpaytt raises some good points on setting up meetings for our social group. Points that are definatly worth discussing. But for now, we need to make arangements for this mounth, and we have but 2 weeks left. So far, we have 3 suggestions for location: XMax games, madness games, and Hollywood Xtreme. I have not been to any of these location, and have to admit that I would like an excuse to visit Xmax. ronpaytt has given me prety good idea where Hollywood Xeme is, and I know where XMax is from Cyotte5's profile. I could make it to either of them. Where is madness games?

ronpyatt
04-19-2009, 12:02 PM
I've not been to Madness Games (http://www.madnessgames.com/) in Plano (map) (http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=chrome&q=3131+Custer+Road+Suite+%23+125+Plano+TX+75075&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=LVbrSaLLO8OHtgenn63MBQ&z=16&iwloc=A). On Sunday closed at 7pm, Monday and Tuesday they close at 8pm. Most other nights they close at 9pm, save Saturday closed at midnight.

GoddessGood
04-20-2009, 09:37 AM
I've been to Madness Games and Lonestar Comics (they are very near each other) in Plano. I, for one, would vote for XMax again, as the store has plenty of room and we could call out for food if need be. Madness Games would be my second choice.

I think it speaks to the health of the hobby in the region that we have so many registered players just on this site :). It's a good sight to see.

Genesplicer
04-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Well, it looks like Chris House is voting for Madness and GoddesGood is advocating XMax.

From ronpaytt's info, it looks like if we're going to Madness it'll have to be on the 25th or early on the 26th. I have no Idea what XMax's hours are.

I'm available from the 26th through the end of the month. I can make either location on those days, but I'm leaning twowards XMax.

Any defenative vote on that from ronpaytt?

GoddessGood
04-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Thought we were meeting on tuesdays?

Chris House
04-20-2009, 01:10 PM
lets go to Xmax - madness time slots my be to limiting! unless we go on a saturday the 25th !

Genesplicer
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Xmax it is, and it looks like that puts us there on the 28th. What time do we get the party started?

ronpyatt
04-20-2009, 11:41 PM
6:00pm on Tuesday (with late stragglers expected and welcome, of course)

Bring some show and tell game stuff.

GoddessGood
04-21-2009, 10:11 AM
I'll be there :) But it'll be the last tuesday for a while that I have free. I got approved to take a technical class (for free!) for work, and it's too good an opportunity to pass up.

See you there :)

Genesplicer
04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Pencil me in. Oh, and maybe one of us should pencil it in on the event callender...

ronpyatt
04-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Should we have prizes?

Dimthar
04-21-2009, 08:26 PM
At what time do they close?

Is anyone interested in a one shot of CoC starting at 7:30-8:00?

Genesplicer
04-22-2009, 04:43 AM
Should we have prizes?

For what?

Is anyone interested in a one shot of CoC starting at 7:30-8:00?

What is CoC?

Dimthar
04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
CoC = Call of Chtulhu

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4857

Is an idea I've been playing around for a long... long... time

Genesplicer
04-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Ah! I wouldn't mind trying it out.

ronpyatt
04-26-2009, 05:48 PM
CoC sounds cool.

fmitchell
04-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

GoddessGood
04-26-2009, 06:09 PM
One of the players in my group was talking about running a CoC module, so it'd be fun to get a sneak peek.

Dimthar
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
You can RSVP now ..

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=3444&day=2009-4-28&c=1

Genesplicer
04-27-2009, 09:25 PM
See everybody tomarrow!!!:biggrin:

GoddessGood
04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Suhweet! I got the boyfriend to come along. Been wanting to show him this place :)

Dimthar
04-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I hope to be there no later than 7:30 pm, Angry Wife kidnapped the car!

GoddessGood
04-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks for bringing the Cthulhu! Sorry we couldn't stay longer to keep going. Having to get up at 6 am pretty much means we have to pack it in at 10. Was great seeing everyone and meeting someone new :).

Genesplicer
04-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Had a blast. Xmax Games is prety cool. The Cthulhu looks interesting. Can't wait to do it all agian next month.

Dimthar
05-01-2009, 03:11 PM
In regards to the discussion of some paranoid players insisting in sleep in Armor.

Well, DnD 4th has 2 Magic Armors, one that transforms into any type of clothes (will not grant AC in that state) and one that is sent to some extra-planar closet that will be donned automatically when recalled.

Hehehe, I already chose 1 for my character.

Carlos A.

Genesplicer
05-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Yea, I knew about those. The two dwarven wariors had their armor converted to summoned long ago, as the GM likes to roll random ecounter tables to see if any one ambushes us while camping at night. My wizards wear leather, so it's not a problem. I'm about to convert them to scale, just because the the atribute bonuss to AC can't keep up with the higher AC's of the heavier masterwork armor (having to burn a lot of feets to do it though, so I'm not sure if its worth it. These characters are esentualy a test bed for that strategy.) Fortunatly, they're Eladrin, so they don't actualy sleep, just meditate. If the GM wants to insist that wearing the armor is not conducive to the meditations, I'll convert them to the transforming armor, but I don't see that as becoming an issue.