PDA

View Full Version : Munchkins, Monstrosities and Unbalanced Maniacs

kirksmithicus
03-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Just for fun :D, If you could create a 4e character without all of those pesky rules; picking and choosing exploits from any class, dropping exploit requirement,( i.e. light weapons, ranged) and such. What sort of unbalanced munchkin monstrosity would you, or could you create?

Thriondel Half-Elven
04-08-2009, 04:01 PM
not too familiar with the 4.0 stuff but i've always been a stickler for a magic casting warrior. with no spell failure chance. (not sure if thats even in 4.0)

kirksmithicus
04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
I think it's funny that I posted this and no one seemed interested, but now it appears that the 4e PHB 3 will be subtitled Munchkins, Monstrosities and Unbalanced Maniacs (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090406). I'm such a trend setter. :twitch:

rikrok
04-08-2009, 09:13 PM
The hybrid thing isn't as bad as you think it is

kirksmithicus
04-08-2009, 09:35 PM
I know, just poking fun :boink:. I think they might be doing it because the multi-classing in 4e just isn't that good.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-08-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm not as knowledgeable as i should be with 4E. If i was, i would surely submit creations to this thread. As it is, Thoth's spirit will haunt it from time to time, curious about others submissions.

rikrok
04-08-2009, 10:56 PM
I think its arguable about the multiclass system. It does need work.

kirksmithicus
04-09-2009, 03:14 AM
I don't know, seems they could have mixed it up a little more.

Grimwell
04-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I haven't seen much in 4e that has been abused (yet) to really have a contribution.

I did find a nice power for my Warlord in a short lived game that pretty much ensured that my rogue friend would have combat advantage every round (sliding, etc. is fun!); but it wasn't that overpowered and the rogue was still subject to getting hit back.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I know for a fact that there's a way to abuse the wizard, but i dont have first hand knowledge on the hows.

Grimwell
04-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Then how can you know for a fact? :)

I'm more than willing to admit it's likely to be there, just playing with your words. :D

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Because i know one of the guys that playtested it before being released. That coupled with the fact that a close friend used the playtesters advice and his character really does own the group.

88% to go!

1958Fury
04-09-2009, 10:37 PM
I know for a fact that there's a way to abuse the wizard,

...is that what they're calling it these days? :redface:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Wizards, spellcasters, magic users, oh my.

kirksmithicus
04-10-2009, 12:25 AM
I know for a fact that there's a way to abuse the wizard, but i dont have first hand knowledge on the hows.

Usually I just mock him, unless he really makes me mad, and I always tell him "that wasn't bad....... for a guy in a skirt". :D

1958Fury
04-10-2009, 08:56 AM
I saw a thread on the Gleemax forums about powers that were too powerful, here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1164494). Also, they discuss possible abuse of the Half-Elf's "Versatile Master" option here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1163791).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Usually I just mock him, unless he really makes me mad, and I always tell him "that wasn't bad....... for a guy in a skirt". :D
It's a magical robe! Common mistake with the peasants. :D

kirksmithicus
04-10-2009, 11:20 AM
I saw a thread on the Gleemax forums about powers that were too powerful, here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1164494). Also, they discuss possible abuse of the Half-Elf's "Versatile Master" option here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1163791).

Thanks for the link. It hits upon something that I myself thought was a problem with a serious potential for abuse. IMO the At-will power twin strike should have been a minor action, or move action, that has the requirement that you first have to make a standard attack. As it is written you get two actions for the price of one. Making it a minor or move action may not completely fix it, but it will on occasion force the PC to make tactical choices (i.e. do I need to move or use that action for something else). Anyway just my thoughts

It's a magical robe! Common mistake with the peasants. :D Well I can understand their confusion, as my sister wore the same magical robe to her prom.

1958Fury
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the link.

No problem. Poking around that board, I've also seen a few mentions of wizards (especially Orb wizards) like Thoth mentions. Something about how effects (the ones that require saves) stack.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the link. It hits upon something that I myself thought was a problem with a serious potential for abuse. IMO the At-will power twin strike should have been a minor action, or move action, that has the requirement that you first have to make a standard attack. As it is written you get two actions for the price of one. Making it a minor or move action may not completely fix it, but it will on occasion force the PC to make tactical choices (i.e. do I need to move or use that action for something else). Anyway just my thoughts

Well I can understand their confusion, as my sister wore the same magical robe to her prom.
Oh yeah! Did hers have stars and half moons on it? I think not! :confused:

Again... peasants. :rolleyes:

1958Fury
04-10-2009, 09:29 PM
IMO the At-will power twin strike should have been a minor action, or move action, that has the requirement that you first have to make a standard attack. As it is written you get two actions for the price of one.

You get two attacks, but each does less damage than your normal attacks. For example, I play an Eladrin Ranger (Archer style). My twin strike fires off two 1d10 arrows - no damage bonus. My basic attack (and who uses basic attacks in 4e?) does 1d10+5.

So depending on your stats and weapons, the average damage may be about the same. And of course I'm only talking about lower levels here, as my character's still level 1.